VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have never used my IP4K for capturing before, but since I am in the spirit of playing around with capture devices and comparing them, I thought I would upload a quick comparison.

This is a follow up to an earlier thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379847-I-O-Data-GV-USB2-NTSC-Capture-Test
    So, here are 3 different NTSC caps to compare from an old Sony Hi8 XR camcorder using S-Video out:
    1. Canopus ADVC-300 to DV-AVI 4:1:1
    2. I-O Data GV-USB2 to lossless YUY2 4:2:2 which I transcoded (losslessly) to UYVY 4:2:2
    3. Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K to lossless UYVY 4:2:2
    I had read somewhere people poo-pooing the IP4K as an NTSC capture device. TBH, I think it does a great job. And unlike the I-O Data device, you can adjust the gain. Speaking of which, the IP4K gain needs to be reduced slightly, but I just used default settings.

Enjoy!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I processed hundreds of hours through my trusty ADVC110, but I've moved on to lossless capture. There is a kind of pastel, bleeding quality to DV that my eye, trained by those hundreds of hours, no longer tolerates when converting a high-quality NTSC source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vaporeon800 has a thread about capturing VHS with the Intensity Pro 4K which he created not long after it came out. He said it only had a 2D comb filter, which made it less than ideal for capturing composite video sources, that its built-in TBC was not very effective, and that the device drivers were buggy. That being said, he was not completely dissatisfied with it for S-Video capture, although he saw interference patterns with every S-Video cable he tried. Maybe the buggy drivers have been fixed, but the other problems still remain.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370738-BMD-Intensity-Pro-4K-includes-a-professional...de-TBC-(Nope!)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Aug 2016 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did not have any driver issues with the IP4K. BMD is on version 10.7 now, so whatever issues vaporeon had back then are very likely resolved. With that said I did notice that they only support Win7 and up. So anyone running XP is out of luck. But honestly I would not recommend buying it for capturing. I highly recommend it as one of the cheapest devices for color managed workflow. To me the capture capability is just icing on the cake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your IP4K sample has similar cropping + letterboxing as my captures with the card. Thanks for providing this confirmation. Yours actually has 4+3 empty "video black" lines rather than 3+3.

No one on Blackmagic's forum confirmed or denied this error, and their Support was ultimately useless. The person who responded was under the impression that analog video, even from a DVD player, is inherently unstable. Meanwhile, someone else who works for them apparently believes that US LaserDisc players put out some exotic format rather than standard video.

I guess the combination of them being Australian (PAL) and not caring about SD analog explains why they never noticed that their card can't capture a proper 486i video.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote