VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some DVDs that i want to encode myself in order to store them on my HDD.
    I've learned a lot from this forum about the use of avisyth.
    but i want to make sure i know every thing i need before i start encoding them, not to realize later i did some thing wrong.
    so i have a couple of questions.
    1.i tried using hand brake but it seems that you cant target exactly what you want to fix in the video, so i mainly use "AvsPmod" and Megui to encode.
    is this standart or is there something better i should use?
    2.should i encode the anime in x265 or x264?, i see all over the web that most people still use x264 and avoid x265 for some reason.
    can some one explain to me why? and what is the recommended approach ?
    3. is there a way to encode in a variable frame rate like with handbrake but with avisyth filters script?
    4. in Megui when i encode, for the sake of testing i insert high bit rate into "average bitrate" option, should i also do this when i encode the full thing (by high i mean 4000-5000 bit rate)
    5.with the use of mediainfo i figured that all the videos are "29.970" NTSC videos (all are interlaced and is clearly seen when played on VLC with deinterlacing off).
    does it mean the video is going at 29.970?, if so shouldn't they be encoded in 29.970 fps?
    some one told me they should be encoded in "23.976" and i just followed his advice , but can some one explain why?
    6.is "ColorYUV" is the main "color adjuster" ? and how can it be targeted at a specific part of the video?
    for example some times a scene have a red lamp or lightning which makes my color adjustment look very weird , but for the other parts it looks good.

here (1,2) an example of an encode i made (just the sample not the whole EP)
    is it good?
    here is the script

SetMtMode(5,4)
    Mpeg2Source("D:\VIDEO_TS.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) # deringing
    TFM(d2v="D:\VIDEO_TS.d2v", cthresh=5, pp=0) # field match
    TDecimate(mode=1) # decimate back to 23.976 fps, animation mode

ColorYUV(cont_y=10, cont_u=30, cont_v=30)
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709")
    TemporalDegrain(SAD1=100, SAD2=75, Sigma=4)
    Dup(blend=true, threshold=1.2)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="spline36resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    Sharpen(0.3, 0.3)
    also i have few questions regarding the filters
    7.how do i use "TemporalDegrain" without obliterating small detail in the video?
    some one gave me the one in the script (i dont know if its eve necessary)
    the script given in the wiki kills all "TemporalDegrain(degrain=3, ov=4, blksize=16)" and none of the options in it appear in the other one i have "TemporalDegrain(SAD1=100, SAD2=75, Sigma=4)"
    can some one explain to me how to use it?
    8.how do i deal with fast moving video (kinda like a drunk is holding the camera) ?
    for example CheckMate() causes some weird stains to appear at edges
    also how can i make it smoother? (maybe even 60 fps),
    9.What is this transparent lines at the bottom left side of the video (appears trough all the video)
    is there a way to get rid of it witout cropping it? (there are already black bards to crop)
    10.can i have an explanation on what this filters to and when to use them? (i didnt manage to understand from playing around with them)
    CheckMate() correct me if am wrong , fixes dot crawl but its pretty rare (also it caused some blurring in the fact pacing video)
    DeRainBow() after comparisons, to me it looks like it does more damage then any use , probably not using it right.
    MergeChroma(last, aWarpSharp(depth=20)) i cant see the affect it suppose to imply
    ChromaShift(c=-2) when do i use it ? , when i crop the video? if so by how much ?

sorry for the long post and thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. regarding 1.: choose your poison, gui choice is mostly a thing of taste and needed flexibility.
    regarding 2.: x264 has better hardware playback support which is probably the main reason why it's still more often used than x265 nowadays
    regarding 3.: sure,... a. encoding vfr->vfr can easily be done by simply keeping the input timecodes b. encoding cfr->vfr can also be done when avisynth is used Decomb521VFR, TDecimate and DeDup (probably other filters to) can be used to drop duplicates and create the needed timecodes.
    regarding 4.: now clue why you use 'average bitrate' at all, personally I would recommend to use cfr or 2pass encoding
    regarding 5.: read up on that interlaced and what telecined means try to understand the difference.
    regarding 6.: a. there are tons of avisynth filters to adjust colors
    b. to adjust only a portion of a video use trim() for example:
    Code:
    source=YourSourceFilter(...)
    source=source.FilterX()
    a=Trim(source,0,1999)
    b=Trim(source,2000,25000)
    c=Trim(source,25001,0)
    a = a.FilterA()
    b = b.FilterB()
    c = c. FilterC()
    source = a+b+c
    source = source.FilterD()
    will first loads the video, then applies FilterX, then splits the source into three parts, applies to each part a different Filter(A-C), then joins the parts again and applies FilterD.
    c. no clue if your examples are any good, since without knowing the source how could one offer an option ? And also whether filtering is considered good without a way to know what you were aiming for,.. (personally I would use totally different MT Mode settings and other filters; I wouldn't use other filters for color correction, deringing and sharpening and Dup wouldn't be used at all)
    regarding 7.: you might want to read up on what "TemporalDegrain" is meant to do! It's main purpose is to throw away small details,.... Whether you want to use a specific filter for a specific source is always you choice and preference. Sorry, but explaining how use "TemporalDegrain" 'properly' would require too much time. Basically one would first have to explain what filters are used in it in which way and what the options in "TemporalDegrain" for those filters do and then look at the script again and think about the interaction of the filters and their settings.
    regarding 8.: CheckMate is a spatial and temporal dot crawl reducer, no clue what that filter has to do to with trying to make a video running smoother,.... SalFPS3 and Interframe would be filters more suited for that.
    regarding 9.: looks like an artifact line from the digitization which then got worsened by the Gibbs phenomenon. In general Characterizing Perceptual Artifacts in Compressed
    Video Streams
    , Compression artifact, Improving Visual Quality and Compressibility for Internet Encoding might be interesting for starting, to really understand a lot of these artifacts where they come from and how to best handle them some of the theory of digital image processing needs to be understood.
    About your line personally I would crop it, instead of trying to fix those chroma color bands with some chroma filtering an just a few lines,...
    regarding 10: you need to read the filter descriptions and not blindly try to figure them out by playing around with them. Also don't add filters you don't need, adding and unneeded filter can cause a lot of harm! Each filter has side effects and an artifact removal filter will not only remove the desired artifacts but also influence lot of other parts of the video. -> first understand what video/image artifacts there are. Then read up what solutions/filters there are to handle those artifacts, then only add the filters that are suited for you source.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    regarding 1.: choose your poison, gui choice is mostly a thing of taste and needed flexibility.
    regarding 2.: x264 has better hardware playback support which is probably the main reason why it's still more often used than x265 nowadays
    regarding 3.: sure,... a. encoding vfr->vfr can easily be done by simply keeping the input timecodes b. encoding cfr->vfr can also be done when avisynth is used Decomb521VFR, TDecimate and DeDup (probably other filters to) can be used to drop duplicates and create the needed timecodes.
    regarding 4.: now clue why you use 'average bitrate' at all, personally I would recommend to use cfr or 2pass encoding
    regarding 5.: read up on that interlaced and what telecined means try to understand the difference.
    regarding 6.: a. there are tons of avisynth filters to adjust colors
    b. to adjust only a portion of a video use trim() for example:
    Code:
    source=YourSourceFilter(...)
    source=source.FilterX()
    a=Trim(source,0,1999)
    b=Trim(source,2000,25000)
    c=Trim(source,25001,0)
    a = a.FilterA()
    b = b.FilterB()
    c = c. FilterC()
    source = a+b+c
    source = source.FilterD()
    will first loads the video, then applies FilterX, then splits the source into three parts, applies to each part a different Filter(A-C), then joins the parts again and applies FilterD.
    c. no clue if your examples are any good, since without knowing the source how could one offer an option ? And also whether filtering is considered good without a way to know what you were aiming for,.. (personally I would use totally different MT Mode settings and other filters; I wouldn't use other filters for color correction, deringing and sharpening and Dup wouldn't be used at all)
    regarding 7.: you might want to read up on what "TemporalDegrain" is meant to do! It's main purpose is to throw away small details,.... Whether you want to use a specific filter for a specific source is always you choice and preference. Sorry, but explaining how use "TemporalDegrain" 'properly' would require too much time. Basically one would first have to explain what filters are used in it in which way and what the options in "TemporalDegrain" for those filters do and then look at the script again and think about the interaction of the filters and their settings.
    regarding 8.: CheckMate is a spatial and temporal dot crawl reducer, no clue what that filter has to do to with trying to make a video running smoother,.... SalFPS3 and Interframe would be filters more suited for that.
    regarding 9.: looks like an artifact line from the digitization which then got worsened by the Gibbs phenomenon. In general Characterizing Perceptual Artifacts in Compressed
    Video Streams
    , Compression artifact, Improving Visual Quality and Compressibility for Internet Encoding might be interesting for starting, to really understand a lot of these artifacts where they come from and how to best handle them some of the theory of digital image processing needs to be understood.
    About your line personally I would crop it, instead of trying to fix those chroma color bands with some chroma filtering an just a few lines,...
    regarding 10: you need to read the filter descriptions and not blindly try to figure them out by playing around with them. Also don't add filters you don't need, adding and unneeded filter can cause a lot of harm! Each filter has side effects and an artifact removal filter will not only remove the desired artifacts but also influence lot of other parts of the video. -> first understand what video/image artifacts there are. Then read up what solutions/filters there are to handle those artifacts, then only add the filters that are suited for you source.
    Thank you for your comment.
    2.by "better hardware playback" you mean "works on a bigger verities of programs"? so essentially if its going to be played only on my computer should i use is considering its generally better?
    4.how do i use "cfr or 2pass encoding" ? (how i do it, is by inserting the avs file and the ac3 file at the bottom them click auto encode, then choose the bitrate and click "Queue".
    i just did it bacause it was the simplest way to me.
    is there a video tutorial i can learn from? (or a short explanation like "click that" "make sure that that is on" etc)
    6. any that your would recommend and that are easy to use and understand?
    c.i added source VOB sample for the video i made and the other one (the one i called "fast pacing")
    d. do i need to shift the color left or right if a crop?
    for example if i just choose to crop the black bars at the side and ignore the "transparent lines"

I've added two samples could you show me what script you would use ? (also if i would want to apply the 60fps how the other filters should be arranged?)

thanks for the help buddy

First Source (already uploaded it one time)
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: vob 2.VOB (115.68 MB, 239 views)
    Last edited by zanzar; 27th Aug 2016 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Perhaps I am missing something, but why do you want to encode the movies if your goal is simply to store them on your HD? I took all my DVDs, years ago, and simply copied them to hard drives. It didn't take any longer than copying the DVDs. Since my DVD drive can read at 10x or faster, each DVD took only a few minutes to copy. No loss in quality.

Nothing could be simpler.

Yes, you might get a minor reduction in file size, but with storage so cheap, I don't see much upside to make a file that is, perhaps, 1/2 the size of the original DVD files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. He is supposedly remastering it , kind of, and making HD, perhaps passing it further. It is anime, a bit different rules there . Not sure if size reduction was even mentioned, his target 4-5 Mbits could be more than his DVD has.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Seems like a lot of work for virtually no gain. Just watch the show and get on to something else! I can't imagine the improvement will be all that earth shattering.

P.S. I'd sure get a second opinion before doing this on dozens of discs. Perhaps have a friend or family member look at the original and then at the "improved" version and see if they say "wow!!" or if they instead say, "which one is supposed to be better??"
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 27th Aug 2016 at 22:50. Reason: added P.S.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Seems like a lot of work for virtually no gain. Just watch the show and get on to something else! I can't imagine the improvement will be all that earth shattering.

P.S. I'd sure get a second opinion before doing this on dozens of discs. Perhaps have a friend or family member look at the original and then at the "improved" version and see if they say "wow!!" or if they instead say, "which one is supposed to be better??"
    Well for the most part i already have a good rip for almost all dvds its just a few that i dont.
    I am not lookibg into doing frame by frame edit just some simple filtering and save it on an mp4 ir mkv file
    Can you explain what is the currect use of megui ? You understood how i use it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use MeGUI all the time. There are many guides which describe how to use it. What exactly do you want to know that isn't covered in the guides? The "one click encoding" is certainly a quick way to make MP4 files from DVDs, and I have done this many times. However, I did not do it simply to save the DVDs to a hard drive (I already explained what I do), but instead I did it when I wanted to have the movie play on my smartphone.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I use MeGUI all the time. There are many guides which describe how to use it. What exactly do you want to know that isn't covered in the guides? The "one click encoding" is certainly a quick way to make MP4 files from DVDs, and I have done this many times. However, I did not do it simply to save the DVDs to a hard drive (I already explained what I do), but instead I did it when I wanted to have the movie play on my smartphone.
    well its just that in my opition adding some warpsharp,sharp() and Change the color YUV gives the video a lot
    that is the standard procedure when encoding anime in MEgui?
    you know like those anime fun subing/encoding groups

also what is the standard filters that are essential when encoding DVDs? like Dup() etc...

edit:what i want to do is just make a script that will be "standard" that ill launch into it the dvds and encode them
    since i am now familiar with encoding i dont know what i might be missing.
    of course the script will variant a bit from dvd to dvd.
    also are there any special meGUI setting for anime?
    Last edited by zanzar; 28th Aug 2016 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Filtering depends on content, you cannot have one that fits all DVD's.

In my opinion, not worthy, as johnmeyer already mentioned, it is not unique content, so just keep original mpeg2 ( VOB2mpeg ) or encode it to square pixel with lower resolution 16:9 (if DVD is 16:9).

If encoding, just select preset slow, use CRF like 17 and you are done. If you get banding (moving spots in gradients or uniform color),n you do not remove noise. Removing noise might backfire like this, but I did not download your original, having no idea what your content actually is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Filtering depends on content, you cannot have one that fits all DVD's.

In my opinion, not worthy, as johnmeyer already mentioned, it is not unique content, so just keep original mpeg2 ( VOB2mpeg ) or encode it to square pixel with lower resolution 16:9 (if DVD is 16:9).

If encoding, just select preset slow, use CRF like 17 and you are done. If you get banding (moving spots in gradients or uniform color),n you do not remove noise. Removing noise might backfire like this, but I did not download your original, having no idea what your content actually is.
    so at least what is the right filter to interlace the video without any problems ...

SetMtMode(5,4)
    Mpeg2Source("D:\VIDEO_TS.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx") # deringing
    TFM(d2v="D:\VIDEO_TS.d2v", cthresh=5, pp=0) # field match
    TDecimate(mode=1) # decimate back to 23.976 fps, animation mode
    jabo gave me this one, what will change in i change the values in "cthresh=5, pp=0"
    i wont mess with too much filtering just interlace the video into mkv file and save it , it will save me space on my HDD
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by zanzar View Post
    what will change in i change the values in "cthresh=5, pp=0"
    Your particular sample IVTC'd easily and a simple:

TFM().TDecimate(Mode=1)

did the job. With different sources you might need different settings. What jagabo gave you was tuned for the particular source you showed him before.

As _Al_ said, "Filtering depends on content, you cannot have one that fits all DVD's." You study your source and then determine what has to be done.
    Quote Quote  
  13. if you are lost in settings and overall setup, how to use Avisynth script etc., use ZIP included below. Just drop any of yours VOB files of particular title onto BAT file of your choice in windows explorer,like title 4 for example, VTS_04_1.VOB or VTS_04_2.VOB (just one of those VOBs of particular title) but not VTS_01_0.VOB (that's menu). Video title would start to play, cancel player window. It is set up like that if more audio tracks is present and you'd need to choose one particular audio. Then give it a name (only simple characters, letters, numbers, nothing else). The whole process is automatized. You'd get MP4. Make sure you have installed avisynth.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by _Al_; 28th Aug 2016 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    if you are lost in settings and overall setup, how to use Avisynth script etc., use ZIP included below. Just drop any of yours VOB files of particular title onto BAT file of your choice in windows explorer,like title 4 for example, VTS_04_1.VOB or VTS_04_2.VOB (just one of those VOBs of particular title) but not VTS_01_0.VOB (that's menu). Video title would start to play, cancel player window. It is set up like that if more audio tracks is present and you'd need to choose one particular audio. Then give it a name (only simple characters, letters, numbers, nothing else). The whole process is automatized. You'd get MP4. Make sure you have installed avisynth.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by zanzar View Post
    what will change in i change the values in "cthresh=5, pp=0"
    Your particular sample IVTC'd easily and a simple:

TFM().TDecimate(Mode=1)

did the job. With different sources you might need different settings. What jagabo gave you was tuned for the particular source you showed him before.

As _Al_ said, "Filtering depends on content, you cannot have one that fits all DVD's." You study your source and then determine what has to be done.

i understand the every source need a different setting.
    i am just asking what would be the simplest one

essentially if most DVDs look like the first source with now probelms would this script be alright?

SetMtMode(5,4)
    Mpeg2Source("D:\VIDEO_TS.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx") # deringing
    TFM().TDecimate(Mode=1)
    ColorYUV(cont_y=0, cont_u=0, cont_v=0)
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709")
    TemporalDegrain(SAD1=100, SAD2=75, Sigma=4)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="spline36resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=8)
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.5)
    with me adjusting the other stuff like color and sharpness to my liking?

also should i encode with x265 ? only be watching of a computer.
    also i use the "Auto Encode" option in megui and i select "average bit rate" or "target size" ? while i combine it with the ac3 file i've got from DGIndex.
    is this considered ok encoding ? or this process is wrong?
    Quote Quote