VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Everyone !

As I said in the subject header, I am new here (and in the field), and need some help for my son (single dad, he is 24), who has Autism. My reason for seeking help here is that given the relative lack of opportunities for a person who has Autism to have a fulfilling life and employment career, I have thought about starting him in his own video production business, ultimately with the goal of selling DVD's of his finished work. I will not go into details here, but I do believe there is a niche in which he is highly interested, which has some possibilities.

I am a complete novice and as with most things in his life, I will be there to teach him and help him along the way. As a newbie, I have many questions, which I am sure to most, if not all of you, will seem elemental in nature, and I ask patience, understanding, and forgiveness in advance., but his challenges are my challenges, and I learned a long time ago that breaking things down into small steps, is for him, the most productive way to teach a new skill. A quick word about my son. From my observation, he takes to technology VERY well. I am not saying he is a savant, but sometimes he makes me wonder. Sorry for the long introduction.

I have done quite a bit of research , and I think a 4K camera is the way to go as a way to "future proof" ourselves. Nearly 100% of our shooting will be from a tripod, and 99.9% of the shooting will be outdoors. With the knowledge about the specs and use of cameras that I have gained, I need the guidance and input from actual users of video equipment to help me make fundamental choice(s) about equipment and it's uses. These are the cameras that I am looking at, and I am open to other suggestions

Panasonic- DVX 200, XC-X1000, UX 180, UX 90

JVC- HM 200, LS 300

Sony- PXW X70, PXW Z150, PXW Z100, FDR AX1, PXW FS5

My first question is what does everyone think of these cameras (or any others) ? Which camera has the most shallow learning curve ? Ideally, it would be as close to point and shoot as possible, and still fill our needs. I know that it is the photographer, or in this case the videographer not the camera that makes the video, but we need all the help (camera) that we can get.

Please keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to sell his production(s), so it would be "easier" to get a camera for that purpose , rather than buying something less involved to learn on. As challenging as it is to sometimes teach him a something, it is harder by far to unteach something and then try to teach a similar skill using a different methodology. In this case, it would be "easier" to teach him on the camera he is going to use for production. I know that knowledge and use of manual settings are critical for getting the best results, but I would be looking at using a camera in auto mode initially to give him positive reinforcement during the initial learning process, and then, over time, introduce the more complex manual features to fine tune the results. I have heard the JVC LS 300 is very capable in auto mode. (The JVC LS 300 and the Sony FS5 offer interchangeable lenses, any thoughts ?) Any thoughts on any of the cameras I have listed or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will be buying two cameras (since we will be traveling for our shoots, it makes sense to me to have a backup), a new computer and software for editing, and other equipment such as a tripod(s) monitor, etc, which will lead me to asking more questions. Plans are to sell DVD's in HD, BluRay, and UHD of his production(s), with him doing the shooting, editing, order filling, etc.

As we go along I will have many questions and I thank all of you in advance for any help you are willing to give. With him and his needs included, I have a full day now, but I am willing and determined to put inthe work needed to learn the things I need in order to make things understandable for him, and a success for the venture.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie (son)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello Michael and Mackenzie,

I hope everyone takes the time to read your post as it has impacted me (emotionally) like no other in recent times. Unfortunately, I cannot assist you (technically) but I will pray for your success as I eagerly await your first production release. Please be sure to keep us updated on your progress and let us know where (or how) we can purchase your first production release when available.

Good luck and God bless,

railroadartwork
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have no this level of experience you ask but for sure i would not ignore camera offers from https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products .
    Thumbs up and good luck - hope everything will be fine!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mackz1960 View Post
    Plans are to sell DVD's in HD, BluRay, and UHD of his production(s), with him doing the shooting, editing, order filling, etc.
    At this time UHD Blu-ray is an impractical choice for anyone other than major studios. Authoring requires very expensive pro software (Scenarist UHD or Indigo Ultra, for example), and so far, pressed discs rather than burned media. There is no indication of when (or if) this will change, nor have I heard of a UHD equivalent to AVCHD discs for consumer authoring and burning. Until that situation improves, UHD video would need to be distributed as files or via streaming.

4K/UHD on the consumer/prosumer side is still in its infancy. Unless you or your son are already very experienced at Blu-Ray authoring and working with HD video, I'd say it would be better to start with HD and work your way up to UHD/4K at a later date.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Aug 2016 at 13:21. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by railroadartwork View Post
    Hello Michael and Mackenzie,

I hope everyone takes the time to read your post as it has impacted me (emotionally) like no other in recent times. Unfortunately, I cannot assist you (technically) but I will pray for your success as I eagerly await your first production release. Please be sure to keep us updated on your progress and let us know where (or how) we can purchase your first production release when available.

Good luck and God bless,

railroadartwork

Railroadartwork,

Thank you for the reply and the kind words. We will absolutely keep everyone posted on our progress, and when our first production is completed.
    Your kind thoughts mean a lot to me as I tackle this challenging endeavor.

Thanks again,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Plans are to sell DVD's in HD, BluRay, and UHD of his production(s), with him doing the shooting, editing, order filling, etc.
    At this time UHD Blu-ray is an impractical choice for anyone other than major studios. Authoring requires very expensive pro software (Scenarist UHD or Indigo Ultra, for example), and so far, pressed discs rather than burned media. There is no indication of when (or if) this will change, nor have I heard of a UHD equivalent to AVCHD discs for consumer authoring and burning. Until that situation improves, UHD video would need to be distributed as files or via streaming.

4K/UHD on the consumer/prosumer side is still in its infancy. Unless you or your son are already very experienced at Blu-Ray authoring and working with HD video, I'd say it would be better to start with HD and work your way up to UHD/4K at a later date.
    Usually_quiet;

Thanks for the information, but I was under the impression that high end Apple editing software at least could, accomplish making Blu ray DVD's, though the process takes a lot of time. I do not know how it was done yet, but I have purchased Blu ray DVD's from a gentleman who used a Sony DVcam DSR 450 to film with. I am just learning, but I had assumed that a modern 4K/UHD camera and the newest software from Apple, Adobe, etc, would make the process easier. I definitely have lots to learn.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Usually_quiet;

Thanks for the information, but I was under the impression that high end Apple editing software at least could, accomplish making Blu ray DVD's, though the process takes a lot of time. I do not know how it was done yet, but I have purchased Blu ray DVD's from a gentleman who used a Sony DVcam DSR 450 to film with. I am just learning, but I had assumed that a modern 4K/UHD camera and the newest software from Apple, Adobe, etc, would make the process easier. I definitely have lots to learn.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Use "Blu-ray" or "Blu-ray disc" instead of "Blu-ray DVD". DVDs and Blu-ray discs are very different. There is also AVCHD, which can be authored, and burned on Blu-ray media or DVD media, but is different from both Blu-ray and DVD.

A Sony DVCAM DSR 450 shoots DV or DVCAM, which are standard definition video formats. The Blu-ray specification allows standard definition video as well as high-definition, although DV or DVCAM video would have to be encoded to Blu-ray-compatible MPEG-2 or H.264 before authoring.

FinalCut Pro X should allow creating DVD-compatible or Blu-ray-compatible video and audio somehow. Adobe Premiere CC has the ability to export DVD-compatible or Blu-ray-compatible video and audio. ...but someone would need Adobe Encore CS6, Toast Titanium Pro or some other program for authoring DVD or Blu-ray.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Aug 2016 at 16:16. Reason: Corrections regarding FCPro X. It can't author.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM

Usually_quiet;

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Use "Blu-ray" or "Blu-ray disc" instead of "Blu-ray DVD". DVDs and Blu-ray discs are very different. There is also AVCHD, which can be authored, and burned on Blu-ray media or DVD media, but is different from both Blu-ray and DVD.

A Sony DVCAM DSR 450 shoots DV or DVCAM, which are standard definition video formats. The Blu-ray specification allows standard definition video as well as high-definition, although DV or DVCAM video would have to be encoded to Blu-ray-compatible MPEG-2 or H.264 before authoring.

FinalCut Pro X should have the ability to export Blu-ray-compatible video and audio and can author Blu-ray discs with simple menus. Adobe Premiere CC has the ability to export Blu-ray-compatible video and audio but someone would need Adobe Encore CS6, Toast Titanium Pro or some other program for authoring Blu-ray.
    Usually_quiet,

Thanks for the great information ! Obviously, I have a lot to learn, but I will get there. Most of my initial effort has been focused per my original post on finding a suitable camera for my son to use. I have thought a little about the rest of project, but only a little. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the camera was the best place to start, and then I would take everything else step by step until finally, I would have a finished product. By all means, keep correcting me if I am making an error in terminology or process, and please give me the benefit of your wisdom when you deem it is needed. I am positive I will have many questions as we go forward.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet,

Thanks for the great information ! Obviously, I have a lot to learn, but I will get there. Most of my initial effort has been focused per my original post on finding a suitable camera for my son to use. I have thought a little about the rest of project, but only a little. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the camera was the best place to start, and then I would take everything else step by step until finally, I would have a finished product. By all means, keep correcting me if I am making an error in terminology or process, and please give me the benefit of your wisdom when you deem it is needed. I am positive I will have many questions as we go forward.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    I made a correction to my post above regarding FinalCut Pro X. Please be sure to read it. I know a little about Mac software, but not enough. VideoHelp has a forum for Mac/OS X questions.

[Edit]Figure out where you want to go, before buying anything. As I said 4K/UHD is very new as a consumer/prosumer format, even though it isn't completely new to Hollywood. Keep in mind that being an early UHD/4K adopter would add significantly to your challenges and expenses.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Aug 2016 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 4k is not bad target as:
    - always can be downconverted to HD and this process usually will provide higher quality than native HD signal flow
    - library is reusable in future even if for today there is no such demand for 4k source
    - 4k is high chance for 10 bit per component (+ HDR etc) as such higher quality than HD
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    4k is not bad target as:
    - always can be downconverted to HD and this process usually will provide higher quality than native HD signal flow
    - library is reusable in future even if for today there is no such demand for 4k source
    - 4k is high chance for 10 bit per component (+ HDR etc) as such higher quality than HD
    Pandy,

Thanks for commenting. When I began researching this, I found some of the information you have shared, and I came to the conclusion that buying a 4K camera was a way to "future proof" our task. I saw it as getting ahead of the curve. I read someplace, sorry I do not remember where, that it is estimated that by 2026, half the viewing screens in this country will be 4K capable.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Usually_quiet,

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    I made a correction to my post above regarding FinalCut Pro X. Please be sure to read it. I know a little about Mac software, but not enough. VideoHelp has a forum for Mac/OS X questions.

[Edit]Figure out where you want to go, before buying anything. As I said 4K/UHD is very new as a consumer/prosumer format, even though it isn't completely new to Hollywood. Keep in mind that being an early UHD/4K adopter would add significantly to your challenges and expenses.
    Usually_quiet,

Thanks again for your input. From what I understand, and from what Pandy said in his post, 4K can be downconverted to HD, which to my thinking means that a 4K camera can be made to work for today, and be ready for tomorrow . Having said that, until I learn a LOT more, I can only go by what I have read and the advice I am given here and elsewhere. I'm sure editing is not the easiest thing to do, but what is life without a few challenges.

Thanks,

Michael and Mackenzie
    Quote Quote