VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BT HH3 router (fibre broadband) which sits sits next to a Seagate Network drive, the network drive is connected to the router using a Cat5c ethernet link.
    Also from the HH3 router I have a CAT6 Ethernet cable running under the floor into another room where my BD Player and Sony TV is located. I currently stream video files (MP4 & MKV) from the Network Drive to the BD Player and view them on the TV.

It works quite well but on higher quality video files, such as BD rips with a 5.1 audio track, sometimes the playback freezes or the audio drops out. Im assuming its down to the transfer of data not being good/fast enough, could this be the issue as low quality files play perfectly.

If the distance and length of data cable is the issue, is there anymore I can do to improve things, I have Powerline connections available, but the same issue exists when using those instead of the Cat6 link cable.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray players can be picky about the files they play. Did you try playing any of the problem files from a USB flash drive to make sure the file itself is not the source of the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a damaged cable, that shouldn't be a problem. Most likely, as noted above, the files don't meet the requirements of the player.

Box markings like "mkv" support does NOT mean it will play all mkv files. The User Manual or possibly the website should list basic specs for each file type. If not, it's a matter of trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't.

You can open working and non-working files using a tool such as MediaInfo, and then compare the specs of the audio and video streams. For video, common things to watch are codec used, resolution, and bitrate. For audio, watch the audio type/codec and bitrate.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies Both files play without issue on a memory stick or DVD Media, below is a screen grab of the properties of the two examples, the first is a 3.4GB file of a 5.1 DTS movie which can drop out or freeze, and the second a 350MB Sitcom download, which runs fine. Apologies for the size of the images, Im afraid im a bit nieve when it comes to bitrates and video streaming etc etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2a.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	38249Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	38248
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bit rate is not excessive, but 23 fps is not common
    But if both files play with No problems from from USB memory stick
    Maybe it is a delivery problem, what else is on that drive
    What other PCs have access to that drive, what else is going on while you are streaming the video to the TV
    Quote Quote