VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I’ve got a video which is political map of a territory changing over time. I want to repaint an area of the map (a country) with different color. If it was still image, I would use ‘Magic Wand + Paint Bucket’ in Photoshop. If it was 20 still images, I would write an action and call it 20 times. But how do I apply this change to hunders/thousands of frames? Is there a smart way to do what I want and not repaint single frames?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What are the distinguishing features or characteristics ? Can you post a sample image or video? And what specifically are the changes over time (I'm guessing it grows or shrinks, but you need to be specific)

For example, if the territory of interest was a certain color or hue different than the peripheral territories, then you might use a color key to isolate it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm going to repaint only 'still' territories that don't grow or shrink, so it would be the same mask for all frames. But I think I can't use a color key because I need only certain areas to be repainted, not everything painted in key color.
    Here's how it looks in Photoshop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 17.48.17.png
Views:	94
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	38017

Do you know the way to apply a Photoshop action to a given range of frames?

Tools I currently posses are Motion 5 and Photoshop but I think I can try something else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "I’ve got a video which is political map of a territory changing over time"
    If it doesn't grow or shrink, what characteristics are "changing" over time ?

Is it a still map? - or is there animation either of the map, or the camera?

Or did you mean it grows / shrinks, but you're interested in the territories that do not change ?

If there is no motion, no change in the area of interest, you can use a static layer mask. Motion is probably better suited compared to photoshop when there is change over time or motion.

But instead of me typing out steps, there should be dozens of step by step video tutorials on youtube and similar sites, just use search terms "photoshop layer mask video" . But if the characteristics change, that requires different steps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I just realized that I can create my paint-over in a separate layer and adjust its visibility across the frames as I need. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote