VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Facts:

- I recently acquired an XH-A1 Canon for college.
    - I used it to film a wedding recently, but I'm having troubles capturing and transferring it.
    - I tried using both Windows Movie Maker and HDVSplit .77 beta to capture and transfer it, but both times the files would say size of 0 bytes and wouldn't let me view them.
    - Also, something else notable is while it was capturing it through firewire, the preview screens for both capture methods were black.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

My preferred method would be to capture through Adobe Premiere 14, but I found out that my device isn't compatible.
    Last edited by TheCinematicRose; 8th Aug 2016 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It might seem too obvious to ask but anyway, just to make sure: you are using the Firewire (IEEE 1394) port of the camcorder, right? And connected it to a Firewire port on your computer, right? No USB at all, right? USB on Camcorders is for photos only. You must use Firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    It might seem too obvious to ask but anyway, just to make sure: you are using the Firewire (IEEE 1394) port of the camcorder, right? And connected it to a Firewire port on your computer, right? No USB at all, right? USB on Camcorders is for photos only. You must use Firewire.
    That is a bit obvious of a question, but yes I am using Firewire hdv/dv port on my camcorder and firewire 6 point port on my computer. USB wouldn't work as you said.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Did you set PLAYBACK STD according to the instructions on Page 109 of the manual?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Did you set PLAYBACK STD according to the instructions on Page 109 of the manual?
    Yes. I have it set to HDV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when using hdvsplit with win7 or newer os you have to put it in a folder other than c:/program files(86) and then you have to run hdvsplit as admin or even better set it to always run as admin by right clicking on hdvsplit.exe select properties/compatibility and change the privilege level to always run as admin. click apply and ok. otherwise it doesn't have os permission to write files.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote