VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After trying to convert MP4 video footage to vob to enable me to play it on my stand alone dvd player, the size of the film (only 9 mins long) dropped from 1.3gb to less than .04 gb, 75 % reduction in size, and the quality was very, very poor.The video was shot using my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced drone in 1080p, so quality was very good,
    If I burn it in MP4, and then watch it via my computer, the quality is spot on, any help please for a very frustrated old fart.To render the video footage I used Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
    Last edited by garryprince; 25th Aug 2016 at 06:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-video is only 720x480/576 pixels....far from 1920x1080 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also there is limits to the bitrate that can be used on a DVD limits to the bitrate that can be used on a DVD

But still this should be around 0.6 GB for a 9 min clip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take on board what you are saying, but I am still baffled, how come vob on normal purchased DVD is so clear, and yet when I make one is is not
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by garryprince View Post
    I take on board what you are saying, but I am still baffled, how come vob on normal purchased DVD is so clear, and yet when I make one is is not
    Because you know what your original looks like. If you could see the original material they were starting with you would be horrified by how bad it looks once converted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Without seeing samples of the video, or least still images, nobody can tell if what you're seeing is normal or the result of an error.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a blue Ray player, or a media player box connected to your TV
    Put the original file on a USB memory stick and plug that into the USB port of the player

DVD resolution is 1/4 that of your HD source , no way to maintain source quality when transferring aka trans Coding to DVD format
    Maybe what you did could have been done better, with changes in settings used, but no way to make it look like the source does
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by garryprince View Post
    After trying to convert MP4 video footage to vob to enable me to play it on my stand alone dvd player, the size of the film (only 9 mins long) dropped from 1.3gb to less than .04 gb, 75 % reduction in size, and the quality was very, very poor.The video was shot using my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced drone in 1080p, so quality was very good,
    If I burn it in MP4, and then watch it via my computer, the quality is spot on, any help please for a very frustrated old fart.To render the video footage I used Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
    As others have said, you need to post a few seconds of the original and a few seconds of the same video after you have converted to VOB. While you lose a LOT of resolution when going from HD to SD DVD, the result can still look fairly reasonable, but only if you do everything right. Typical user errors that lead to bad results include using too low a bitrate for the VOB (you want to use something like 8,000,000 bits per second); using the wrong field order (some encoders will actually reverse the field order which will make a mess of things); using a lousy MPEG-2 encoder (they are not created equal); using the wrong MPEG-2 encoder settings (some encoders have a "fast" setting, and this should be avoided); and lots more.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I say a big thanks to you all on here for taking the the and effort to reply to my post.In all seriousness, you lot and restored my faith in humanity.I play guitar hobby only and I put tabs on a site to help others so to find people like you lot doing similar is very refreshing.
    That said, my problem seems to be I have a drone that shoots in 1080p, and no way to put that onto a normal dvd that will play on other peoples machines unless they have blue ray.
    My computer does have blue ray soi I could record in blue ray, so thats one avenue to try.
    My reasons for the need to put good quality onto normal dvd, is not for personal gain. I bought this drone to enable me to film around peoples homes, add music and burn onto a dvd in return for a small donation to my chosen charity, "Help the Heroes", which here in the UK, is a charity to help former members of the armed forces.
    I have tried the memory stick route jnto a USB port on my TV and the results are perfect, by using the MP4 format.
    Not sure of the future of my plans now, I suppose its back to the drawing board.
    I will try to shorten 2 clips of movies today and place them on here to enable you to see the difference in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have both 1080p and 4K video from several different DJI drones, including a semi-pro Inspire. I've done lots of things with the video, including making a DVD. If you have a short, untouched, original clip, if you upload it somewhere (Mediafire, Dropbox, etc.) I can download it, convert it to a DVD MPEG-2 file, and then upload it to Mediafire where you can retrieve it and compare it to whatever MPEG-2 file you've created.
    Quote Quote