VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Solveig Splitter to trim x264/mp4 clips and then join them with no reencoding but it lacks titling (even simple on black background). I've resorted to inserting black scenes filmed with the same camera to avoid compatibility issues.

Is there software out there that can do that or just reencode as little as possible or is it a lost cause ? In this case what's the simplest software with reencoding around? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo TV Suite 5 has a titling feature, although I have never used it. I think transitions are limited to fade-in fade out. It smart-encodes for MPEG-2 and H.264 input.

I don't have TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5, but I tried it and remember it has a titling feature, although I don't recall what it is like. It costs a bit less and smart-encodes MPEG-2, H.264 and H.265 input.

Both programs have a free trial.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A belated thanks for the quick reply. I'll gave the trial versions a try Any suggestions on a simple editor or is there little middle ground between these utilities and powerhouses like Premiere ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    A belated thanks for the quick reply. I'll gave the trial versions a try Any suggestions on a simple editor or is there little middle ground between these utilities and powerhouses like Premiere ?
    I thought SolveigMM Video Splitter, VideoReDo and TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 were all simple/basic editors.

If you want a basic NLE (separate timelines for audio and video), I haven't run across any consumer NLE's with the ability to smart render H.264 camera files. The only basic NLE I have which smart renders, MPEG Video Wizard DVD, is only for MPEG-2 editing. Maybe someone else can recommend one for H.264 editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i haven't looked recently but there used to be premiere elements, and sony movie studio for people looking for an editor at a better price point. sony by far is the easier to learn.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will look at Sony app, thanks.

@usually_quiet - right these three tools are great, but limited when it comes to adding titles, transitions, audio, etc...hence my search for the simplest possible editor, even if it doesn't offer smart rendering.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wouldn't say that they are limited. Movie Studio does titles, transitions, audio and more. I suspect elements does also.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So...I finally got around to trying "TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5" and it does work rather well (no reencoding, adding titles and transitions)...except that it does not appear to let you add an audio track, which is a problem for silent drone footage! I suppose I could upload to YouTube and then add an audio track there but it seems a bit silly, besides the files on my HD would be silent.

Does anyone see a way around that ? I seem to remember using Yamb to remux mp4 files but also remember that the audio got all jumbled up. Thanks !
    Quote Quote