VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Toshiba Qosmio F750-12P
    Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD04A
    Windows 7 Premium.

- Bluray discs won't play. DVDs will play. No relevant drivers available from the Toshiba website.

- WinDVD will play DVDs but not 2 different Bluray discs I got from the local library. The discs are newish and unmarked.

- The Pioneer internal Bluray player gives a "disc not found" error in any software which tries to access it, whenever I try to play a Bluray disc. I suspect its firmware needs updating(?) but there no mention of my player, at all, on Pioneer's own website. So I guess it's obsolete as far as playing Bluray discs is concerned.

However, I'm posting here to make sure I'm not missing something obvious, before I shell out for an external player.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDVD Pro is needed to play Blu-Ray discs. The standard version of WinDVD only plays DVDs. Are you using WindDVD Pro?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you good sir. I am using the Pro version. I think the problem is more fundamental. Any software I use simply doesn't 'see' the Bluray disk in the drive. It is curious.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I don't think it's a software-player problem. Commercial softwares licence a proprietary codec, or somesuch, from Sony, so freeware players commonly won't play Bluray.

My laptop offers glasses-free 3D, and at the moment 2d to 3d conversion looks ... interesting, so I'd like to see what a true 3D Bluray disc looks like on it.

I'm prepared to buy an external player if that's what it takes, but I'm hoping some clever chap can offer an explanation as to why the one in my laptop won't go the extra mile and allow Bluray discs to be 'seen' as such, by WinDVD and PowerDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the Blu-ray laser died. It happens. The DVD laser in my Pioneer internal desktop Blu-ray burner died after 3 years. It no longer sees DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Isn't it necessary to constantly, annoyingly update Blu Ray players as "they" add more and more types of encryption to newer discs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Isn't it necessary to constantly, annoyingly update Blu Ray players as "they" add more and more types of encryption to newer discs?
    Yes, but even when it encounters a Blu-ray disc using a new protection scheme, PowerDVD Ultra detects the disc, even if it won't play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Our bedroom DVD player died recently and begrudgingly had to finally buy a Blu Ray player. Bought two Blu Ray discs so far, haven't watched either of them. Hated the idea of Blu ray (over HD-DVD) since day one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Perhaps the Blu-ray laser died. It happens. The DVD laser in my Pioneer internal desktop Blu-ray burner died after 3 years. It no longer sees DVDs.
    But my player will play DVDs quite happily.

This, I think, is true. The Bluray discs I used are recent releases. My player dates from 2011. There are no firmware updates for it anywhere, that I can see, nor drivers. So, we might be looking at truly obsolescent tech.(?)

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yes, but even when it encounters a Blu-ray disc using a new protection scheme, PowerDVD Ultra detects the disc, even if it won't play it.
    Yes, that's the key point. My player isn't dead. It plays DVDs fine. It just doesn't detect Bluray discs at all; it's like I inserted a coaster.

Than ye for taking the trouble to reply. I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu Ray readers have two lasers. One for CD/DVD and one for Blu Ray discs. It's possible the Blu Ray laser diode has failed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Blu Ray readers have two lasers. One for CD/DVD and one for Blu Ray discs. It's possible the Blu Ray laser diode has failed.
    Ah, I think we may have a winner.

Hmm, that's a bit of a nuisance. Hey ho, it's off to eBay I go, I think.

Thank you, Mr Layne.
    Quote Quote