VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    I have a question that I've had for some time about this subject... Most of the people who peruse this site for help use computers. We even have a little display icon we can see what we use for computers. While not everyone but some of us come across helpful information from time to time over long periods such as batch file routines and uses. I add them to a file containing all these tips and when my memory fails as to its location I only have to look for one file in 100 that contains 101 CLI uses.

This begs the question, would I be better to have created 101 files for these tips and then search 1000 for the right one? It seems like it would be better for searchers to search one thread for all the old and new input such as AVStoDVD Support Thread or Potplayer setup than to search hundreds of New threads trying to find exactly what they need only to give up and create the 1001 thread.

This is, or course only my opinion and the proponents of new threads make sense also so I am in no way trying to be rude or upsetting. I just thought computer users always tried to keep all their files (threads?) organized (topics) and minimized. I could be wrong of course.
    In no way does your idea work any better than searching through 1001 separate threads. Your tips are not ongoing conversations with many participants.

Ever try to read though one of the years-long, never-ending, 100 page+ threads at AVS forums looking for an answer? There are too many different conversations going on. Trying to follow the one that interests you is not easy. Imagine if there was only one thread here for VHS capture questions, or only one thread for posting Avisynth questions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Oct 2016 at 23:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    I have a question that I've had for some time about this subject... Most of the people who peruse this site for help use computers. We even have a little display icon we can see what we use for computers. While not everyone but some of us come across helpful information from time to time over long periods such as batch file routines and uses. I add them to a file containing all these tips and when my memory fails as to its location I only have to look for one file in 100 that contains 101 CLI uses.

This begs the question, would I be better to have created 101 files for these tips and then search 1000 for the right one? It seems like it would be better for searchers to search one thread for all the old and new input such as AVStoDVD Support Thread or Potplayer setup than to search hundreds of New threads trying to find exactly what they need only to give up and create the 1001 thread.

This is, or course only my opinion and the proponents of new threads make sense also so I am in no way trying to be rude or upsetting. I just thought computer users always tried to keep all their files (threads?) organized (topics) and minimized. I could be wrong of course.
    Thread can be set not display old thread warning such as AVStoDVD Support Thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread/page107
    just ask to set specific thread

users still have option to replay on old threads
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very good thought Unusually_Quiet. I have to agree to that whole heartedly. Looks like maybe there are pros and cons depending on what the thread is and how old it is and a lot of other reasons. I guess thats why it gets debated. Thanks for something I did not think of before.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I always try to ask myself, 'Where is the most appropriate (or useful) place to post this ?' Sometimes the answer is an old thread. There are some factors to consider, like 'How unique is this subject matter ?' and 'Does this logically add to or continue something that was discussed previously ?' If I do decide to start a new thread with that post, my inclination is to start it off with links citing relevant prior threads that serve to preface it -- for anyone sufficiently interested in reviewing that past discussion.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Imagine if there was only one thread here for VHS capture questions, or only one thread for posting Avisynth questions.
    The Japanese 2channel text board is the extreme example of this. They literally do cluster all the discussion about any topic into one thread (one is VHS/8mm capture). The threads are capped to 1000 posts. Then someone starts a new thread linking back to the most recent one as reference, and the cycle starts anew. Worse, the threads are only archived temporarily (officially, behind a paywall). Trying to find any past discussion would be horrendous even if I wasn't also hampered by Google Translate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2channel

I don't understand why proper forums never took off there.
    Quote Quote