VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have 3 m4v files, A, B, C, all produced by Adobe Media Encoder, plus 1 AC3 files. They work fine in Encore. A, B and C together forms a single timeline.

Encore then produce 3 m2ts files when I do a Blu-ray folder build. Each of these m2ts file can be imported into Encore and does not require transcoding.

However, I can't find any tool that can join (without transcoding) these 3 m2ts into a single one the Encore will accept as a valid for Blu-ray (no transcoding).

I've also tried to deal with the m4v files directly but there appear to be less tools for that format.

Tools tried:

tsMuxer: corrupt the middle segment after the join (mosaic and jitters)

VideoRedo: transcode

SolveigMM: no transcode, but output requires transcoding in Encore

Is there any other tools that I can use to merge them?

Thanks
    Last edited by cheerful; 22nd Jul 2016 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    video redo cam handle m2ts files
    use the quick fix tool on all streams, then join them
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    video redo cam handle m2ts files
    use the quick fix tool on all streams, then join them
    Does anyone if it produces m2ts file that are accepted by Adobe Encore with transcoding?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video redo, will NOT transcode the streams
    they will be same streams, with any 'Glitches' fixed so the stream is clean
    there should be NO prolem with adobe, if it is accepting your current source streams

of course. idk where your m2ts come from
    mine come from my PVR
    and i dont use adobe encore
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does Encore accept your individual original files without requiring transcoding?

If so, just join them in the timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think he's saying number two file has glitches which Adobe tries to fix by transcoding but everything gets messed up
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I think he's saying number two file has glitches which Adobe tries to fix by transcoding but everything gets messed up
    Interesting. If only the middle file is messed up, Encore would only try to transcode the middle file in the scenario I suggested. It shouldn't affect the others.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried VideoRedo. Open a video, add to joiner. Add 3, then Save Joiner

It took a long time and here is the report

Video output frames: 154624
    Audio output frames: 161230
    Processing time (secs): 9668
    Processed frames/sec: 15.99
    Actual Video Bitrate: 20.69 Mbps
    PTS underflows: 160898
    Max PTS underflow (ms): 886412.00

It's clear that it re-encoding the video (and resulted in a different bitrate as well).

Do you know I can do it to make it not to re-encode?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Interesting. If only the middle file is messed up, Encore would only try to transcode the middle file in the scenario I suggested. It shouldn't affect the others.
    Sorry was doing the experiments.

3 m4v files, A, B, C, all produced by Adobe Media Encoder, plus 1 AC3 files. They work fine in Encore. A, B and C together forms a single timeline.

Encore then produce 3 m2ts files when I do a Blu-ray folder build. Each of these m2ts file can be imported into Encore and does not require transcoding.

However, I can't find any tool that can join (without transcoding) these 3 m2ts into a single one the Encore will accept as a valid m2ts (no transcoding).

I've also tried to deal with the m4v files directly but there appear to be less tools for that format.

Tools tried:

tsMuxer: corrupt the middle segment

VideoRedo: transcode

SolveigMM: no transcode, but output requires transcoding in Encore
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd there some reason these files must be joined before encore?
    I assume you want to author a Blu ray disc
    I have never authored Blu ray
    But on DVD three files can play as one continuous file even if they show in the main menu as separate selections
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I'd there some reason these files must be joined before encore?
    I assume you want to author a Blu ray disc
    I have never authored Blu ray
    But on DVD three files can play as one continuous file even if they show in the main menu as separate selections
    Yes, it's for BD. The middle segment has start/end in the middle of scene. During playback, there is a unacceptable pause.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would try ffmpeg concat demuxer first
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

If that doesn't work, I would try joining elementary streams with dos

Just because 3 separate files are BD compliant individually, doesn't mean they should be when joined. The reason there might be a buffer overflow or underflow. For example a bitrate spike in the beginning of the middle section, might deplete the local buffer level, causing a stutter. You should encode it as one BD compliant video in the first place if that was your goal

