VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I am trying to find a video editing software that can convert normal video into black and white sketch and that can make that red, white and blue obama hope filter as well. If it can isolate the black and white and put color in the parts I want it would be perfect. Thanks for the help guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you point to an example of what you want? A YouTube video, perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Im trying to make a short film
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aviutl should be able to do it. Making it Black and White only leaves you with two color options. Black and White make great masks however for when you want to replace the colors....

I'm sure others will chime in with expensive alternatives that may or may not be more suitable for this task.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by andr3silva View Post
    red, white and blue obama hope filter
    I will fight the instinct to make about a hundred jokes about this ...

If you own a good photo editing program, like Photoshop, you can create all sorts of "cartoon" style video by using the effects in the photo editor to change one frame. You then save that as a preset. To edit the whole video, you export the video as an image sequence, and then use the batch capability in Photoshop to apply your preset to each image. The final step is to then reassemble the image sequence into a video.

This sounds complicated, but it is actually almost trivial. Pretty much any NLE can export an image sequence. You do this by simply choosing to render the video, but choosing "image sequence" as your output. You now have a folder containing thousands of individual images. Once you've edited one image and created the effect you want, you then find the "batch" capability in the image editing program and tell it to apply the saved preset to each and every image in the folder that contains the thousands of images. You press the batch button and wait until its finished. Finally, back in your NLE, you ask it to import an image sequence. This again is a one-click operation.

Thus, to do this involves three clicks, and the editing of exactly one image.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey, thanks for the help guys and for the patience

From what I understand you are telling me how I can make some kind of custom filter, but what I had in mind was something like a video of people at a coffee shop the whole video all black and white sketch and highlighting one person in (lets call it) Obama filter :P . Do you know any trick or tip or program that can help me out with doing that?
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you want all B&W, but then have one object (it could be a person) in color, that is usually done with a mask. If the object is moving, that is usually done with motion tracking. So, "mask" and "motion tracking" are the search terms you need to use. There is no single answer to your question, and there are lots of programs that do this sort of thing. However, it is often part of a fairly professional program like After Effects, which is one you might want to look at.
    Quote Quote