VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. All right. Hopefully somebody (most likely, all of you) are much smarter me, because I am truly confused.

A few months ago, I was using Handbrake to rip blu-rays. It worked fantastically. I'd then import the footage to Final Cut Pro for editing - again, it worked perfectly.

However, yesterday, after an absence of a couple of months, I returned to my Mac to do the exact same thing. Now though, whenever I try to source a blu-ray, after a few seconds of thinking, I am told 'No Valid Source Found'.

I cleaned the blu-ray disc of any dust or finger prints and tried again. No luck. I then tried a brand new blu-ray disc. Again, no luck.

I then tried a regular DVD. It worked perfectly. Just like the old days! I then tried a blu-ray disc again, thinking the DVD had broken the curse, but as you can guess...it had not.

So what's going on here? I have a feeling the problem lays with my Mac (OS X Yosemite) itself. As I tried MakeMKV and the results were the same; DVDs yes, Blu-rays no.

I know this might be more of a problem with the Mac, but I thought it'd be best to post here, rather than a Mac forum as someone may have encountered this problem before in their blu-ray ripping careers.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try updating your ripping software, are these store bought pressed Blu-ray discs or homemade?
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JackChorizo View Post

So what's going on here? I have a feeling the problem lays with my Mac (OS X Yosemite) itself. As I tried MakeMKV and the results were the same; DVDs yes, Blu-rays no.
    Place a BD into the drive and try to read its directory listing.
    If even the operating system can't detect the Blu-Ray disc, then possibly the drive itself is dying
    (i.e., the violet laser diode does not work anymore).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Try updating your ripping software, are these store bought pressed Blu-ray discs or homemade?
    Yes, all up to date. Store bought. I've tried 4-5 discs. Including one which I successfully ripped months earlier.

[QUOTE=El Heggunte;2455675]
    Originally Posted by JackChorizo View Post

Place a BD into the drive and try to read its directory listing.
    If even the operating system can't detect the Blu-Ray disc, then possibly the drive itself is dying
    (i.e., the violet laser diode does not work anymore).
    I thought the same. However, I launched the blu-ray disc in a media player and it played fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My guess is Apple updated something that is interfering(either intentional or unintentional), the MPAA is very influential and is going full-tilt against Blu-ray copying(they gave up on DVD).
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 11th Aug 2016 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote