VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to follow a long-running thread here that constantly kept people updated on HDMI strippers, it ran from 2011 till 2015, but sadly, is closed now.

Keeping the thread updated was necessary since the same models when people found out could strip HDCP would constantly get updated without warning in the online stores to remove this "bug".

I have tried googling about this, but all I get are threads from years ago, utterly useless now.

That's why I wanted to ask if such a thing even still exists anymore, or if pretty much all of them have been taken down or stopped? It also doesn't help that I live in the US, so things such as the HDFury that specifically make those would likely not be importable here (Not the mention the several-hundred-dollar price for that thing when all the others were in the $20-40 range is absurd). Not to mention all those random e-bay or aliexpress pages that explicitly state they are strippers would likely not ship to the US either (or make it far).

I was originally waiting since 4k/HDCP2.2 was right around the corner originally, and now that I finally have such equipment I wanted to check. Truth be told, I am mostly getting this as a "just in case I need it" kinda thing and don't have a specific use for it other than to record gameplay footage off my PS3, since that is the only HDMI gaming console that does not allow you to turn off HDCP while playing games, so I don't necessarily NEED 4K/HDCP2.2 support, but if there are ones out there that support it over 1080p/HDCP1.4 I would prefer to get one of those...... if ANY are still available for those in the US.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
    Keeping the thread updated was necessary since the same models when people found out could strip HDCP would constantly get updated without warning in the online stores to remove this "bug".
    So the rumour goes. I still suspect user error in most cases. The ViewHD 1x2 splitter mentioned multiple times in that thread should still be fine, as long as you get the right model.

There are some relatively cheap models that claim to strip HDCP 2.2, but they don't support HDMI 2.0a at full bandwidth.

Not to mention all those random e-bay or aliexpress pages that explicitly state they are strippers would likely not ship to the US either (or make it far).
    I think your outlook is overly dim. The Chinese sellers are happy to send anywhere, and US Customs probably have bigger concerns than inspecting little packages to see whether the electronics inside can remove copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is NOTHING preventing anyone from starting another HDCP stripper thread. Long threads are a PITA to follow anyway. ...and I doubt that someone in the USA who really wanted an HDFury Integral now would be unable to get one.

HDMI 2.0 UHD 60fps capture devices are probably limited to pro/broadcast equipment. I saw one at Blackmagic's website priced at a mere $3K for connecting to a computer via Thunderbolt Maybe there are less expensive HDMI 2.0 UHD capture devices as well, but likely none for a few hundred dollars.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Aug 2016 at 11:31. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Someone posted a link to a 4k/HDCP2.2 splitter that removed HDCP here a while ago. I think it was selling at monoprice -- which surprised me. I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood has put a stop to that already. But when the ViewHD splitter sells for US$20, and you don't have a current need for 4k/HDCP2.2, why bother.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    So the rumour goes. I still suspect user error in most cases. The ViewHD 1x2 splitter mentioned multiple times in that thread should still be fine, as long as you get the right model.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But when the ViewHD splitter sells for US$20, and you don't have a current need for 4k/HDCP2.2, why bother.
    Yeah, I saw other people saying how it still works, so I got one of those just to be safe in case I can't find a HDCP 2.2 one.

At the very least, I will be able to capture from my PS3, or other HDMI 1.3/HDCP 1.2 devices. But I would also like to get a HDCP 2.2 one if I could, better now than when they are likely to be harder to find later.

There are some relatively cheap models that claim to strip HDCP 2.2, but they don't support HDMI 2.0a at full bandwidth.
    Err, by full bandwidth, do you mean that 4K is limited to 30Hz? Or am I compeltely mis-understanding this? Did any do full handwidth?

