VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Looking at getting another DVD (or a DVD/BR) writer that is particularly good at reading partly damaged or corrupted DVD's.

Prefer internal SATA half height model, as it is understood (from online searches) that slim model writers tend to have issues with themselves and/or with reading/writing DVDs.

Here is a list of currently available DVD and DVD/BR SATA internal writers in my area.

Of these writers, which is known to be good/excellent at reading difficult to read DVD's (which may be damaged, scratched, have failing media etc)?

Lite-On iHAS124

LG GH24NSC0

LG GH24NSD1

LG GH24NS95

LG GH24NS90

Asus DRW-24D3ST

Lite-On iHAS324

Asus DRW-24B3ST

Asus BC-12D2HT

Lite-On iHES212

Lite-On iHBS312

LG BH16NS55

Asus BW-16D1HT Pro

Asus BW-12B1ST

LG BH14NS40

And recommendation for other good/excellent writers not listed above would be appreciated also if need be. The other writer(s) could be imported if necessary.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite frankly, the last 4 DVD drives I purchased were all poor, in spite of excellent reviews.
    So you're on your own.

But then, I'm sure you'll get a few posts that says model XXXXX is super great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brispuss View Post
    Looking at getting another DVD (or a DVD/BR) writer that is particularly good at reading partly damaged or corrupted DVD's.
    Ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Looking at getting another DVD (or a DVD/BR) writer that is particularly good at reading partly damaged or corrupted DVD's.
    Ridiculous.
    Many thanks for the non-constructive comment!
    Quote Quote  
  5. As long as they have support for reading your disks at slow speeds.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, thanks for that.

I also understood that suitable writers should be capable of reading slowly. But this slow reading capability is dependent on the hardware, drive chip, and firmware being used within the writer. And as there are variations in hardware/firmware/chips being used in different makes and models of writers, it seems some writers are better at reading (slower) than others. But which writers are they?

Some tests have been done using a variety of writers to check their ability to read difficult to read discs (dirty, scratched etc), according to some online sources, but the tests found so far are very limited to testing just a few drives (writers and readers).

Hoping to get more information on further tests that may have been done personally, or on other published tests, so that purchasing the next writer would be the best choice for reading difficult to read discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Speed has very little to do with it - you want drives that have robust (and possibly varied, if you want to try using multiple drives) forms of Error Detection & Correction, and mis-scan re-read strategies.

This list will change based on the TYPE of error (concentrated vs. spread, irregular vs. regular, etc), so you cannot arrive at a definitive list without knowing the kind of errors you expect to encounter.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Noted, thanks!

Question now is, which writer(s) are best at detecting the errors and correcting them as far as possible?

The prospect of buying a writers at random and hoping they will work well with bad DVD's is not really appealing, as this could become a very expensive and time consuming process. So some guidance as to what would most likely be the better writers would be preferable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Ridiculous.
    Many thanks for the non-constructive comment!
    I think perhaps this is the model that was being recommended:

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try asking at the club.myce.com forums. If anyone keeps tabs on which current DVD and BD burners are better at error correction, it would be one of their members. However, don't be surprised if they can't tell you either.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Aug 2016 at 12:52. Reason: wrong url
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However, don't be surprised if they can't tell you either.
    Vindicated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Actually I have looked at club.myce and elsewhere, and specific makes and models of writers have been suggested based on user tests as being particularly suitable of reading bad DVDs. So at this time I have at least two models of writers which could be suitable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As shown in this recent thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379972-How-to-Best-Copy-Failing-DVD

Recovering data from a bad DVD is often a combo of drive and software
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks.

The Lite-On iHAS324 writer had a hard time copying the disc though, although I'm glad it finally managed to finish a copy successfully.

Nevertheless, I will probably get at least one of the elsewhere suggested DVD writers (which is not expensive, fortunately) that should be good (or better than the iHAS324) at copying bad DVD's. I'll give that writer a test to see how it gets on copying failing DVDs (I have at least one other failing/bad DVD to copy).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

The Lite-On iHAS324 writer had a hard time copying the disc though, although I'm glad it finally managed to finish a copy successfully.

Nevertheless, I will probably get at least one of the elsewhere suggested DVD writers (which is not expensive, fortunately) that should be good (or better than the iHAS324) at copying bad DVD's. I'll give that writer a test to see how it gets on copying failing DVDs (I have at least one other failing/bad DVD to copy).
    Maybe you would consider sharing the model numbers of "the elsewhere suggested DVD writers" with the rest of the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Happy to provide details of the writers AFTER testing to verify their performance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Happy to provide details of the writers AFTER testing to verify their performance.
    We'll wait

Then again, maybe some of us have experience with those writers which may be useful to you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have stumbled upon an article with the best latest DVD Writers.

https://www.technikhiwi.de/dvd-brenner-test/

The article is in German, but you can use Google Translate or DeepL to get a hang of it.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote