VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Why AnyDVD HD ( now, RedFox AnyDVD HD) / DVDFab Passkey Lite need go online sometimes to open certain blu-ray discs?

When I try to open some blu-ray disc movies, sometimes the programs ask for internet connection.

Maybe the program need to "see / consult" any online database?

Its possible to "download" such database to our PC / devices, in a way that we do not need to go online all the times when we need to open some blu-ray discs?

In a hard situation that the program's site goes down, just like happened to former Slysoft, we lose the possibility to open some discs, if the access to some database online are stopped? Do we depend / need such online databases sometimes to open certain discs?

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have DVDFab Passkey. It does indeed consult an online database for decryption information and checks for software updates at the same time. The explanation I read as to why they are doing this is that the protection used for Blu-ray movies changes constantly, and since database is very large now, downloading only the relevant information for decrypting individual movies is faster.

DVDFab does have business rivals, so I would guess that they also don't want to make it possible for them to obtain a complete database to copy and use for a competing product at very little cost and effort.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi.

@usually_quiet

they are doing this is that the protection used for Blu-ray movies changes constantly

and since database is very large now, downloading only the relevant information for decrypting individual movies is faster.

Do you know if do we need to do it only ( access the online database for decrypting research purposes ) one time to open certain blu-ray discs or every time we play that disc the program will ask for internet connection?

So, it's not possible to "download" such database to store on our PC / devices and update it regularly? Only the program itself can have access to such database? Such program only consult such database to open the disc or during the process its download any update needed to open such discs later?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Internet connection is required for 1 - to decrypt the disc, because the disc decryption is performed on dvdfab's end.
    And 2 - to check to see if you have a valid license or you are using the trial version which will leave a watermark on the video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hi.

@usually_quiet

they are doing this is that the protection used for Blu-ray movies changes constantly

and since database is very large now, downloading only the relevant information for decrypting individual movies is faster.

Do you know if do we need to do it only ( access the online database for decrypting research purposes ) one time to open certain blu-ray discs or every time we play that disc the program will ask for internet connection?

So, it's not possible to "download" such database to store on our PC / devices and update it regularly? Only the program itself can have access to such database? Such program only consult such database to open the disc or during the process its download any update needed to open such discs later?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    I do not know the answer. I use DVDFab Passkey with PowerDVD Ultra, but I only need to use DVDFab Passkey once in a while when PowerDVD Ultra can't decrypt a movie. The movies that PowerDVD Ultra failed to decrypt have all been rentals, which I don't watch more than once. The movies that I own are not new, and PowerDVD Ultra can decrypt them by itself.
    Quote Quote