VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    PowerDirector 16 Ultra was just released, and unsurprisingly does not include UHD Blu-ray authoring: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/compare-upgrade_en_US.html?&r=1

[Edit] There was never "a good chance" that UHD Blu-Ray authoring would be added. As has been said many times in this thread:

1. The entertainment industry doesn't want consumer UHD Blu-Ray authoring software to become available.
    2. Even if Cyberlink were allowed to produce consumer UHD Blu-Ray authoring software, licensing costs would be very expensive, raising the price of the software beyond what the consumer market would bear. Any company that wants to sell UHD Blu-Ray authoring software legally, including Cyberlink, must pay the required licensing fees or face patent infringement lawsuits and heavy fines.
    I doubt it...they more than likely realized nobody uses optical media anymore and there is no market for this stuff. People use servers now.

With respect to 1&2, and as mentioned in this thread, why don't you email them and ask? Do you have email?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    PowerDirector 16 Ultra was just released, and unsurprisingly does not include UHD Blu-ray authoring: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/compare-upgrade_en_US.html?&r=1

[Edit] There was never "a good chance" that UHD Blu-Ray authoring would be added. As has been said many times in this thread:

1. The entertainment industry doesn't want consumer UHD Blu-Ray authoring software to become available.
    2. Even if Cyberlink were allowed to produce consumer UHD Blu-Ray authoring software, licensing costs would be very expensive, raising the price of the software beyond what the consumer market would bear. Any company that wants to sell UHD Blu-Ray authoring software legally, including Cyberlink, must pay the required licensing fees or face patent infringement lawsuits and heavy fines.
    I doubt it...they more than likely realized nobody uses optical media anymore and there is no market for this stuff. People use servers now.
    Cyberlink PowerDirector still includes Blu-ray and DVD authoring. If Cyberlink's only reason for not adding UHD authoring was "everybody is using servers", wouldn't they have simply dropped authoring entirely for lack of interest?

With respect to 1&2, and as mentioned in this thread, why don't you email them and ask? Do you have email?
    I was responding to Eugene157's post above. Maybe you have confused me with him.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Sep 2017 at 21:14.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cyberlink PowerDirector still includes Blu-ray and DVD authoring. If Cyberlink's only reason for not adding UHD authoring was "everybody is using servers", wouldn't they have simply dropped authoring entirely for lack of interest?
    Of course not...this software is already made and just continue to be sold. It costs them nothing to continue the offering.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course not...this software is already made and just continue to be sold. It costs them nothing to continue the offering.
    It may not cost as much as adding something new, but it does cost something. Every feature, even a pre-existing one, is supposed to be tested by QA to make sure it still works correctly after creating a new version of a program. Possibly there are ongoing licensing fees connected with Blu-ray, DVD, and AVCHD authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Main problem there is too little demand for it.

2. It has to be approved by the UHD BR association.

3.There is a license fee as there is for Cyberlink PDVD. Max license fee is $8. And they certainly get a discount.

So license fee is not a deal breaker since CL P DVD 17 sells for app $50 including that fee. And the industry could not care less, we are just background noise, how could shaky vacation movies or whatever else be a threat in UHD BR, if they were not in DVD, AVCHD, BR.

http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/ultra_hd_royalty_rates.html

Cyberlink and Pinnacle, each have a thread were you can request new features for their products. On both, over the last 12 month period, there was only 1 request for UHD BD. For next year so far there are 3 on CL and 2 on P*.

I have contacted the sales departments of 6 software producers and the answer has been the same, no demand. And two have even said that the majority of their users are happy with just DVD. Some require an extra cost BR plugin or you have to buy the top program version to burn just simple plain old BR.

Most editing programs that handle 4K today have HEVC, the heavy lifting is done. The missing link is the UHD BR file system, while exactly the same as BR, but with different content in those files, to instruct the player what to do.

But as I said above, that involves a license fee, costly approval process (time and fees) and engineering time. And why do that just to satisfy a few? (At this time)

Cyberlink P DVD 17 plays UHD on a PC if you meet the PC specs, never mind that for the price of that PC you can buy at least SIX !!! table top UHD BR players. Funny

Bummer!!!

Eugene
    Last edited by Eugene157; 23rd Sep 2017 at 14:09.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Cyberlink P DVD 17 plays UHD on a PC if you meet the PC specs, never mind that for the price of that PC you can buy at least SIX !!! table top UHD BR players. Funny

Bummer!!!

Eugene
    Well, if someone is in the market for a new PC anyway, and buys carefully, the additional cost will be less than $200 for a drive and software. I'm planning to do that myself in the next year.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2017 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
    3.There is a license fee as there is for Cyberlink PDVD. Max license fee is $8. And they certainly get a discount.

So license fee is not a deal breaker since CL P DVD 17 sells for app $50 including that fee. And the industry could not care less, we are just background noise, how could shaky vacation movies or whatever else be a threat in UHD BR, if they were not in DVD, AVCHD, BR.

http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/ultra_hd_royalty_rates.html
    The $8 license fee that you quoted and all the other fees in your link are related to playback. The UHD BR Association has a vested interest in democratizing the adoption of commercially produced UHD BR discs, and kept the fees low.

The fees for authoring could be considerably higher. The UHD BR Association also has a vested interest in restricting the purchase of authoring software to select industry insiders, so those insiders can continue to collect money for professional services. Only a few companies are currently doing Blu-ray authoring. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379959-UHD-BD-Authoring-Tool#post2458851
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2017 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest doing what we did with previous formats. Back in the days when DVDs where expensive, we gathered some movies in MPG files with DVD specs in our hard disks and even created the relevant VOB files using different tools available. If we wanted something approaching DVD quality on a disc to keep, we had to create a DivX CD-ROM which used MPEG 4 encoding, MP3 audio and if video bitrate was higher than 700Kbit/sec quality was acceptable. At first we could only play such discs on a computer, later some DivX compatible DVD players could also play these discs. Nowadays BD-R discs prices have dropped but remain much higher than a typical DVD-R or DVD+R disc. If we want Blu Ray quality on a disc to keep, we can make an AVCHD-DVD (DVD disc containing Blu Ray compatible data) which also plays on most Blu Ray players.

So what I mean, is that we can store some 4K video files in our hard disk and when we have access to appropriate software we can record them on regular BD-R discs or special BD-R XL discs (if our recorder supports them). I am not 100% sure, but I guess all we have to do is create AVI or MKV or MP4 files with HEVC video and AC3 or EC3 audio. To create the AVI version, I would import the source file in VirtualDub and compress the video part with x265vfw codec (HEVC fourcc code). The audio part I would compress it to AC3. If it has to be EC3, I would import it to Adobe Audition, convert to EC3 file and then use AVI Muxer to multiplex the video and audio parts to a 4K Blu Ray compatible AVI. Then I would keep the file in my hard disk until I get my hands on a 4K version of an application similar to MultiAVCHD. For the time being, since I don't have access to 4K material, I work with HD material and produce AVCHD-DVD versions using MultiAVCHD. These discs play flawlessly on my Blu Ray player, so it is as good as it gets. Besides, if the movies originate from an HD TV channel (typical video bitrate 4-5MBps) is not worth it to produce a real Blu Ray disc (15-25 MBps) as I won't notice any difference, so I produce an AVCHD-DVD version and save money on discs. I can enjoy my favorite series and movies with almost the same quality they were broadcasted. I can even resize to SD if I also want a DVD version which would be much better than starting with an SD source.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spapakons View Post
    I suggest doing what we did with previous formats. Back in the days when DVDs where expensive, we gathered some movies in MPG files with DVD specs in our hard disks and even created the relevant VOB files using different tools available. If we wanted something approaching DVD quality on a disc to keep, we had to create a DivX CD-ROM which used MPEG 4 encoding, MP3 audio and if video bitrate was higher than 700Kbit/sec quality was acceptable. At first we could only play such discs on a computer, later some DivX compatible DVD players could also play these discs. Nowadays BD-R discs prices have dropped but remain much higher than a typical DVD-R or DVD+R disc. If we want Blu Ray quality on a disc to keep, we can make an AVCHD-DVD (DVD disc containing Blu Ray compatible data) which also plays on most Blu Ray players.

