VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Earlier tonight i was screen capturing with cam studio for about 45 mins and then i save it as avi file. it saved as an avi but it wasn't playing on vlc player and it wasn't playing on wmv player either. it wasn't playing on no media player period . so i figured that the avi file was corrupted so i download divfix ++ and it said input file is not an avi file. so i download hex editor and usually it say RIFF for a avi file but it didn't all i got was the picture that i have attached can someone please give me any advice on how to salvage this video.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ahhgreat.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	38327  

Last edited by Baldrick; 28th Aug 2016 at 10:42. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download mediainfo and post (text mode) the report of the file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	38328

this was all i got
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do another short vid.

But it looks corrupt. Also not a good idea to capture/convert to your main OS drive. That could be the issue and a HDD OS write when you were either capturing (so did not get what you thought you were getting) or converting could have caused the corruption.
    Quote Quote  
  5. any way to recover or it's gone forever i really need that vid lol

thanks a whole lot
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's obviously not an AVI file. I suspect Cam Studio has an uncompressed raw video format -- hence the code "rawv". Do they have a utility to remux rawv to AVI? Was that a 556x416 recording?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah i think so
    Quote Quote  
  8. is there any way to convert the raw file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought from jagabo's comment.

The capture program could use a proprietory format. You could fire up Cam Studio and try to convert it again - of course you need the appropriate codec you are converting to. Also does Cam Studio play that file natively. If it does there is still hope. If it does not then I still suspect it is a lost cause.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would try a remux with ffmpeg. Something like

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.ext -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.avi
    Quote Quote