VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,
    I've read various guides on capturing VHS video but wanted some advice on best practice methods to capture, edit and author/encode my video.

From what I understand, the best way to capture VHS is using VirtualDUB and Huffyuv for lossless interlaced capture with YUV 4:2:2 as the colour space (please correct me if I'm wrong)

After capturing I would like to edit my video to tweak the colours, trim, combine and crop the clips then upscale using RedGiant Instant 4k to 1080p in Adobe Premiere Pro while retaining the video in the lossless format

Finally, I would like to author a DVD with menus and export into x264 lossy as well as x264 lossless formats

The problem that I find most confusing is that apparently Adobe Premiere and most video editing software work with RGB and will convert the YUV2 video. Is this something I should be concerned about and will it reduce the quality of my video? Can I do the above in Premiere and retain the Huffyuv lossless quality?

When authoring the DVD and other formats, will the colours need to be converted again and how will that impact the overall quality?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, most A/D converters produce YCbCr (a.k.a. "YUV") output while most editing software operates in the more computing-oriented RGB space. There is a small loss converting from one to the other, but it pales in comparison to the artifacts inherent in VHS video. I wouldn't worry about it in your scenario.
    Quote Quote