VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there guys, been trying to sort this out for days now i cant figure it out.
    From the beginning:

-I recorded a video on my phone, my phone died while i was still recording.
    -This corrupted the mp4 file, which made in unplayable on any device. So i sent it to my PC and restored the file using Grau gmbH. And it worked. The file is now playable. Though all i can see is a black screen, sometimes grey (if i use VLC) with some green sections in it too. The sound is 100% there but there is no picture whatsoever.

Is there any way to get it working again? i would rather sacrafice the sound for the picture if thats the best result, as opposed to having sound but no Picture.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try graus video repair tool. Open a working mp4 from same phpne and the broken mp4 and try repair. The trial version will only repair half the movie but you will see if it gets any picture at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You could try graus video repair tool. Open a working mp4 from same phpne and the broken mp4 and try repair. The trial version will only repair half the movie but you will see if it gets any picture at all.
    I used this program to repair the unplayable .mp4 file to what is now a playable file but with a grey pixelated screen with working sound.
    Now its just working out how to restore the video part of the file so i can actually watch it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try recover_mp4.

It's a command line/prompt software so it's not that easy, see
    Code:
    Step 1: Use any good previous file with the same resolution and bitrate to generate the header files, for example

>recover_mp4.exe good.mp4 --analyze

It will create files 'video.hdr' and 'audio.hdr' in the current directory and print instructions (ffmpeg options, etc.).

Step 2: Recover streams from the corrupted file, for example

>recover_mp4.exe bad.mp4 recovered.h264 recovered.aac

Note: Files 'video.hdr' and 'audio.hdr' must be exist.
    Probably you need to add a specific option (look at instructions from step 1).

Step 3: Use any other utility (Yamb or ffmpeg for example) 
    to recreate the MP4/MOV file from the streams (recovered.h264 and recovered.aac). 

>ffmpeg.exe -r 30 -i recovered.h264 -i recovered.aac -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -c:v copy -c:a copy recovered.mp4
    Quote Quote