VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All, I am a hobbyist videographer and editor looking to buy a new computer. Hitfilm which I'm planning on using has recently recommended the following spec, 1Tb SSD PCIE, 16Gb RAM, 64 bit operating system, Intel i7 with 4 or more cores and a GTX 1070 graphics card. Now I realise that with my budget of £750 I'm not going to get all that but what should I cut back on and what should I try to keep given that I am not a professional but still want to turn out something looking good.

Thanks for any help.............Keith Adams
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the '1TB' would be the storage hard drive size and the SSD would be likely smaller.
    I use about a 120GB SSD for the OS. A 1TB SSD would be overly expensive, IMO.

Then I use three or so 1 - 4TB storage hard drives in addition to the boot SSD.
    16GB RAM would work, as would a 64bit OS.

And a quad core CPU sounds good. Video cards not so important, it's mostly for viewing.

And you likely could put it together or find a PC that would do what you want for about £750.

But others here will likely have their own advice.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the advice redwudz, will resume the search with a bit more knowledge. Ta.....Keith
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an i7, 4790K computer with SSD (boot drive) and a Velocity raptor, 10000 rpm, one TB HD.
    Really quick!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like HitFilm uses the GPU heavily for rendering everything, so a dedicated GPU can't/shouldn't be avoided. But I'm not so sure you need a ~$400 GTX 1070 which is one of the very top cards out there. Maybe a GTX 950 card would be more economical, as it supports everything the 1070 supports (DirectX 12 OpenGL 4.5). It's has about half the performance of the 1070 at a third the price (~$150).

I don't know how long Hitfilm takes to render any of the effects, nor do I know for what duration you will be using this program. But I'd probably go with the 1070 or 1080 if I worked with this program every working day of the year, or just had money to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks all, still searching but getting closer, meantime doing lots of shooting for when I can get compiling. Ta.......Keith
    Quote Quote