VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Guys I am needing some help. Yesterday I was filming with my GoPro and when I got home to review my videos, the last four files were all corrupt and will not open. The information is there because the files are the right data size (My camera films in 10 minute segments), but they just won't open. I have tried everything. I tried Yodot Mov Repair. I tried downloading the Rem Video Repair Tool but Norton deleted it as a virus. I tried converting the file with VLC but VLC cannot even access the file. I tried doing a disc repair in the micro Sd card. Right now, I am uploading one of the file to youtube in the hopes that their system might be able to repair it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The Grau Video Repair Tool may help you. Turn off that big yellow virus called "Norton" so you can download and run it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but I already tried that tool. It does nothing. FYI. The page you linked to has dead links on it. None of them work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jungleexplorer View Post
    Thanks, but I already tried that tool. It does nothing. FYI. The page you linked to has dead links on it. None of them work.
    Works for me. Here is the link that's posted on the VideoHelp page:
    http://grauonline.de/download/videorepair.zip

The information is there because the files are the right data size
    Unfortunately, your conclusion does not necessarily hold. We have seen many files of the right size that are filled with 00 or FF bytes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The file reports a size of 1.9 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The file reports a size of 1.9 GB.
    still meaningless as the file can contain nothing but blank data padding. use a hex editor an look at what's in the file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try VirtualDub. For the hex editor, select it in 'Tools' and drop in your video and it may be able to open it.
    You can also try to read it with MediaInfo and it might give you some information.
    You can also compare the file to a working file with those tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Try VirtualDub. For the hex editor, select it in 'Tools' and drop in your video and it may be able to open it.
    You can also try to read it with MediaInfo and it might give you some information.
    You can also compare the file to a working file with those tools.
    Thank you. I will try those. Notepad cannot open it because it is to large and I was wondering what to use. You anticipated my need and answered my next question before I asked it. No wonder you are a Super Moderator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Waaaaa!!!

There is no doubt about it. The file is empty. My video is lost. Stupid Chinese SD card! ARRRGGGGG! This video was of once in a life time event. I was walking out in the woods and this huge rattlesnake attacked me. I don't mean it just sat there and rattled. I mean it came after me. But the way it came after me was weird and something I have never seen a rattlesnake do. The front half of the body was off the ground like a King Cobra. I have never seen that before. I am really upset that this video is lost.

Heed my warning! Never buy those cheap sd cards. I always buy top of the line stuff but I saw a deal on some cheap micro sd cards and thought I would give them a try. This was the first time I used this card. NEVER AGAIN!

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. At least now I can move on now that I know there is no hope left.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Did you look at the file with a byte editor? (I use HxD.) MediaInfo will report "truncated" when it can't make sense of a file, but it doesn't mean there is absolutely no media there. Browse the file with HxD and if you find nothing but zeroes or FFs after the header, then you can conclude it's truly lost.

Next time something like this happens, CLONE the drive before you try any sort of repair on it. You want to be able to go back in case rescue efforts make it worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HxD shows nothing but 00000000000000000000000
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had the same problem. I took about 20 videos and only the first 6 are useable. My files are all high values. I bought a cheap 128 Gb Micro SD card off Ebay thinking that I was getting a good deal. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379704-Unable-to-open-MOV-files
    Quote Quote