VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I everyone. I hope u r all well.
    I bought a LITE-ON IHAS324-32 Internal SATA DVD Writer yesterday as I found out my last dvd optical drive I bought online was a cheap knock-off. Anyway, as far as burning dvd's to play on my dvd player goes, is it beneficial to set the region code on the rom drive?
    I was mighty pissed off as I had burned lots of dvds for myself and couldn't work out why they were all skipping on my dvd players. I had thought it was just poor quality media. I don't want a repeat of that so was just wondering does it make any difference to the dvd burning success with regards to playback on a dvd player if the region is set on the rom drive?
    Thank you for your time and advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no, because you have a limited number of user changes ( usually only 4 ) after u use all 4 the drive will become permanently locked to the last
    region u set. the skipping could be either poor quality media or the decryption program you have. also what burning program do you use ?? imgburn is the best
    and how fast do you burn. always burn at half the rated speed. i always burn at 4x speed. also what brand of blank discs do you use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tbh I was just using the windows disc image burner to burn iso files. That never really let me choose a speed. When I started having skipping and sticking problems on playback I bought verbatim and installed imgburn. Just used lowest speed settings (that was the advice given last time I looked into this subject,maybe 2003 lol).
    TBH im almost certain now it was because I bought a cheap knock off dvd rom online. it preported to be an LG but when I went to the LG website I couldn't find model number for firmware. In fact couldn't find firmware for that model number anywhere on the web. Just the occasional place selling the optical drive.
    This new drive seems much better. Can easily find help and support for it at Liteon site.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a pitty I spent months converting and burning discs for myself. 1. was a pain in the arse and 2.wasted time + blank media. Usually only convert and burn stuff so me and the miss's have sumfin to watch at bedtime but we both got annoyed cause everything seemed to be sticking. at first thought it was our dvd player and then just thought it was the blank media. yet to test new dvd rom but pretty sure I corrected the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Burning or your burner is not the problem (there are no cheap knock off burners - just rebadged ones).....your problem all along was "converting" to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I should not set region on my dvd rom before I start burning?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tfamok View Post
    Region has ZERO to do with burning or "sticking".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tfamok View Post
    You should never need to set the region code on a DVD or Blu-ray burner unless you use a commercial software player, which will always force users to set the region code(s) because they are designed to behave just like a hardware player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank u very much for the help & advice guys. Cheers
    Quote Quote