VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

I hope somebody can help me. I think i've a problem with DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper and the Dolby Atmos Audio, if i try to rip my Blu-rays with the Profile "MKV Passthrough". What i want to do? I want to rip all my Blu-rays on my NAS Device for streaming all my movies to every Device in my Network.

Important to me is particularly the quality of the video and audio tracks. That's why I use the profile "MKV passthrough". Yesterday i've tried to rip the Bluray "The Expandables 3" with an Dolby Atmos Audio Track. I checked the MKV file with MediaInfo after ripping the Blu-ray. What i saw, was only a normal AC3 5.1 Audio Track in the Dolby True HD codec. But i cant see an Information for the original 7.1 Dolby True HD Atmos Audio Track.

It seems like DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper converts the Dolby Atmos Track to an normal 5.1 AC3 Audio Track. Now I've copied and riped the bluray with: DVDFab Bluray Copy, DVDFab Bluray Ripper an Make MKV. I try to explain it with some screenshots.

First i copied the main movie, with DVDFab Bluray Copy, from the Blu-ray Disc with the original video and audio tracks, to my internal pc storage.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dvdfab-bluray-copy.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	38072

This is what MediaInfo reads from the Blu-ray folder after copying.

Name:	mediainfo-bluray-copy.JPG
Views:	1596
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	38073
    Download Details in txt.
    The Expandables 3 - Bluray Copy - MediaInfo - Details.txt

Next i make a rip to a MKV File with the Profile "Passthrough".

Name:	dvdfab-bluray-ripper.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	38075

I've also selected "Copy Audio" in the Profile Settings.

Name:	dvdfab-bluray-ripper-audio.jpg
Views:	2063
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	38076

This is what MediaInfo reads from the MKV file after ripping.

Name:	mediainfo-bluray-ripper.JPG
Views:	1541
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	38077
    Download Details in txt.
    The Expandables 3 - Bluray Ripper - MediaInfo - Details.txt

Because I thought that the problem is with DVDFab Blu Ray Ripper, I have additionally created a Rip with Make MKV, from the Bluray Copy of the main movie.

Name:	make-mkv-rip.JPG
Views:	1374
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	38079

This is what MediaInfo reads from the MKV file after ripping with MakeMKV.

Name:	mediainfo-make-mkv.jpg
Views:	1637
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	38080
    Download Details in txt.
    The Expandables 3 - MakeMKV - MediaInfo - Details.txt

It seems like in the MKV File from DVDFab Bluray Ripper is only a normal TrueHD 5.1 audio track. But in the Copy from DVDFab Bluray Copy and the Rip from MakeMKV, is the original 7.1 Dolby Atmos track.I've attached the Details.txt Files from MediaInfo. There you can see that only the MKV File from DVDFab Bluray Ripper has only 6 Channels. Not 8.

What I'm doing wrong or is it a Bug in DVDFab Blu Ray Ripper?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!
    Last edited by Hannes2244; 8th Aug 2016 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never had any problems ripping an Atmos soundtrack using MakeMKV - is your MediaInfo up to date? The older versions don't recognise Atmos.

Edit - the info looks correct for the MakeMKV rip - it shows 8 channel audio?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey,

thanks for answering. Yes, it seems that MakeMKV does anything right. But I want to rip my Blu-rays with DVDFab Bluray Ripper, because i want to rip them into a HEVC MKV.

I've downloaded MediaInfo from here: https://mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo and I use the Version 0.7.87.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Here's something that might work for you, though it is a lot of extra steps.

Make an MKV with MakeMKV.

Make an MKV HEVC version with DVDFab.

Demux the audio from the MakeMKV version using MKVToolnix and MKVCleaver.

Mux the extracted audio into your HEVC version using MKVToolnix, removing the audio produced by Fab at the same time. This should work, but it is a lot of trouble trying to fix a deficiency built into the Fab program. I don't use Fab for anything except decryption.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So you're not ripping the file - you're re-encoding it to HEVC.
    You can get what you want by muxing the audio from the MakeMKV file with the video output from DVDFab. Try using MKVMerge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. oh, and I was all the time uncertain whether DVDFab is right. Then I've invested 100 € ~ 110 $ in vain. Then I would just have to buy Passkey. But it must be a bug in DVDFab or doesn't it support 7.1 Audio/Atmos.

As you lay your movies onto hdd?

Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
    So you're not ripping the file - you're re-encoding it to HEVC.
    You can get what you want by muxing the audio from the MakeMKV file with the video output from DVDFab. Try using MKVMerge.
    Yes, sorry you're right! I've confused that.

Sorry for my bad english, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just can not understand why it does not work with DVDFab. I activate Audio Copy and DVDFab changed it to a normal 5.1 AC3 audio track. I thought DVDFab is one of the best programs to rip or re-encode.

Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
    So you're not ripping the file - you're re-encoding it to HEVC.
    If i do that, could it be that i get problems with the synchronization of video and audio?
    Last edited by Hannes2244; 9th Aug 2016 at 02:10.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, I have done everything. See my Screenshots.

Name:	screenshot-02.JPG
Views:	1144
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	38091Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-01.JPG
Views:	1070
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	38092Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-03.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	38093
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just give up on DVDFab - it really is not the best tool for the job.
    Why don't you rip using MakeMKV and then re-encode the video to HEVC using RipBot264 or Handbrake, then remux the Atmos audio from the original rip? That should work perfectly and also give a better result than DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    You can also try BD_RB
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
    Just give up on DVDFab - it really is not the best tool for the job.
    Why don't you rip using MakeMKV and then re-encode the video to HEVC using RipBot264 or Handbrake, then remux the Atmos audio from the original rip? That should work perfectly and also give a better result than DVDFab.
    Thanks for your answers!

That surprises me. As I looked for a tool I could find no reference to support HEVC in HandBrake. I must have been blind.

Although it no longer fits in this thread. I've two questions about re-encoding to HEVC. Now I'm using a Intel XEON E3-1231 v3 CPU. With DVDFab I need about 7 hours to re-encode a Blu-ray to HEVC. Is this normal?

What's so bad to DVDFab?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    HEVC takes a lot of time to encode. I haven't had any reason to use it, and am sticking with H264 for the foreseeable future.

DVDFab is known to cut corners to speed up encoding times at the cost of quality of output. This wouldn't be so bad, since some people do this anyway with other tools, but Fab does it by default, and it isn't the easiest program to adjust in the encoding parameters, leaving many of the controls of the encoders out of reach of the users. That's why there is a lot of disdain held towards Fab by the members here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    HEVC takes a lot of time to encode. I haven't had any reason to use it, and am sticking with H264 for the foreseeable future.

DVDFab is known to cut corners to speed up encoding times at the cost of quality of output. This wouldn't be so bad, since some people do this anyway with other tools, but Fab does it by default, and it isn't the easiest program to adjust in the encoding parameters, leaving many of the controls of the encoders out of reach of the users. That's why there is a lot of disdain held towards Fab by the members here.

Hey,

I've been thinking about HEVC because Blu Rays already take so much space. My NAS Device is limited to 8TB. I've running a Beebox N3150 with Emby Server and Kodi, but i can only use 3 USB HDD. I thought that it would make more sense to use HEVC because it takes up much less space. I want my films are always available on the network and does not need to change the hard drives on the server. Whether in the NAS or the beebox.

I think I need per Blu-ray 20-25 Gb memory. So I need (about 150 Blu-rays) about 4TB storage for my current collection. How are you storing your Movies and which hard drives or server solutions do you use?

What did you mean with: "is known to cut corners to speed up encoding"?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

This has been my experience as well. Encoding with the CRF option is much faster than with Handbrake, but you end up with a much larger file. I found the differences in picture quality to be negligible. As for compression to BD5/BD9/BD25, I don't find DVDFab to be any faster or better than BD Rebuilder. And on the "High Quality (Default)" encoding speed, it really doesn't take that long.

Originally Posted by Hannes2244 View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Hey,

I've been thinking about HEVC because Blu Rays already take so much space. My NAS Device is limited to 8TB. I've running a Beebox N3150 with Emby Server and Kodi, but i can only use 3 USB HDD. I thought that it would make more sense to use HEVC because it takes up much less space. I want my films are always available on the network and does not need to change the hard drives on the server. Whether in the NAS or the beebox.

I think I need per Blu-ray 20-25 Gb memory. So I need (about 150 Blu-rays) about 4TB storage for my current collection. How are you storing your Movies and which hard drives or server solutions do you use?

I recommend running your rips through Handbrake, CRF 18, High Profile, Slow x264 speed, Film Tune, H264 Level 4.1, and converting the HD audio to either 640 or 448 AC3 5.1. This should significantly reduce the size of the file while maintaining enough quality to be transparent most times. I have an i7-4790k and it takes me anywhere from 2-4 hours. On one of the newer LGA-2011 v3 i7's such as the 6800k, I would suspect this would be much faster since it can use 12 threads for encoding.

As for storage solutions, the 3 and 4TB drives are relatively cheap right now. I would only use WD Red or HGST drives. Those have the best reputations for reliability currently. Seagate Archival 8TB are pretty low priced, but I have mixed feelings about their reliability, especially after reading numerous reviews on them.

It uses faster H264 settings. I know with x264, the slower speeds will produce smaller files and provide better picture quality. I have not noticed a huge difference in picture quality between DVDFab CRF 20 and a High Profile, Slow, CRF 20 encode using Handbrake. But I did notice that DVDFab produces a much larger file. If you're just wanting to quickly encode something for a vacation or quick viewing, then I guess DVDFab's CRF would be fine. If you're doing it for archival, then DVDFab is not the way.
    Last edited by stonesfan129; 26th Aug 2016 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote