VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So my Courage DVD has an intro that has 8 pixels of black borders to the left and right..and then a main episode that fills the frame entirely.

How would I go about fixing this? I cropped the intro's 16 pixels..but now the frame size DOES NOT MATCH the DVD episode.

Should I just retain the black bars or stretch out the frame size of the intro to the size of the episode (which had no black borders and filles 720x480)? I feel like doing the latter...but then the aspect ratio would not be correct - would it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why do you think you have to "fix" it?

Is the AR off in the first place?

If the AR is correct, then yes, stretching it would distort the AR a bit.

Most people don't care about borders, especially if they are there for a reason. Some people don't care about minor AR distortions. Some people do other things like fill in the borders with something like a mirrored edge or other edge fill techniques
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could keep the aspect ratio correct by cropping the 8 from left and right, then ~6 from top and bottom, followed by a resize to 720x480 for that intro part. But, like pdr, I'm not sure I'd bother.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you everyone. I will leave it a bit distorted. Again not sure I want to take away any actual picture data just to have correct AR. It's unrecognizable (not like they're wide as a sandwich or anything).
    Quote Quote