VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there.

I have quite a weird problem!

Software/Hardware:
    Sony Handycam VX2100
    Movie Edit Pro 2014 Premium
    Filetype: DV-AVI

Problem:
    When I transfer the tapes everything looks fine if I view them in VLC, but when I put them into the timeline not all of them match the length.

Example:
    Tape 1 = In VLC/Windows it shows 1hr and 33 minutes long, when I put it into my editor it shows only 5 minutes?
    Tape 2 = 56 minutes in length, both in windows and editor = so this one is fine (same customer/camera/tape/NTSC)
    Tape 3 = 46 minutes in length, in editor only 30 minutes

PS: I Chose NTSC when I transfered them from the camera to the PC (NTSC selected in Movie Edit Pro)

Have any of you had this problem, or have any suggestions for me?? Transfered 1000s of MiniDVs but never had this problem before

Thanks for any help or advice in advance!!

Cheers,
    Andree
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Found 1 solution:

Import videos to Adobe Premier and export them as DV-AVI again, that seems to solve it... however, dont really understand whats causing it in the first place
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are in Norway, and using equipment sold in Europe, then I would always use PAL instead of NTSC. Unless these tapes really were recorded on NTSC equipment, or maybe accidentally put into NTSC mode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply!

The cassettes are recorded in NTSC.
    However, the cassettes are marked with PAL, but were used in a american ntsc camera.

Lets say the camera has problems reading a few segments from the tapes either because of dirt or damage to the tape, could this lead to my Issue?

For a while ago i recived a MiniDV tape that had been damaged due to a bad camera used that ate the tapes apperantly. ( thats what my customer said)

After i tried to transfer the tape ( no luck/no picture), my camera wouldent play of any tapes any more, after a little research i used a cleaning cassette to clean the camera, after 2-3 times running the tape 10 seconds at a time it started to work again.

However, in the start i noticed stripes etc, im just curious if this could lead to my problem if it has problems reading a millisecond or something.

Please excuse my english, not my native language, and thanks again for the reply!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    A bit off the topic, but if you want your MiniDV camera to live longer, learn how to clean the tape path and heads by hand. It's easier on the mechanism than a cleaning tape and more effective,too. Probably was a dirty or damaged pinch roller that ate the tape in the first place.

Your problem with these files sounds like a codec issue. VLC reads them properly but Movie Edit Pro doesn't. Can you post a MediaInfo analysis on these three files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    A bit off the topic, but if you want your MiniDV camera to live longer, learn how to clean the tape path and heads by hand. It's easier on the mechanism than a cleaning tape and more effective,too. Probably was a dirty or damaged pinch roller that ate the tape in the first place.

Your problem with these files sounds like a codec issue. VLC reads them properly but Movie Edit Pro doesn't. Can you post a MediaInfo analysis on these three files?

Thanks for your reply, JVRaines.

It seems you are correct, ive offcourse deleted the files now so I cannot post / verify, but after I re-compiled the videos everything was fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You often cannot just mix & match your equipment. You live in Norway, where the native systems are based on PAL.
    Those tapes are either truly PAL, in which case you should have had no trouble in an all PAL chain, or they are truly NTSC, in which case you should be playing them back via an NTSC camera/deck (or a switchable multisystems one, switched to NTSC), and capturing it with an NTSC-compatible card/box and saved as an NTSC file and viewed on a monitor that is swtched to NTSC-compatible refresh rates (59.94 or 60 Hz).
    Then and only then, once it is saved as a computer file, the best thing to do quality-wise would be to use AVISynth to properly resize & framerate convert to PAL resolutions and framerates (there are a number of ways depending on the content, but many are described on this site). Remember you may likely need to time stretch/shrink you audio length as well to maintain sync.
    Once you then have ALL your assets in the same format (PAL), you then should edit, using a PAL timeline/project to create your PAL master.
    In order to avoid bothersome recompression artifacts/losses in your intermediate and final master files, I recommend you save using lossless/near-lossless compression.

Scott
    Quote Quote