EDIT: ok , I see that it was Encore that produced the 3 m2ts streams for a single timeline. That should not have been a problem. But on the authored disc, it should work fine in a BD player - there is no reason to join them . If you already have the authored BD folder, why are you trying doing this ?
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 22nd Jul 2016 at 22:36.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I would try ffmpeg concat demuxer first
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

If that doesn't work, I would try joining elementary streams with dos

Just because 3 separate files are BD compliant individually, doesn't mean they should be when joined. The reason there might be a buffer overflow or underflow. For example a bitrate spike in the beginning of the middle section, might deplete the local buffer level, causing a stutter. You should encode it as one BD compliant video in the first place if that was your goal

EDIT: ok , I see that it was Encore that produced the 3 m2ts streams for a single timeline. That should not have been a problem. But on the authored disc, it should work fine in a BD player - there is no reason to join them . If you already have the authored BD folder, why are you trying doing this ?
    The Encore timeline has 3 m4v files on the video track. When it builds BD disc, it does not join them. During playback, the pause b/w the segments is unacceptable because it's in the middle of a scene. The source material is no longer available. I have been trying to merge them to avoid re-encoding as the picture appears to degrade quite a bit.

DOS copy does not work. The playback will contains some corrupted frame and Encore does not consider it valid for BD either.

Does ffmeg produce file that acceptable by Encore? I have never used it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by cheerful View Post

Does ffmeg produce file that acceptable by Encore? I have never used it.
    only if the files were compliant in the first place - because you're not re-encoding when using concat demuxer

But even then , it won't work for sure - because of the buffer issue I mentioned earlier.

How are you checking playback ? How are you seeing the pause ? Is this software, hardware player & physical BD - what is the setup ?

If it's on a physical BD and BD player - it sounds like encore goofed up. It's error checking and resiliency are not that great - it lets things pass through that it shouldn't (that fail on a BD verifier) . So the problem was probably already in your m4v files
    Quote Quote  
  15. ffmpg is able to join but the output is not compatible with Encore

Input #0, concat, from 'ffmpg_join.txt':
    Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 192 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High) (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
    [mpegts @ 0000000000b32c40] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
    Last message repeated 1 times
    Output #0, mpegts, to 'ffmpeg.m2ts':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf57.42.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
    Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
    Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
    [mpegts @ 0000000000b32c40] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 0. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code to set the timestamps properly
    [mpegts @ 0000000000b34400] PES packet size mismatch:58:50.44 bitrate=21590.8kbits/s speed=30.5x
    Last message repeated 2 times
    [mpegts @ 0000000000b34400] PES packet size mismatch:25:50.86 bitrate=21172.5kbits/s speed=31.6x
    frame=309296 fps=1898 q=-1.0 Lsize=13325817kB time=01:26:00.03 bitrate=21155.9kbits/s speed=31.7x
    video:11948440kB audio:123128kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 10.390110%
    Quote Quote  
  16. When you tried dos, did you to it on the m2ts or the demuxed video and elementary stream?

All authoring tools work best with elementary video (no container).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    When you tried dos, did you to it on the m2ts or the demuxed video and elementary stream?

All authoring tools work best with elementary video (no container).
    I tried m2ts and m4v, so with container.

Should I use tsMuxer to demux to extract the "element"?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    video redo test
    i just did a test with (3) mts files recorded at xmas, NOT hi-def 720*480, 3 (1) hr files
    it took 77 seconds to join and used fast frame copy and removed some 2000+ audio and video sync frames ?

i did a second test, hi-def test (3) mts files from the x-files special 1280*720, 224 seconds to join

I think you have major problems with your files, they are not identically sourced, not identical specs, or video redo would handle this quickly and easily
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sounds like your middle file is very different from the other two. A pause in playback from a single timeline is most likely due to a different framerate and/or raster dimension, or it is somehow damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    video redo test
    i just did a test with (3) mts files recorded at xmas, NOT hi-def 720*480, 3 (1) hr files
    it took 77 seconds to join and used fast frame copy and removed some 2000+ audio and video sync frames ?

i did a second test, hi-def test (3) mts files from the x-files special 1280*720, 224 seconds to join

