VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to use Sony Playstation Vue to replace (USA) cable, with an Amazon Fire Stick (or other device). This works fine with a TV but I also want to be able to record to a computer. Apparently I need to use a certain HDMI splitter to get around HDCP and then I could record with the Hauppauge HD PVR 2. But I already have the original HD PVR which does not have HDMI input, only component. Is there a cheap device (much cheaper than buying the new HD PVR) that will convert HDMI to component for this purpose? I see on Amazon and elsewhere many devices which claim to do this ranging from a $10 cable on up but it is not clear what will work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are converters out there, but I see one popular one comes with this warning:
    IMPORTANT! This adapter does NOT support HDCP, so this will not work in a home theater system and will not support playback of HDCP protected DVDs and Blu-ray Discs™ from your computer.
    Since HDMI is digital and component is analog, it requires a bit more than a simple cable. But there are converter boxes that sell for less that $10US, so I would probably just try one.

But others here may have better advice.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. HDFury -- not cheap. You might as well get an HDMI capture device and an HDCP stripper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDFury are the gold standard, but are expensive. To the point where I would consider getting the PVR2 and HDCP stripper as well.

Cheaper devices exist and may work, but it's likely a bit of a crap shoot in terms of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need 2 devices

1: Power hdmi splitter
    2: Hdmi to component device

All hooked up to the avermedia game hd unit
    Last edited by Bjs; 1st Aug 2016 at 17:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    You need 2 devices...
    Both links are for HDMI splitters.

Also, if you were to take a look at the forum rules, you would find that discussions about recording paid streaming services are specifically prohibited.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I bought a Portta PETHR coverter box from Amazon for $28, as some reviewers had succeeded in doing similar things. This does the job. I can plug it in to the Hauppauge HD PVR and record at apparently full resolution (720p). It does not require a splitter - the Fire or Roku stick can be plugged directly in (don't know if this is allowed under HDCP). The audio output is stereo - if you need 5.1 audio you may need a more complex setup.

Didn't know about the rules - this is just doing what the HD PVR 2 does for cable - how does that differ for streaming? The HDMI splitters would also seem to be "illegal". It would also work for anyone who wants to use one of these streaming devices (or any HDMI output) on an older TV without HDMI - or even to get an extra (component) input (I have a small TV which has one HDMI and one component input).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edowty View Post
    Didn't know about the rules - this is just doing what the HD PVR 2 does for cable - how does that differ for streaming? .
    The legal decisions which established the consumer's right to record TV were specifically about allowing us to watch at a convenient time. The ability to watch at a convenient time is built-in to streaming services, so recording for the purpose of time-shifting doesn't apply.

Also, paid streaming services frequently call their offerings "rentals", and fair use as defined here specifically excludes copying or recording rented material.

The rules forbidding discussions about certain topics were no doubt intended to keep entertainment industry layers at bay. I don't think it will do you any good to argue with the sites's owner on this.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Aug 2016 at 18:48. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  9. I intend to use either Sling TV or Playstation Vue to replace cable. I had tried Sling before and it (still) does not have DVR capability, so this is why I wanted to be able to do what the HD PVR (non-HDMI) does for cable, that is save for viewing later. But I found that Vue actually has DVR capability in cloud, so if I use that (most likely) I may not even need the HD PVR. As to what might actually be illegal in all this, I doubt if anyone can say.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edowty View Post
    I intend to use either Sling TV or Playstation Vue to replace cable. I had tried Sling before and it (still) does not have DVR capability, so this is why I wanted to be able to do what the HD PVR (non-HDMI) does for cable, that is save for viewing later. But I found that Vue actually has DVR capability in cloud, so if I use that (most likely) I may not even need the HD PVR. As to what might actually be illegal in all this, I doubt if anyone can say.
    SlingTV and Playstation Vue probably should be called IPTV services. Since programming is broadcast at specific times, time-shifting does apply.

VideoHelp's rules apply to paid streaming services such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, CBS All Access and others where all offerings are available to subscribers on demand, and usually described as rentals. When I saw mention of recording one of them, I posted a reminder about the site rules.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Aug 2016 at 11:03. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote