1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Like this for example:

also option to disable warning in forum user setting
    if somebody don't like it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    YES - YES - YES

Old threads drive me nuts and raise my blood pressure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suggested something just like that a couple years ago (in an old thread )...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Of course the warning not need on specific threads like on "User guides"
    and it can make disable on threads by html forum coding.

So what conclusion to admins?
    1) Not needed "old thread" warning
    2) Don't have time to make it possible
    3) Don't know how to make it and don't have budget to pay somebody else
    4) Other
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like old threads...
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK
    Finally got answer
    warning message not necessary
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bump....
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will see if I find some simple way of adding a warning. It shouldn't be that complex.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not simply close a thread that's been inactive for over a year? Someone can simply start a new thread instead of reviving one that's totally lost interest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Why not simply close a thread that's been inactive for over a year? Someone can simply start a new thread instead of reviving one that's totally lost interest.
    Nahhh . The old threads have good info in them and are very useful if you are researching a problem or how to do something.

Old threads are no good when people are post a reply today to a three year old problem and the OP is long gone.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I like old threads...
    So do I !

My only problem with them is finding again a particular one I vaguely recalled reading -- needed once more for reference -- but that I did not happen to bookmark. Sometimes the keyword searches work for that, but sometimes not.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find old postingss that have no solution because one was not available at the time, much more appreciated when someone DOES add a solution that is now available such as new software or utility. It beats looking through thread after thread with no answer and ultimately opening yet another thread for people to read. It seems to me, it's no wonder people just post instead of trying to find the wealth of information that might already be in 17 other threads.

Just another opinion...
    Last edited by Budman1; 24th Aug 2016 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Nahhh . The old threads have good info in them and are very useful if you are researching a problem or how to do something.

Old threads are no good when people are post a reply today to a three year old problem and the OP is long gone.
    I think by close, his meant lock thread
    you can see thread but cannot replay
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Like this for example:

I have now added an old thread warning. It warns if the last post is older than 2 years.

Test: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366383-Words-not-showing-properly-when-posting
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post

I think by close, his meant lock thread
    you can see thread but cannot replay
    Yes that is what I mean.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Like this for example:

I have now added an old thread warning. It warns if the last post is older than 2 years.

Test: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366383-Words-not-showing-properly-when-posting
    O.K. . . . but what Budman1 suggested in post #13 above does actually happen. I'm sure that I've done it -- come up with something much later that was not available at the time of a last posting -- and I have also certainly benefited from this by others who did likewise. "Reinventing the wheel" in newer threads can also be considered unnecessary clutter. An older thread can be just the right place for a fresh post.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Like this for example:

O.K. . . . but what Budman1 suggested in post #13 above does actually happen. I'm sure that I've done it -- come up with something much later that was not available at the time of a last posting -- and I have also certainly benefited from this by others who did likewise. "Reinventing the wheel" in newer threads can also be considered unnecessary clutter. An older thread can be just the right place for a fresh post.
    But you CAN reply if you just check the checkbox. It's not locked.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Yeah, we have heard this before from you. My response is, that this is a help forum, not Wikipedia. Write a guide if you feel a permanent reference on some subject is truly needed. There are enough new posts that need to be answered that looking for old dead threads to correct or update is not a good use of time.

If people can't find the answer they want or feel the information they found is obsolete they can always ask a question.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Baldrick why I cannot see warning message on this thread?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Baldrick why I cannot see warning message on this thread?
    It only checks the last post. I don't want warnings in threads like https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread
    Quote Quote  
  21. Too bad, this threads needed to move to new Software Support section
    with ignored "old thread script"

Now I see also User guides trigger as old thread
    Its not possible to selected sub threads ignored "old thread script"?
    or this to too much work?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's enough to check if it's a very long thread and then only check the last post date. For the rest check the thread start date.

And exclude the user guide section.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 27th Aug 2016 at 05:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok
    thank you
    yes _ thank you
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, thanks for making the effort. (I mean that sincerely.)

I hoped the old thread warning might deter grave diggers somewhat, but that has not occurred as far as I can tell. ...although on the bright side, the grave diggers are now inclined to write a preface to their post apologizing for posting in an ancient thread.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...maybe I could add a link to Create a new thread also.

Added Or Create a new thread instead: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345612-Freeware-to-compress-dvd9-to-dvd5?p=2457560#post2457560
    Last edited by Baldrick; 19th Oct 2016 at 04:06.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...maybe I could add a link to Create a new thread also.

Added Or Create a new thread instead: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345612-Freeware-to-compress-dvd9-to-dvd5?p=2457560#post2457560
    Thanks. I think it is worth trying. Maybe a few more people will reconsider posting in an old thread, but I'm sure that some won't take the hint.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question that I've had for some time about this subject... Most of the people who peruse this site for help use computers. We even have a little display icon we can see what we use for computers. While not everyone but some of us come across helpful information from time to time over long periods such as batch file routines and uses. I add them to a file containing all these tips and when my memory fails as to its location I only have to look for one file in 100 that contains 101 CLI uses.

This begs the question, would I be better to have created 101 files for these tips and then search 1000 for the right one? It seems like it would be better for searchers to search one thread for all the old and new input such as AVStoDVD Support Thread or Potplayer setup than to search hundreds of New threads trying to find exactly what they need only to give up and create the 1001 thread.

This is, or course only my opinion and the proponents of new threads make sense also so I am in no way trying to be rude or upsetting. I just thought computer users always tried to keep all their files (threads?) organized (topics) and minimized. I could be wrong of course.
    Quote Quote