VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here is my project: In 2004 a DVD was made of historic video clips of rock concerts shown on TV. Just this year, a much better quality recording of one concert has turned up.

Is it possible to replace the footage of this concert in the DVD, while keeping the same pro-made menus?

I know how to edit the new footage to the exact same time length as the original footage. The old footage is in a .VOB file by itself in the existing DVD.

Or an alternative: how to re-author the DVD with the new footage in place of the old, but keep the old menus.

And help is appreciated.

Yumagah
    You are not reading this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VobBlanker or DVDRemake. For VobBlanker you may need to author a dummy DVD with the concert from this year in order to get the same number of cells as in the 2004 version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    For VobBlanker you may need to author a dummy DVD with the concert from this year in order to get the same number of cells as in the 2004 version.
    I shouldn't think so. At most he should have to extract and reauthor from the new DVD just the section to be replaced in the old one. DVDShrink can do that, or Muxman once the section is cut out and demuxed. Then, since the section to be replaced in the old DVD is its own cell (or even PGC?), the rest should be easy.

Open the DVD, highlight the section to be replaced, highlight it in the lower window, go to the Cells window, highlight the cell to be replaced, and hit the 'Replace' button. If the section to be replaced is its own PGC, the replacing can even be done in the main window.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the section to be replaced is its own PGC, the replacing can even be done in the main window.
    Yes but it for this case a dummy DVD may be needed as VobBlanker only replace the number of cells present in the old DVD and should the new have more cells the superfluous are skipped.

My guess is that each concert is in it's own PGC. But it may as well be in cell.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    If the section to be replaced is its own PGC, the replacing can even be done in the main window.
    I don't understand. VobBlanker can replace a single cell with another single cell. If they're from two different DVDs the fact they might have differing numbers of cells has nothing to do with anything. That's what I was describing - extracting from the new DVD the section he wants and reauthoring it as a single PGC and cell, later to be used to replace the old one.
    My guess is that each concert is in it's own PGC
    Based on his description, that was my thought, too.
    But it may as well be in cell.
    That doesn't matter since VobBlanker can replace individual cells.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let me try to clafiry and start by saying I remembered wrong.

Case: I have a PGC with 3 cells and want to replace it with a PGC having 5 cells. What I remembered was that only cell 1-3 to would be replaced and cell 4/5 skipped. So I had to test. What happens is that 3 cells is maintained after the replacment but cell 3 is extended to include cell 4/5.

Sorry for any confusing this may have caused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cells.png
Views:	280
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	38255
    Quote Quote  
  7. That thought crossed my mind, too - that the concert section being replaced might span more than one cell. If so, there are ways around that, too. For example, he could, as you suggest, make sure the replacement version has the same number of cells. But, based on the information provided so far (not much, admittedly), I wouldn't think that to be the case. Just have to wait and see.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here's some more info on what I want to do.

I have the new footage in DVD compliant MPEG2 format. video bitrate is 3766 bps, audio 224 bps, total time 29 min 20 sec.

The old DVD has this concert spread over two VOB files: VTS_01_1.vob is 1 gig and contains the first 27:43 of the concert. VTS_01_2.vob is 51 meg and has the last 1:21 of the concert. Total time of old footage is 29:04. I can easily edit out the first 6 sec and last 10 sec of the new mpeg to make it also 29:04.

The old DVD has a big menu & submenu system that I want to keep. The menus for this concert are in a file VTS-01_0.vob that I would like to keep, so the user can jump to the songs within the 29 minute show. The other DVD chapters go up to vob files named VTS_17 and so on. I want to leave them all unchanged.

I want to replace the MPEG2 info in the two vob files mentioned above with the new MPEG. I can split the new footage into two files of 27:43 and 1:21 easily enough. If I just split the new MPEG and rename it to VOB files, then re-burn the DVD, I don't think that will work will it? I hve never tried this before. What would be the easiest way to replace the old with the new?

One other issue: the old DVD is encoded at 4800/256 vid/audio bitrate. Do I need to resample the new MPEG to this rate first?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Most of the information you provided wasn't needed. However, the one very useful piece was that this single section is nearly half an hour long and has a number of songs, each of which has its own chapter or cell. So, videobruger was correct in his suspicions and I was wrong. In my defense, I thought it was a standard compilation DVD where it's a bunch of different songs by a bunch of different bands, each song with its own chapter/cell, and you were replacing only a single song. But yours is different.

First, it's not important that the lengths are different between the two or that the audios are different.

If I just split the new MPEG and rename it to VOB files, then re-burn the DVD, I don't think that will work will it?
    No.

Here's how I'd do it, but there are different ways, and videobruger (or others) might do it differently, and maybe even better.

I'll assume the cell numbers are the same for both DVDs - there's a chapter for each song. I'd open the IFO for the DVD section of this concert in PGCDemux. You said this part of the concert had its own VOB, which says to me it's in its own PGC and has its own IFO. So, open the IFO for this section in PGCEdit, choose to split by single cell and choose to create a PGC VOB. There's a picture below of how to set up PGCDemux. Set up folders for each of the songs and demux them one by one into folders 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Or however you want to name them. When done you'll have a bunch of VOB files, but you need DVDs. I'd then reauthor them in IFOEdit.

Open a VOB in IFOEdit, In the bottom center 'Create IFOs'. give it a destination and 'OK'. Do this for each until you have a bunch of little DVDs, one for each song.

Once you have all the little DVDs of each song/chapter/cell, open the original DVD in VobBlanker, choose the correct VTS for your concert so that it opens in the bottom screen. Highlight it in the lower screen and hit 'Cells' over on the right and in the new screen all the songs/cells are listed. Highlight a cell and hit 'Replace' and replace the old with the new for each. When all done hit 'Apply' followed by 'Close' which brings you back to the main screen. Give it an 'Output Folder' and 'Process'. When all done be sure to test the new DVD thoroughly before burning to disc.
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by manono; 22nd Aug 2016 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you, that sounds doable. And yes, the concert in question does have its own IFO file on the DVD.

I will give this a try.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I finished this project with partial success, and I think I know what to fix to get it working 100%

I took the MP4 video and authored it to a new dvd by itself. I then took the VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob and used them to replace the existing .vob files in the old version dvd. I had to edit some .IFO files to get the aspect ratios to match. And I ended up with one problem: the old concert footage was divided into chapters based on song length. When I authored the new DVD I didn't have the chapter times in front of me so I just set 5 minute chapters. The end result is some DVD players get confused about the chapter times, and some players simply jump to the next chapter after 1 or 2 minutes. I think I can fix this by re-authoring the new footage and setting chapter lengths to match the old ones.

thanks for help.
    Quote Quote