VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to all,

I need help trying to figure out how to make an older Sony CCD camera work. The CCD camera has a 9-pin D-sub cable out to a RGB, a separate sync and a S video. I have a Avermedia capture card, AVerTV HD DVR model C027 that has 2 HDMI inputs. The capture card came with an adapter that has RGB component, S-video, composite but no separate sync. I could hook up the composite from another output on the CCD or the S video but I want to use RGB for clarity reasons. I have tried to hook up RB and sync to G from the CCD to the capture card but the picture is a vivid fuchsia color with not so good clarity. When I try to hook up RGB to RGB, I get no picture.

I would think I will need at least a converter from analog to digital but not sure if this set up will work. If someone could help, it would be much appreciated.

This Sony CCD is being used with a microscope for video recording if that helps any.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Last edited by preston1000; 16th Aug 2016 at 20:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The red, green, and blue connectors on your capture device aren't for VGA, they're for component video. You need a VGA to HDMI scan converter or a VGA to Component video scan converter. Beware of cheap (<$10) cables called converters, they don't convert anything.

Some examples:
    https://www.amazon.com/VGA-YPbPr-HDMI-Converter-HD-LKV353/dp/B00KU1FOL4/
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Authority-Component-Transcoder---Audio/dp/B00ASVXAFI/
    Quote Quote  
  3. What about the sync cable being separate? I noticed in one link provided there is only RGB and the other has a few more connections for input. Even on the latter, where would the separate sync cable go?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the camera doesn't have a D15 output you'll need a mechanical converter to route the RGB+sync to the D15 input on the converter box. Or find a converter box with all four BNC inputs.

By the way, your camera apparently has "composite" sync, horizontal and vertical sync on a single cable rather on separate cables. You'll need to make sure the converter supports that. Often, sync is carried on green too -- but that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

And I'm not recommending those particular devices. I have no experience with either of them. I'm just pointing out the type of device you need.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Aug 2016 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was able to make the green work as a sync by a switch within the camera. After that, the screen still has a fuchsia color.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by preston1000 View Post
    I was able to make the green work as a sync by a switch within the camera. After that, the screen still has a fuchsia color.
    Yes, because RGB is not component video. You might be able to convert the colors with an AviSynth script though. Can you post a short sample with objects of known colors? Blue sky, green trees, flesh tone faces, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The camera is hooked up to a microscope. I can find a lot of converters from 15-pin in to RGsB out but I need it to be visa versa.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You might need a cable to convert the RGB (RCA? BNC?) connectors to a VGA socket (just make sure the gender of the connectors is correct), then the VGA to composite converter. Here's another one.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108668-VGA-Inch-Component-Converter/dp/B009GUQIPG/
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Aug 2016 at 21:47.
    Quote Quote