I think your outlook is overly dim. The Chinese sellers are happy to send anywhere, and US Customs probably have bigger concerns than inspecting little packages to see whether the electronics inside can remove copy protection.
    I have had it happen before actually, while I know they would have no problems shipping to the US, I have received a letter once that my package was seized at customs because it could violate the DMCA, so the issue would be actually receiving it.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Long threads are a PITA to follow anyway. ...and I doubt that someone in the USA who really wanted an HDFury Integral now would be unable to get one.
    I thought the purpose of it was to just see the few latest posts about what new devices were discovered, since many old ones were being replaced with models that no longer stripped HDCP, not to read through the entire thread form the beginning?

HDMI 2.0 UHD 60fps capture devices are probably limited to pro/broadcast equipment. I saw one at Blackmagic's website priced at a mere $3K for connecting to a computer via Thunderbolt Maybe there are less expensive HDMI 2.0 UHD capture devices as well, but likely none for a few hundred dollars.
    The purpose is really more for future-proofing. There seems to be a LOT less talk now about HDCP strippers than there used to be 2-3 years ago. 4K tvs were in the thousands when they came out, but there are decent sub-$500 models now, capture equipment will likely go down quick eventually too.

Someone posted a link to a 4k/HDCP2.2 splitter that removed HDCP here a while ago. I think it was selling at monoprice -- which surprised me.
    Don't suppose you remember which one it was? Or if the thread is still up to see if people are commending about if it still works or not?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Long threads are a PITA to follow anyway. ...and I doubt that someone in the USA who really wanted an HDFury Integral now would be unable to get one.
    I thought the purpose of it was to just see the few latest posts about what new devices were discovered, since many old ones were being replaced with models that no longer stripped HDCP, not to read through the entire thread form the beginning?
    Posts reporting new HDCP strippers, and devices which did not strip HDCP anymore were not the only sort of post in those threads. There were many posts asking if specific devices worked for stripping HDCP, or asking what to buy, plus posts answering those questions based on earlier reports in the thread. Unless someone was monitoring the thread frequently, they'd need to read more than the tail end to find the latest discoveries.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
    Someone posted a link to a 4k/HDCP2.2 splitter that removed HDCP here a while ago. I think it was selling at monoprice -- which surprised me.
    Don't suppose you remember which one it was? Or if the thread is still up to see if people are commending about if it still works or not?
    I'm sure the thread is still up but you'll have to search for it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011414&p_id=15242
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011414&p_id=15242
    Oh, I see. Sadly then that isn't very helpful, since it only downgrades it to HDMI 1.4 instead of strips it completely..... and daisy-chaining the previous one to it would probably not only add significant input lag, but I'm pretty sure that one doesn't support 4K anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Err, by full bandwidth, do you mean that 4K is limited to 30Hz? Or am I compeltely mis-understanding this? Did any do full handwidth?
    2160p30 is supported even by HDMI 1.4. I'm referring to chroma subsampling and bit-depth limitations at 2160p60 (8-bit 4:2:0). The only one I've seen claiming full 18Gbps support is the HDFury device.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I see. Sadly then that isn't very helpful, since it only downgrades it to HDMI 1.4 instead of strips it completely..... and daisy-chaining the previous one to it would probably not only add significant input lag, but I'm pretty sure that one doesn't support 4K anyway.
    The HDFury Integral also down-converts HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4, from what I understand.

I don't know what kind of input lag there would be, but lag only becomes a problem when playing a game and it's quite possible that you won't need an HDCP stripper to record 4K game play. (I know you said you wanted an HDCP stripper for insurance, but it is still fair to point out that you may not need to use it for capturing 4K games.) From what I have read about them, two current game consoles already either automatically turn off HDCP when someone is playing a game (XBox One) or allow the user to turn it off manually (PS4).

Recording 4K protected content from a game console would be a different story, but forum rules prohibit discussions about capturing Netflix, Amazon and similar paid video services. That only leaves UHD Blu-ray and 4K TV via apps. Lag should not be an issue there.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Aug 2016 at 22:33. Reason: clarity, remove typo
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    One of the devices that came up in those earlier threads was the Grex. Is that one still on the market -- perhaps in a later gen. that reaches UHD specs ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2160p30 is supported even by HDMI 1.4. I'm referring to chroma subsampling and bit-depth limitations at 2160p60 (8-bit 4:2:0).
    I know, I meant that you need HDCP for 4K at 60HZ, right? Otherwise you are limited to 30hz?

Also, the reviews for that splitter on Amazon mention that it doesn't really support 4K or HDCP 1.4 well, it's pretty much just for 1080p at HDCP 1.3:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/

Well, that solves my PS3 issue, but that also makes the 2.2 to 1.4 kinda useless if the splitter only goes up to 1.3.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I'm confused as regards the HD Fury Integral. News items online said they were sued by WB (and shut down -- at least for sale in this country) ? If so, how would you account for this, which looks to be current:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Fury-4k-Integral-6934917036354/dp/B016ZY2FZ2

Looks like you can place a domestic order, not just order it from the Netherlands. (Of course, if you ordered one here, from a U.S. Co., would you really want to leave a paper or clear digital trail on the purchase . . . considering how this might attract attention from certain overzealous quarters ?)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    2160p30 is supported even by HDMI 1.4. I'm referring to chroma subsampling and bit-depth limitations at 2160p60 (8-bit 4:2:0).
    I know, I meant that you need HDCP for 4K at 60HZ, right? Otherwise you are limited to 30hz?
    HDCP is not required for any HDMI resolution. For example, you can output 2160p60 from a computer showing a desktop or playing a video game with no encryption. But every HDMI device placed into the chain must support that resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDCP is not required for any HDMI resolution. For example, you can output 2160p60 from a computer showing a desktop or playing a video game with no encryption. But every HDMI device placed into the chain must support that resolution.
    If I'm understanding your posts correctly...

The purpose of devices like the the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4 and HDFury Integral is to allow older 4K TVs without HDCP 2.2 support (mostly with HDMI 1.4 connections) to display video from UHD video sources which require HDCP 2.2, such as a UHD Blu-ray player.

However even with one of the above HDMI converters, since HDMI 1.4 only supports up to 10.2Gbps, these older TVs still wouldn't be able to display video from a computer or game console at 2160p60 with 8-bit 4:2:0 color, because that requires a connection supporting nearly 18Gbps, HDMI 2.0a.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2016 at 18:24. Reason: Correction. I meant to type "TVs without HDCP 2.2"|, not "TVs without HDMI 2.2"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    However even with one of the above HDMI converters, since HDMI 1.4 only supports up to 10.2Gbps, these older TVs still wouldn't be able to display video from a computer or game console at 2160p60 with 8-bit 4:2:0 color, because that requires a connection supporting nearly 18Gbps, HDMI 2.0a.
    2160p60 @ 8-bit 4:2:0 fits within 10.2Gbps, but it still wouldn't work because HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 4:2:0. For 2160p60 at any quality, HDMI 2.0 needs to be maintained throughout while removing the HDCP.

I was under the impression that the splitters I mentioned, which I saw on some Chinese sites months back, took in HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 10.2Gbps and spat out decrypted HDMI 2.0 10.2Gbps. My concern there was only with future-proofing and presumed lack of HDR metadata handling. But perhaps they were also merely HDCP "downconverters".
    Last edited by Brad; 23rd Aug 2016 at 16:02.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2160p60 @ 8-bit 4:2:0 fits within 10.2Gbps, but it still wouldn't work because HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 4:2:0. For 2160p60 at any quality, HDMI 2.0 needs to be maintained throughout while removing the HDCP.

I was under the impression that the splitters I mentioned, which I saw on some Chinese sites months back, took in HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 10.2Gbps and spat out decrypted HDMI 2.0 10.2Gbps. My concern there was only with future-proofing and presumed lack of HDR metadata handling. But perhaps they were also merely HDCP "downconverters".
    OK. I should have read the article at the link you posted. It explained which color spaces were supported by HDMI 1.4.

Apparently there was at least one cheap HDMI 2.0 splitter that reportedly stripped HDCP http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39508 Amazon no longer sells it.

There are some look-alike splitters that ship from China. This is one: https://www.amazon.com/Revesun-Splitter-1080p-Ultra-Definition/dp/B014EZ7266/
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ARGH! Sorry, I meant to say HDMI, not HDCP. That you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K at 60hz.

EXACTLY! And this is the issue. If I were to get a HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter that both inputs and outputs HDMI 2.0, it will still be encrypted with HDMI 1.4 and thus future capture devices would not work. Sure, I could plug it into a HDMI 1.4 stripper (or are those limited to HDMI 1.3 and older?), but pretty much all of those only support up to HDMI 1.4, and all of it's limits. So in the end, it would be no different than if I just set whatever console or device I was recording from to 1080p mode and connected it directly to the 1.4 stripper, since it would likely only require HDCP 2.2 for 4k.

I need a way to output a HDMI 2.0 signal with no HDCP. I am actually surprised Sony released a firmware update for the PS4 to toggle HDCP off when playing games, considering that they refused to for the PS3 and that the PS4 has their own game-record feature that they would likely want to "encourage" you to use over your own methods. I have no idea if the upcoming 4K-based PS4 Neo would allow you to turn off HDCP, for 4K gameplay or not. And the next generation fo consoles are definitely going to boast 4K support, who knows if they will allow HDCP to be turned off for gameplay either.

But I want to be prepared in case they don't. There used to be hundreds of HDMI strippers a few years ago, now there is that one popular one on Amazon and a few random ones here and there. I am worried by the time 4K consoles and recording devices are out/affordable, finding a HDCP 2.2 stripper would be all but impossible, which is why I want to try to get one now just to be safe.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a way to output a HDMI 2.0 signal with no HDCP. I am actually surprised Sony released a firmware update for the PS4 to toggle HDCP off when playing games, considering that they refused to for the PS3 and that the PS4 has their own game-record feature that they would likely want to "encourage" you to use over your own methods. I have no idea if the upcoming 4K-based PS4 Neo would allow you to turn off HDCP, for 4K gameplay or not. And the next generation fo consoles are definitely going to boast 4K support, who knows if they will allow HDCP to be turned off for gameplay either.
    When the PS3 came out, consumer HDMI capture devices were non-existant. Today, video game capture has become a popular activity and the companies that publish the games don't seem to mind it. As long as that is true, Sony would be foolish to prevent its customers from capturing video games.

But I want to be prepared in case they don't. There used to be hundreds of HDMI strippers a few years ago, now there is that one popular one on Amazon and a few random ones here and there. I am worried by the time 4K consoles and recording devices are out/affordable, finding a HDCP 2.2 stripper would be all but impossible, which is why I want to try to get one now just to be safe.
    You are exaggerating. There were never more than a handful of cheap 1080p HDMI splitters and HDMI switches that stripped HDCP. ...and for every one of those models, HDCP removal was more bad design than an intentional feature.

Devices like the Panlong model in my link which reportedly removed HDCP 2.2 from HDMI 2.0 had a 9Gbps bandwidth and only supported 24fps at UHD resolution. Even if they were still available, you couldn't use them to capture video games at 60fps.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When the PS3 came out, consumer HDMI capture devices were non-existant. Today, video game capture has become a popular activity and the companies that publish the games don't seem to mind it. As long as that is true, Sony would be foolish to prevent its customers from capturing video games.
    Again, it's more of a just to be safe thing, corporations HAVE pulled many dumb moves like that in the past.

Also, Nintendo definitely seems to mind... a LOT. Honestly, I believe the only reason the WiiU doesn't have HDCP is the same reason it doesn't have DVD/Blu-Ray playback, cheaper and less licensing fees that way. No guarantee the NX will be the same, I mean, in an era where everyone is removing region locks, Nintendo is ADDING them.

Devices like the Panlong model in my link which reportedly removed HDCP 2.2 from HDMI 2.0 had a 9Gbps bandwidth and only supported 24fps at UHD resolution. Even if they were still available, you couldn't use them to capture video games at 60fps.

Wait, what? Then what was the point if they supported HDMI 2.0 but still at the limits of HDMI 1.4?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't know if this helps, but I know that the HDFury Integral downconverts the HDCP from 2.2 to 1.4 and velocap 4k capture cards on ebay decode hdcp 1.4. You could definitely use the combination to capture 4k30. I am wondering if it will capture 4k60 as well. The HDFury site seems to suggest yes, as the whole purpose of their devices is to make 4k60 appear on older "uncompatible" 1.4 devices by making the picture display over a 10.2 gbps 300mhz connection. (To do this, their devices change the chroma subsampling, etc.)

If you want a standalone 4k encoder by any chance, it appears shineco makes one. But it might be smoke and mirrors, I'm not sure. If they make one, it would almost certainly decode hdcp 1.4 as well, so would be compatible with the HD Fury boxes.

Those are the only reliable companies that I can find offering this stuff at the consumer level. They should ship to the US no problem.

Basically, capturing 4k30 will definitely not be a problem. 4k60 will be a question mark until someone on this forum actually orders these products and tests them out.
    Last edited by ezcapper; 25th Aug 2016 at 08:12.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wondered how long it would take VideoHelp's paid sales representative for the Chinese electronics industry to show up. Here he is again making more suggestions for capturing 4K video at 60fps that will not work. Notice that he hasn't tried them himself for 4K 60fps. The Velocap device uses HDMI 1.4a.

vaporeon800 has already established that HDMI 1.4 does not support 2160p60fps, regardless of the chroma sub-sampling. It supports a maximum of 2160p30fps. If the HDFury Integral can allow a picture from a 2160p60fps video source to display on an HDMI 1.4 device, it must frame decimate the video to 30 fps. This will not make console gamers and PC gamers happy.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Aug 2016 at 13:01. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I wondered how long it would take VideoHelp's paid sales representative for the Chinese electronics industry to show up. Here he is again making more suggestions for capturing 4K video at 60fps that will not work. Notice that he hasn't tried them himself for 4K 60fps. The Velocap device uses HDMI 1.4a.

vaporeon800 has already established that HDMI 1.4 does not support 2160p60fps, regardless of the chroma sub-sampling. It supports a maximum of 2160p30fps. If the HDFury Integral can allow a picture from a 2160p60fps video source display on an HDMI 1.4 device, it must frame decimate the video to 30 fps. This will not make console gamers and PC gamers happy.
    You might be right that the velocap can only do 4k30, I have no idea. But it can definitely do that. On the other hand, HDMI 1.4 is capable of displaying 4k60. For example this TV can display 4k60 and it has HDMI 1.4a: http://icecat.us/us/p/samsung/ue40hu6900/led-tvs-8806086148771-UE40HU6900-22631012.html

This is done by fitting the signal within the bandwidth limit of HDMI 1.4a as explained in this article (changing the chroma subsampling, maybe other things are involved as well I don't know):
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/nvidia-kepler-cards-get-hdmi-4k60hz-support-kind-of
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post

vaporeon800 has already established that HDMI 1.4 does not support 2160p60fps, regardless of the chroma sub-sampling. It supports a maximum of 2160p30fps. If the HDFury Integral can allow a picture from a 2160p60fps video source display on an HDMI 1.4 device, it must frame decimate the video to 30 fps. This will not make console gamers and PC gamers happy.
    You might be right that the velocap can only do 4k30, I have no idea. But it can definitely do that. On the other hand, HDMI 1.4 is capable of displaying 4k60. For example this TV can display 4k60 and it has HDMI 1.4a: http://icecat.us/us/p/samsung/ue40hu6900/led-tvs-8806086148771-UE40HU6900-22631012.html

This is done by fitting the signal within the bandwidth limit of HDMI 1.4a as explained in this article (changing the chroma subsampling, maybe other things are involved as well I don't know):
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/nvidia-kepler-cards-get-hdmi-4k60hz-support-kind-of
    According to what vaporeon800 posted and this, HDMI 1.4a doesn't officially support 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, only 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. The video cards and TV in your post are not in compliance with the spec if they allow 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Even if an HDMI 1.4a capture device accepted 2160p60fps input with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, the color information captured and sharpness of the captures would be reduced compared to what an HDMI 2.0a capture device could provide. I doubt that many gamers looking to record at 2160p60 fps would find it acceptable.

Velocap's provided information indicate it supports 4K resolution at 30fps maximum. If it could record 2160p resolution at 60fps, they would not keep it to themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Retailer listings say that TV uses HDMI 2.0: https://www.richersounds.com/printproduct/SAMS-UE40HU6900
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

According to what vaporeon800 posted and this, HDMI 1.4a doesn't officially support 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, only 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. The video cards and TV in your post are not in compliance with the spec if they allow 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Even if an HDMI 1.4a capture device accepted 2160p60fps input with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, the color information captured and sharpness of the captures would be reduced compared to what an HDMI 2.0a capture device could provide. I doubt that many gamers looking to record at 2160p60 fps would find it acceptable.

Velocap's provided information indicate it supports 4K resolution at 30fps maximum. If it could record 2160p resolution at 60fps, they would not keep it to themselves.
    The whole point is that hdmi 1.4a doesn't officially support it. That's why downgrading the colorspace is needed. You might be right about the velocap, though, I don't know. People that own the Samsung tv have tested 4k60 4:2:0 on it and it works. The technology does work. NVidia does it with their Keplar cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html .

The velocap maybe (probably?) doesn't do 4k60, but how are they supposed to market it if it does? They can't say this will do 4k60 if you add a $250 add-on product made by a different company. That would bring down sales because it would bring light to the fact that it cannot handle absolutely anything out of the box. Just like EZCap 280, a low quality chinese capture card I have, says that it cannot decode hdcp 1.3, but with a cheap $30 splitter it can. The companies are not going to market possibilities of a device that require another device to process the signal first. Nobody is going to advertise aggressively that their capture card can capture an encrypted 4k60 signal yet, but we definitely know that it has been done.

This is completely off topic but I got a kick out of this: HDFury brings HD to an old CRT. I bet that wasn't in the specs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o_FCjYaJIw
    Last edited by ezcapper; 25th Aug 2016 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The whole point is that hdmi 1.4a doesn't officially support it. That's why downgrading the colorspace is needed. You might be right about the velocap, though, I don't know. People that own the Samsung tv have tested 4k60 4:2:0 on it and it works. The technology does work. NVidia does it with their Keplar cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html .
    ...and the TV is HDMI 2.0.

The velocap maybe (probably?) doesn't do 4k60, but how are they supposed to market it if it does? They can't say this will do 4k60 if you add a $250 add-on product made by a different company. That would bring down sales because it would bring light to the fact that it cannot handle absolutely anything out of the box. Just like EZCap 280, a low quality chinese capture card I have, says that it cannot decode hdcp 1.3, but with a cheap $30 splitter it can. The companies are not going to market possibilities of a device that require another device to process the signal first. Nobody is going to advertise aggressively that their capture card can capture an encrypted 4k60 signal yet, but we definitely know that it has been done.
    Really twisted logic. It wouldn't be Velocap's responsibility to tell people how to get 4:2:0 2160p60. All Velocap needs to do is specify that is what its capture devices need to record at 2160p60. ...and if HDMI 1.4a ports on Keplar cards can be configured to provide 2160p60 4:2:0 output, no HDFury is needed for recording the output from those cards. HDCP will be limited to 1.4 if there is any. You claim Velocap's devices can strip that on their own.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Aug 2016 at 22:43. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Retailer listings say that TV uses HDMI 2.0: https://www.richersounds.com/printproduct/SAMS-UE40HU6900
    Thanks. I should have known ezcapper was providing inaccurate information.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Sorry last post. I got an email from Velocap claiming their product will accept an 4k60 input through the hd fury integral. They also confirmed their product strips HDCP, as I have seen their products do so in the past I believe that. Feel free to be skeptical, but some people might find the information useful.
    Quote Quote