VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    Please excuse but I don't know any other way to ask.. What is the best Blu-Ray Player under $120.00
    and best one under $200.00 that I can connect to a TV.. I would it to be able to Read CD-R and DVD-/+R Dics.
    but not a deal breaker.. Other than that I do not need any thing Special..

Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "CD-R and DVD-/+R Dics" means NOTHING......it's what is ON those discs and how they were created is what matters.
    A CD-R full of .flv files and text documents won't play in anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay Mr. Hech54 not sure I can answer that.. Let me try this, I have an CD-R that was created with my computer,
    not sure what type files are on it.. I guess I could have my computer look at it, stand by; .mp3 file that will play in my
    Pana EZ-485 and my Samsung BD player.. I was using an Sony BD player, it would not play it..
    The files on my DVD-R are .VOB, they also will play in my EZ-485 and my Samsung Blu-Ray player, but also
    would not play in the Sony I had..
    I did not want to buy a Blu-Ray that would not play these Discs, but as I said it is not a deal breaker..
    Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Modern Blu Ray players rarely play DATA CD discs with video files/audio(MP3) files on them.....just like your Sony BD player did not play them.
    DVD Video (with a VIDEO_TS folder and it's VOB files) is a standard DVD(homemade instead of store bought/factory pressed).

The point is....DVD-R, DVD+R and CD-R mean nothing in itself, it's the contents of the discs and how the disc was created.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I think the Sony had a problem, but not sure.. Anyway if I have a Disc with Data on it that does not
    play on DVD players or Blu-Ray players then that would be a non-issue.. Not sure I stated that correctly.. Back to
    my original question..

What do U think of the Pana BMP BDT270??
    What about the Sony BDPS 6500 (2015)??
    What about the Samsung BD-J7500?? (2015)

Although this is a little over my price range a used 4K Samsung UBD-K8500 for $278; is it worth the money??

Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you think that you need a $120 to $200+ player? All the players on your list have features that you have not said that you want, and you are paying more for those features. Do you own or soon plan to get a UHD TV? If that is not the case, why pay extra for 4K upscaling or playing UHD content? Do you own or soon plan to get a 3D TV? If not, why pay extra for a 3D player? Do you really need a web browser on the player? Does your TV support 24fps playback?

If you subscribe to streaming services, which ones? Nearly all Blu-ray players include apps for streaming services, but usually not all of them.

What kinds of content do you play from CDs? Most BD players play regular audio CDs and can display jpeg photos stored on CDs. Some will play non-DRM mp3 files and WMA files from CD, but not all do. You are unlikely to find a BluRay player that can play Super Audio CDs or VCDs.

Beyond that I think that you need to spell out the type of media files that you want to play, and the media that you intend to put them on. However, be aware that all Blu-ray players place unspecified limitations on the media files their specs say that they play, which will prevent some individual files from playing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jul 2016 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can find the technical specs for every Blu Ray player online. EVERY player has a list of what it is capable of playing.....somewhere on the internet or in the manuals that come with the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello usually_quiet,
    It is good to hear a familiar voice.. I think U misread my questions.. I asked about players from $0.00 to $120.00 and then up to $200 +..
    I think U may have asked me more questions than I can answer.. I have a very nice 3D 1080p TV now even though it is 3 years old..
    I do not know about the 24 fps.. I just like the idea of being able to upscale if I decide to get a TV that can handle it.. No more than I know
    I like what I have read about the UBD K8500; I guess its price will come down in a year or so and there will be more 4K media to watch..
    That is why I am here asking U questions..
    Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Hello usually_quiet,
    It is good to hear a familiar voice.. I think U misread my questions.. I asked about players from $0.00 to $120.00 and then up to $200 +..
    I think U may have asked me more questions than I can answer.. I have a very nice 3D 1080p TV now even though it is 3 years old..
    I do not know about the 24 fps.. I just like the idea of being able to upscale if I decide to get a TV that can handle it.. No more than I know
    I like what I have read about the UBD K8500; I guess its price will come down in a year or so and there will be more 4K media to watch..
    That is why I am here asking U questions..
    Thx. W.G.
    You need to make up your mind what you want: a good inexpensive model (under $120) that fills your present need for a 3D player or more expensive one ($120 to $200+) with features you won't use until you get a UHD TV.

Three of the players that you asked about (Pana BMP BDT270, Samsung BD-J7500/ZA, and Samsung UBD-K8500) appear to be in the second category.