So what I mean, is that we can store some 4K video files in our hard disk and when we have access to appropriate software we can record them on regular BD-R discs or special BD-R XL discs (if our recorder supports them). I am not 100% sure, but I guess all we have to do is create AVI or MKV or MP4 files with HEVC video and AC3 or EC3 audio. To create the AVI version, I would import the source file in VirtualDub and compress the video part with x265vfw codec (HEVC fourcc code). The audio part I would compress it to AC3. If it has to be EC3, I would import it to Adobe Audition, convert to EC3 file and then use AVI Muxer to multiplex the video and audio parts to a 4K Blu Ray compatible AVI. Then I would keep the file in my hard disk until I get my hands on a 4K version of an application similar to MultiAVCHD. For the time being, since I don't have access to 4K material, I work with HD material and produce AVCHD-DVD versions using MultiAVCHD. These discs play flawlessly on my Blu Ray player, so it is as good as it gets. Besides, if the movies originate from an HD TV channel (typical video bitrate 4-5MBps) is not worth it to produce a real Blu Ray disc (15-25 MBps) as I won't notice any difference, so I produce an AVCHD-DVD version and save money on discs. I can enjoy my favorite series and movies with almost the same quality they were broadcasted. I can even resize to SD if I also want a DVD version which would be much better than starting with an SD source.
    I'll bet you didn't read much of this thread before posting. Most (or at least some) who replied to this thread already suggested saving UHD video as files on HDDs or optical media while waiting for consumer UHD Blu-ray authoring software.

Also some of what you suggested is not good practice. You can use AVI for almost any type of video, but AVI was not designed as a container for video codecs which typically use heavy inter-frame compression and very long GOPs like AVC and HEVC. Even if PCs can play such files, it is doubtful that the built-in media player in any UHD Blu-ray player would play AVC or HEVC in an AVI file. Support for TS, MKV or MP4 files is typical, but it is always necessary to check the manual because container/codec support varies. There is no industry-approved consumer authoring format like AVCHD for UHD video yet.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Nov 2017 at 20:14. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You got me! Yes, I didn't read at single reply in this thread, sorry. I didn't mean to create an AVI with AVC or HEVC content to play on a standalone player. This is only the "digital master" (after removing ads, deinterlacing etc) that I will later import into a compatible application to create a standard HD Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray version. I currently produce AVI files with x264vfw (H264 fourcc) video and AC3 audio which I import into MultiAVCHD to create the final AVCHD-DVD disc to keep. If the AVI file is Blu Ray compliant (AVC video and AC3 audio), MultiAVCHD creates the relevant files without re-encoding. This saves a lot of time and best of all, it keeps original (master's) quality, doesn't produce a 2nd generation (re-encoding) disc. I haven't tried with 4K discs, but I think they will be similar. Just create a compatible file as a "digital master" to feed it in an appropriate authoring application when available. If you make sure the file is compliant to the standard, the application should keep original data and give you the best disc without re-encoding (further loss of quality). Since VirtualDub has many nice features, if I can make a 4K compliant AVI to feed to the application, I would use x265vfw (HEVC fourcc) and AC3 audio. Why bother with MKV? I don't plan to play the AVI anywhere else than my computer or use it as the "master" for the final disc, so compatibility is of least concern. Once I have my disc created, I usually delete the AVI, unless I want to use it for other formats (eg make a standard DVD version in which case I import it in TMPGEnc).
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't follow exactly what you are proposing. But consumer software to author DVD and BD has existed for a while. There is no need for hacked solutions. IOW, I already author my 4K content to DVD and BD. Of course, I need to downrez for each format, but with care, the results are often stunning. The 4K digital edits however can only be viewed by some other means, not properly authored UHD BD, which is what this thread is about. As for using BD-R as a form of WORM archiving, I already do that as well. Some have made the assertion that studios want UHD BD to be some form of luxury format that consumers pay a premium for. Given that there are currently multiple ways to view 4K content on 4K TV in 4K besides UHD BD means, IMHO, that studios have failed in this endeavor. But the fact remains that UHD BD is orphaned. I suspect a consumer version will eventually appear on the market similar to BDAV and probably with a cap on the bitrate to prevent straight copying of Hollywood films. It is one of the few reasons I come to this forum anymore. Some rando will post in this thread when a consumer solution pops up.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always try to make my video files AVCHD-DVD compliant so that MultiAVCHD can create the necessary files without re-encoding and reducing quality. But I have used MultiAVCHD some times to work directly on non-compliant MKV files in order to produce an AVCHD-DVD disc. In that case I have to choose compatible settings such as resolution and the encoding bitrate. At the resolution selection I have seen greater than 1920x1080 resolutions, including 3840x2160 or 4096x2160. This means that potentially you can record 4K in AVCHD-DVD format, but haven't tried as I never had a true 4K source and no 4K TV to see the result. Anyone having a 4K TV could try creating such a disc and see if the resulting quality is acceptable and if the disc plays in standalone 4K Blu Ray player. Then please post here to inform us about.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always try to make my video files AVCHD-DVD compliant so that MultiAVCHD can create the necessary files without re-encoding and reducing quality. But I have used MultiAVCHD some times to work directly on non-compliant MKV files in order to produce an AVCHD-DVD disc. In that case I have to choose compatible settings such as resolution and the encoding bitrate. At the resolution selection I have seen greater than 1920x1080 resolutions, including 3840x2160 or 4096x2160. This means that potentially you can record 4K in AVCHD-DVD format, but haven't tried as I never had a true 4K source and no 4K TV to see the result. Anyone having a 4K TV could try creating such a disc and see if the resulting quality is acceptable and if the disc plays in standalone 4K Blu Ray player. Then please post here to inform us about.
    This is unworkable. UHD Blu-ray uses HEVC. As expected, since AVCHD is AVC only, MultiAVCHD didn't accept my 3840x2160 HEVC source file for AVCHD authoring. MultiAVCHD did accept a 3840x2160 AVC file, and I was able to author a non-compliant AVCHD disc containing 3840x2160 AVC video and AC3 audio, with a 1920x1080 menu. I doubt that a UHD Blu-ray player would be able to make heads or tales of it. This oddity is wildly off-spec for both AVCHD discs, where resolutions exceeding 1920x1080 are forbidden and UHD Blu-ray, where only HEVC is allowed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some Blu Ray players can also play some video files on a DVD or DB-R disc. Have you tried creating a disc with 4K AVC files and see if the player can play them? You may be surprised!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some Blu Ray players can also play some video files on a DVD or DB-R disc. Have you tried creating a disc with 4K AVC files and see if the player can play them? You may be surprised!
    LOL No, I would not be surprised. I guess you don't remember, but I already wrote a reply to you stating that some who responded to this thread suggested that many UHD Blu-ray players would play UHD video files on optical media:
    Most (or at least some) who replied to this thread already suggested saving UHD video as files on HDDs or optical media while waiting for consumer UHD Blu-ray authoring software.
    I looked through the user manuals for a few UHD Blu-ray players months ago. Codec and container support varies among UHD Blu-ray players, but either AVC or HEVC were often supported, and support for TS, MKV or MP4 files is common. However, there is no reason to use MultiAVCHD to create an AVCHD disc structure or an MTS file.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Nov 2017 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Neither MultiAVCHD nor BDEdit were created by any studio, nor with their blessing. Since the basic BD structure has been carried over to UHD BD, it's the HEVC that makes those programs unusable. Of course Ultra HD authoring tools will become available as the technology achieves more market penetration. Right now most people have computers that couldn't handle 4K blu-ray playback even if they had the drive.

I love it when people say never. How long were the naysayers insisting "Oh, AACS 2.0 is so hard to crack it may never happen"? Right. If nothing else, someone will tweak MultiAVCHD and you'll be able to use it with UHD discs. Likewise with other existing software for authoring traditional blu-rays complete with functional menus from your own videos. Camcorder sources, smartphones, and such. All you need to do is make the programs compatible with the newer codec. And when there's enough demand for it, someone else will if the studios don't.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ecortez View Post
    Neither MultiAVCHD nor BDEdit were created by any studio, nor with their blessing. Since the basic BD structure has been carried over to UHD BD, it's the HEVC that makes those programs unusable. Of course Ultra HD authoring tools will become available as the technology achieves more market penetration. Right now most people have computers that couldn't handle 4K blu-ray playback even if they had the drive.
    I don't agree that market penetration is the biggest barrier.

Cyberlink decided that sufficient consumer demand for watching UHD Blu-ray exists among HTPC enthusiasts to support a commercial product even though it is a small group and relatively few of them currently own computers with Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake processors and UHD Blu-ray drives.

There are probably more consumers shooting 4K video now with cameras and smartphones than there are HTPC enthusiasts but it doesn't seem like Cyberlink market research saw enough interest in UHD Blu-ray authoring to produce software for it.

I love it when people say never. How long were the naysayers insisting "Oh, AACS 2.0 is so hard to crack it may never happen"? Right.
    AACS 2.0 may not be cracked in the sense that AACS is cracked. Blu-ray decryption software, MakeMKV for example, doesn't necessarily need to phone home to decrypt Blu-ray discs. deUHD needs to phone home for every movie and Arusoft maintains a list of movies which deUHD supports. This could mean that Arusoft must obtain license keys for each movie on an individual basis in a way that is difficult to replicate in their software.

