VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just completed editing my first wedding DVD in years using Premiere Elements and rendered it to an intermediate AVI format using the CineForm codec.

I now need to author it and is planning to make a DVD and a BD. Having been out of the game for a few years, I need to know if the "traditional" menu with chapters are still being used. Secondly, I see a lot of wedding intro templates e.g. by VideoHive where one can customise a short intro clip using wedding photos.

I have initially been struggling a lot with the new video formats, but after this project, I feel that I will gradually become able to use Premiere Pro. I believe that Encore is not being used and that the authoring function is now included in Premiere Pro.

I would appreciate a few comments re the menu and a short intro, as well as the feeling if I should buy Premiere Pro or go for one of the free encoders ( I see AVStoDVD seems popular as a free encoder and DVDStyler for authoring)

Thanks for any comments
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you also want bd would I try tmpgenc authoring works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I see AVStoDVD seems popular as a free encoder and DVDStyler for authoring
    Recommendable.

But just a sidenote on intro. My MO is always to create an ISO image/DVD folder structure first in order to test it before burning. To have an intro you could use a command in the First Play Domain (there are other ways). Should you use VLC to test note that the default behauvior of VLC is to skip the First Play Domain and go directly to the menu. It has confused several.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VLCDVDMenu.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	38345
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    after this project, I feel that I will gradually become able to use Premiere Pro. I believe that Encore is not being used and that the authoring function is now included in Premiere Pro.

I would appreciate a few comments re the menu and a short intro, as well as the feeling if I should buy Premiere Pro or go for one of the free encoders ( I see AVStoDVD seems popular as a free encoder and DVDStyler for authoring)
    Authoring is not part of Premiere. If you have an Adobe license for Premiere you have the right to download and use Encore, which works fine though it is no longer being updated.

AFAIK, DVDStyler and AVStoDVD do the same thing, so no need for both. Both are DVD authoring programs. AVStoDVD has superior encoding.

If I did not currently own Encore, I would use TMPGenc Authoring Works as Baldrick suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVDStyler and AVStoDVD do the same thing, so no need for both
    Actually there is.

If the OP wants a "chapter" menu this can't be done in AVStoDVD but it can in DVDStyler.

Some YouTube on the subject

How to Make Chapters in DVDStyler
    DVDStyler Using Chapters
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.

It appears that I will be able to get going with the freeware.

What is the general feeling from those that produce wedding DVDs. Should I start with the menu and then jump directly to the start where the bride's hair is being done or insert a short intro (eg something like this where you can load some wedding photos https://videohive.net/item/wedding-memories/9754814 ) before I start with the actual video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. jump directly to the start where the bride's hair is being done or insert a short intro
    That's for you to decide.

But my two cents: I sometimes make DVD from family/friends events. Typically lots of photos is also available so I make a short slideshow and use that as intro. I would never use some random matrial found on the net and not relevant to the event. But that just me.
    Quote Quote