VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi- Working with surveillance video, need to convert a .bin file captured by a Bosch VideoJet x10 Camera (part of a DVR4C system) currently stored in a local hard drive. Long story short, the Camera was recording (sending data to HDD) however network issues prevent connecting to the device. HDD currently has about 400+ .BIN files about 1GB each. Have had zero luck in trying to play them as video.

- Checked for CUE files, none to be found (only some LCKxxxx.txt files, some UNTxxxx.txt, and MGRxxxx.txt).
    - Created a CUE file for the BIN files, but no joy. (the txt files that correspond to each .bin file have a hex key, which makes me think could be encrypted?)
    - Downloaded as many codecs as the internet seems to have, to no avail
    - Tried VLC player, IsoBuster, WinMediaPlayer (with codecs), no success
    - Tried renaming the file, to no avail.

Am I missing anything? Bosch site states these devices record on MPEG-4 format.
    Thanks much for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS: Just tried VCDGear, and the message was "Unable to locate AVSEQ/MUSIC MPEG tracks. This is probably because its a video only, no audio recording?
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mgravina View Post
    PS: Just tried VCDGear, and the message was "Unable to locate AVSEQ/MUSIC MPEG tracks. This is probably because its a video only, no audio recording?
    No, it's because VCD uses MPEG-1 video, which has nothing to do with the .BIN files from your camera.

By the way: see what MediaInfo says about the problematic file(s).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you talked to Bosch support tech? That would be the best 1st course of action.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Have you talked to Bosch support tech? That would be the best 1st course of action.

Scott
    +!

The video format may be MP4, but it's highly likely the files are encrypted for security.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like the recorder had encryption turned on
    For total data protection, each communication channel-video, audio or serial I/O- can be independently AES encrypted with 128 bit keys
    unless you can connect to the recorder using the password key you probably won't get any usable video.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the good comments, gave me a few more things to try.

- Contacted Bosch, they promised a callback that never came. My guess is because we deal with vendors, they probably have accounts and other info to better create support tickets and such.

- Also had the appropriate group contact the Vendor who handles these things, they were not able to play it. My guess is that -they too- were trying to play it separately from the video system, which would cause it not to authenticate/decrypt/etc.

- I will see where the hard drive is and whether they installed it back to the Video system, and I will then attempt to retrieve in that manner.

I really appreciate everyone's input, especially for a first time post on this Forum. Thanks for the hospitality

PS: I'll report my findings
    Quote Quote  
  8. Usually such videos are encrypted (perhaps with time-stamping) so they can be used as evidence - this is quite common in surveillance - it is closed ecosystem with custom player capabilities and unencrypted video is usually available after exporting encrypted video to unencrypted form (probably one of player options)
    Quote Quote