If nothing else, someone will tweak MultiAVCHD and you'll be able to use it with UHD discs.
    I don't think that MultiAVCHD is open source, so unless dean, the author, decides to release the source code, he would need to tweak it. ...but given that there have been no new releases for MultiAVCHD in several years, it doesn't seem like he is very interested in furthering its development.

Likewise with other existing software for authoring traditional blu-rays complete with functional menus from your own videos. Camcorder sources, smartphones, and such. All you need to do is make the programs compatible with the newer codec. And when there's enough demand for it, someone else will if the studios don't.
    That is far from certain. Many consumers have moved from optical discs to streaming for media consumption and have no interest in optical discs or optical disc players. ...and many who are shooting video as a hobby are content with enjoying their personal videos as files on an HDD.

Also, HDR is the one thing that really makes UHD Blu-ray video so much more enjoyable to watch than Blu-ray video, and good HDR video isn't easy produce. Doing a competent job requires knowing a great deal about color grading. Home-authored UHD Blu-ray may be disappointing to those used to watching commercial UHD Blu-ray.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Dec 2017 at 13:49. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ecortez View Post
    Neither MultiAVCHD nor BDEdit were created by any studio, nor with their blessing. Since the basic BD structure has been carried over to UHD BD, it's the HEVC that makes those programs unusable. Of course Ultra HD authoring tools will become available as the technology achieves more market penetration. Right now most people have computers that couldn't handle 4K blu-ray playback even if they had the drive.

I love it when people say never. How long were the naysayers insisting "Oh, AACS 2.0 is so hard to crack it may never happen"? Right. If nothing else, someone will tweak MultiAVCHD and you'll be able to use it with UHD discs. Likewise with other existing software for authoring traditional blu-rays complete with functional menus from your own videos. Camcorder sources, smartphones, and such. All you need to do is make the programs compatible with the newer codec. And when there's enough demand for it, someone else will if the studios don't.
    That is the first intelligent response to my OP I've read. And if it is true, then the licensing hurdles for HEVC in an authoring program must price any such software out of the hands of consumers. At least that makes a lot more sense than the countless boobs who endlessly beat their chests saying that it will never happen, studios won't allow it, there is insufficient interest from consumers, blah blah blah. Otherwise we would have surely seen a consumer title with UHD BD authoring capability by now.

So if this is true, it begs two questions. One, will HEVC licensing costs ever be affordable for consumers? Two, will an open sourced authoring tool ever materialize? I don't think I am being unreasonable when I say that the probability of one of these happening is substantially greater than zero.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until a 4K equivalent to the AVCHD-DVD comes out that allows the consumer to record 4K video on a standard BD-R disk or other medium, and which plays on the majority of UHD players, we can still test compatibility of our current players with 4K video files. Once we find the format (eg MKV) that our player supports, we can record video files in a data BD-R disk and let the player read and play the files. So, assuming there is at least one format that supports 4K and our player can read, we can start a small collection today and convert that to proper UHD disc when the software is available. I tested some of my devices, such as my video projector, our HD Samsung smart TV, my DBV-T tuner, sadly none supports higher resolution than 1080p, even if encoded in AVC in a format such as MKV that they otherwise can read. They do not support 4K video. Once I encode 1080p or lower at the same format they have no problem playing them... I do not have a 4K player yet, but I bet one could also play 4K MKVs. All you have to do is to test it and you might be lucky!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Real news: Cyberlink will consider adding a UHD Blu-ray authoring feature to a future version of PowerDirector when a spec for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning has been completed and drive support for UHD Blu-ray burning exists.

From PDNews, Issue 7 December 2017:
    Some users have been asking for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning. Can you update the readers on the industry’s position and when CyberLink may implement this feature?

“Sure. When we were planning and developing PowerDirector 16, there was no official specification document for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning. This spec is provided by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) and is what we use as the guideline for development for Blu-ray related features, including for both playback and burning.

The BDA’s specification is required for industry standard development and is needed to achieve the official Ultra HD Blu-ray logo certification. This logo certifies that all burned discs are playable on standalone Ultra HD Blu-ray players and has always been one of the deciding factors for our development. If we did not adhere to the BDA specification and did the development on our own, the playability of the resulting discs would not be consistent across players.

We also had discussions with several optical disc drive manufacturers, and were led to believe that at the time they had not started implementing Ultra HD Blu-ray burning in their devices.

However, there is some positive news to report as there is now a draft spec for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning, and we will be considering this feature for a future version once the spec is set.”
    A link to download Issue 7 may be found at https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64399.page
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Dec 2017 at 17:34.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good news! However, it doesn't have to be compatible with every single player yet. As long as it can be played on ones player, he could make a small collection and then convert to a more universal standard with minimal loss of quality (hopefully). So try 4K in h264 format first, and when a universal standard for HEVC is available you switch to that. Chances are that the new standard will not be compatible with current players anyway, so why wait for it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way. You want something sooner, there's nothing stopping you from putting unauthored 4k files on any disc type, or other type storage..

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Dec 2017 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are many Android media players that connect on TV with HDMI and support HEVC and 4K, so one could buy one and start a collection of 4K movies. The players can play from SD card or USB or from a network drive. It doesn't have to be a disc-based collection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't, but then it would have nothing to do with the topic of this thread (UHDBD Authoring). As has already been previously stated multiple times.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia Do you remember this post of yours in another SameSelf UHD Blu-ray thread?

All along you have said that the BDA has (up to now at least) restricted the production of authored UHD Blu-ray to major players the entertainment industry. Since we now have some proof courtesy of Cyberlink that the current UHD Blu-ray technical specs only cover pressed media, you've been proven correct. We may have consumer Blu-ray authoring software in the future but probably no sooner than 2 or 3 years from now, given that the spec covering burned UHD Blu-ray is still being written.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Dec 2017 at 16:11. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah I remember. And yet still being derided as an "unintelligent boob" by some. It would bother me if I was worried about their opinion.

Times do change things...it may come to be that aacs 2 gets TRULY cracked (I'm still dubious about the current attempt) or that burnable authoring becomes an option (though readers/players would have to be updated to ensure compliant support for them), but it is already clear that the trend in raw files & streaming among consumers means the trajectory for UHD will be slow and tentative.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Dec 2017 at 17:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    It looks like the majority (all?) of these uhd players will play "discs with user recorded content" such as mp4 burned on a blu-ray disc. I'm going to use that as a workaround when I get my UHD player. Personally, my favorite movie is Big Buck Bunny, I plan on playing it in my UHD player on an mp4 disc many many times

http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/311882_en.pdf

Thanks for that, perhaps the best solution, Also FutureProof!!!!!
    Pure File on Disc is fine if it's playable
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. And if you give enough bitrate to the video, then it will make a good master for a future UHD Blu Ray disc, whatever is the future solution for the consumer, as a good MP4 HD file is a good master for an AVCHD-DVD disc. I wonder, does the ACVHD bitrate calculator apply also for UHD content? I guess the bitrate is valid as long as the format is AVC, maybe a HEVC is a little smaller for the same bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Some of you were waiting for some "multiAVCHD" equivalent" , something poped up, TSM2UHD. It suppose to work differently, it fixes BDMV structure for UHD video to play it on UHD player. I guess it makes UHD player to believe it is Blu-Ray and plays it. But because of it, max bitrates must be set accordingly as for BD, not UHD.
    Last edited by _Al_; 21st Dec 2017 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Some of you were waiting for some "multiAVCHD" equivalent" , something pop up, TSM2UHD. It suppose to work differently, it fixes BDMV structure for UHD video to play it on UHD player. I guess it makes UHD player to believe it is Blu-Ray and plays it. But because of it, max bitrates must be set accordingly as for BD, not UHD.
    That's a good start! As for the bitrate, I am not using Blu Ray bitrates in AVCHD anyway. If I want the final result to fit on a plain DVD+R or DVD-R disc, then I use bitrates below 10MBps (most movies I do about 5-6Mbps to fit the whole movie in one disc). The same will be the case for UHD. I should be using smaller bitrates than true UHD Blu Ray if I need to fit the whole movie in a standard 25GB BD-R disc. Of course that means that the quality will not be comparable to true UHD disc, but that is not my purpose. The purpose is to make a "homebrew" UHD disc (homebrew is the term for user code in otherwise proprietary computers and game consoles). I do not have 4K TV or player yet, but it wouldn't harm to add this utility in my collection for future use. In the mean time I can do some tests and learn how to use it...
    Quote Quote