If you don't plan to buy a UHD TV this year, by next year there are likely to be more (and better/cheaper) UHD Blu-ray players, assuming UHD Blu-ray doesn't fizzle. If it does fizzle, you'll be watching 4K content delivered via streaming. At $130 a streaming box like the Roku 4 is half the price of a UHD Blu-ray player.

You didn't answer my question about subscribing to streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.), so I'm assuming that you don't subscribe to any and the availability of a particular streaming service is of no importance to you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Jul 2016 at 12:45. Reason: added streaming services by name
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Yea, I have trouble making up my mind sometimes; hard to break a 60 year old indecisive habit..
    I own an Samsung UN60ES8000 TV, really nice.. I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime.. I have been
    thinking about getting the Amazon Firestick and/or a Roku Box..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Yea, I have trouble making up my mind sometimes; hard to break a 60 year old indecisive habit..
    I own an Samsung UN60ES8000 TV, really nice.. I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime.. I have been
    thinking about getting the Amazon Firestick and/or a Roku Box..
    Fewer Blu-ray players include an app for Amazon Prime than an app for Netflix. If app support for Amazon Prime and Netflix is a consideration, the Panasonic DMP-BDT270, Samsung BD-J7500 and Sony BDP S6500 have both.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    U asked about Streaming, so I told U what I have and may subscribe to later.. Of the two TV's 1 is wired to my Network or Chromecast
    and my Samsung 8000 TV is included in my Network Wifi.. My Samsung BD player is Wifi compatible but I don't use its Wifi option.. If I get
    a better BD player I would swap out the Samsung BD player.. I guess Steaming is not a key factor at this time..
    I feel as if I am forgetting something..
    Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I feel as if I am forgetting something..
    Thx. W.G.
    Are you planning to use the Blu-ray player in conjunction with an audio receiver and sound system? Should the Blu-ray player have a second HDMI out for the receiver or can the receiver pass-through 3D HDMI video? Does the Blu-ray player need to decode any Blu-ray audio codecs or is the receiver capable of decoding all of them itself?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi u_q,
    My Audio/Video setup in not setup at this time.. But I am planning on connecting the Blu-Ray player to my Onkyo TX-NR5008 A/V receiver,
    which was the Flagship Receiver at the time I bought it.. Not sure about Audio Codecs, I tried to look it up but could not find out anything..
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi u-q,
    Did I answer your Question(s)..
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi u-q,
    Did I answer your Question(s)..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You answered my questions, but there was no new information that would lead to an obvious choice among the Blu-ray players in your list. Your receiver doesn't need a Blu-ray player with any special features.

The Samsung BD-J7500/ZA has a second HDMI connection that is audio only. That might be nice for connecting it to your receiver, but it isn't essential because the receiver is 3D-capable.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi u-q,
    Although this is a little over my price range a used 4K Samsung UBD-K8500 for $278; is it worth the money??
    Do U like this model?? Or do U think I would be better served with a lesser model such as the Pana BMP BDT270..
    I could then wait until later to get an 4K player after the price drops if I should decide to do so.. That is where I
    am leaning.. I would need an 4K TV to utilize the K8500..
    Thx. W.G.
    P.S. I do not know why my previous Msg. posted twice; I clicked post and it thought about for a long time and posted it twice..
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi u-q,
    Do U like this model??
    It is not worth the money without a UHD TV. I neither like nor dislike it. It is just too expensive if all you are going to do is play Blu-ray disks, DVDs and CDs with it.

Or do U think I would be better served with a lesser model such as the Pana BMP BDT270..
    Yes, although there is nothing about the Panasonic BMP BDT270 which makes me think it is superior to the other Blu-ray players on your list.

I could then wait until later to get an 4K player after the price drops if I should decide to do so.. That is where I
    am leaning.. I would need an 4K TV to utilize the K8500..
    Thx. W.G.
    That is what I would do.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @ wg_rebel, you could go over on avsforum and see what they like over there.
    That forum is more slanted toward hardware tv equipment, such as bd players.
    Many on this forum may only would want a functional player and not necessarily a top pick.

That said, I am sure there are members here that could be knowledgeable about these players as well, perhaps they haven't seen this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    I just want to say THX. for all of the Replies & Suggestions & Help..
    I decided to wait on getting an 4K player.. I found a used Pana BMP BDT270
    for under $50.00.. It arrived, looks good and works great so far..
    Thx. again, W.G. Davis

P.S. I meant I am gng to wait before I spent $300.00 or more for an 4K Blu-Ray Player..
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 4th Aug 2016 at 01:29. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote