VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any freeware conversion programs to convert a VP9 video to H265. The media player can't handle SP9 (black screen sound OK) but will do H265 with ease.
    Thanks.

Edited called the encoder SP9 whilst thinking of something else - my bad!!!
    Last edited by netmask56; 23rd Aug 2016 at 01:43.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you mean VP9?

Then you could use XMediaRecode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oops! Yes VP9 - I'll edit the title.....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Change media player, free x265 is probably one of best software encoders you can have for free, alternatively you may consider Intel QSV with HW acceleration (your HW must be capable to do QSV) - both mentioned codecs are integrated in ffmpeg builds (Zeranoe or Sherpya) , side to this you may give a chance to commercial DiVX encoder - it may be marginally faster than x265.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My media player is the Popcorn A-500 using the Sigma 8758 chip set and it supports virtually all encoding except VP9 altho it should - does H265 really well and is a fantastic unit. As there are only the odd VP9 encodes coming my way I used XMediaRecode to re-encode to H265 overnight. Looked at the 2 files side by side with VLC and couldn't pick any significant visual difference. On playback the Popcorn uses it's VXP engine (if you wish) that subjectively improves the image anyway. I'm sure there will be many on the Popcorn forum pressing for a firmware update to include the public domain VP9 encoder.
    Last edited by netmask56; 24th Aug 2016 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
  6. https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265

Code:
    ffmpeg -i %1 -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 26 -c:a copy  -c:s? copy -f matroska %~n1_.mkv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but I don't do command line anymore - if I can't point and click I really can't be bothered - at 78 I'm too error prone in typing I'm afraid. Anyway XMediaRecode worked quite well and did it over night so no sweat. Hopefully CloudMedia will update the firmware to accommodate VP9 as the chip set does support it. Firmware updates come fairly frequently. Many thanks to all problem solved ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the problem is the variable frame rate - if constant should play. Either way no quick way to change other than what I did overnight...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Thanks but I don't do command line anymore - if I can't point and click I really can't be bothered - at 78 I'm too error prone in typing I'm afraid. Anyway
    1 Open Notepad
    2 Ctrl+C provided line
    3 Ctrl+V in Notepad
    4 Save As (in Notepad)
    5 Change extension to BAT or CMD
    6 Drag and Drop file on icon representing batch file
    Quote Quote