I think you have major problems with your files, they are not identically sourced, not identical specs, or video redo would handle this quickly and easily
    The issue was the output format. If I choose ts instead of m2ts, it does the intelligent recode. I then re-mux it to m2ts. But Encore require transcoding (none of them require transcoding when imported individually). Is there any setting change I can make?
    Last edited by cheerful; 23rd Jul 2016 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Sounds like your middle file is very different from the other two. A pause in playback from a single timeline is most likely due to a different framerate and/or raster dimension, or it is somehow damaged.
    The middle segment is something I can change (short so transcoding is acceptable). This is the same as the other 2 pieces, as far as Adobe Media Encoding setting is concerned. If I compare them in MediaInfo, aside from bitrate, the only difference I can see is the middle segment has GOP while the other 2 do not.

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=29

Does GOP has an impact? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. All Br files have GOPS.

Are you using any of the BR presets in AME? See if that works before trying to customize it.
    Are you trimming your middle file? Try doing that in AME rather than Encore.

You have a lot of moving parts here, so apologies if I'm not keeping up.
    You've negatively affirmed that your frame rate and raster size match, but yo still haven't told us what they are.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    All Br files have GOPS.

Are you using any of the BR presets in AME? See if that works before trying to customize it.
    Are you trimming your middle file? Try doing that in AME rather than Encore.

You have a lot of moving parts here, so apologies if I'm not keeping up.
    You've negatively affirmed that your frame rate and raster size match, but yo still haven't told us what they are.
    Here is from MediaInfo. I don't want to re-encoding the long video (quality degradation is significant). I can re-encode the short one. There is no trimming. Just to join them. I think Adobe Encore is quite picky.

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Duration : 58mn 55s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 19.5 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 35.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method : Separated fields
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.314
    Stream size : 8.04 GiB (95%)
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Quote Quote  
  24. Since we're trying to compare 3 files, including partial information from only one isn't completely helpful.

There's nothing that looks particularly wrong with that file except it normally would have GOP information. The GOP you posted earlier is somewhat unusual, M-2, N=15 is more common for NTSC.

You're correct in saying Adobe Encore is quite picky. That's a good thing. -- It insists on meeting BR specs.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Here are the other 2

Video
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=29
    Duration : 25s 158ms
    Bit rate : 3 989 Kbps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.064
    Stream size : 12.0 MiB (91%)

Video
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=18
    Duration : 26mn 38s
    Bit rate : 18.5 Mbps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.298
    Stream size : 3.45 GiB (95%)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Encore
    But it's a good bet that unless all three videos match specs there is no way to avoid transcoding
    And these do not match
    Your choices are to individually transcode each video to an acceptable BR spec before joining
    Really I don't see any other choice,
    Maybe somebody with more Blu-ray expertise knows another way
    Quote Quote  
  27. Each individual file can be imported into Encore without any transcoding. So their spec are all correct. The problem I'm trying to solve is to create a single file with all 3 segments joined.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No!!
    You are miss understanding that situation
    Have you tried creating your Blu-ray file with each one by itself
    Just because encore accepts it for import does not mean it meets output specs
    You want to make one file
    All files have to have exactly matching specs GOP's audio, everything or they cannot be joined into one file
    There fore they all get transcoded into one file with one spec during encore output
    Miss matched files will not be joined
    You transcode before encore or encore will transcode them
    And you have already seen what happens when encore does it

Your mistake is thinking mis matched files can be joined together without being changed to match each other
    You might as well be trying to join 720p and 1080i
    The fact they are all 1080 is over shadowed buy the fact the other specs Do Not Match
    Last edited by theewizard; 23rd Jul 2016 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I can

a) create a single timeline with all 3 video, burn BD disc and play it in BD player
    b) create a BD disc for each segment, burn BD disc and play it in BD player

So each individual, or 3 combined in Encore timeline all match BD spec and can be burned and played successfully.

I am not quite sure of what you are mentioning. Do you mean video must have the same GOP settings? If MediaInfo is not showing it, how can I tell?

You also said audio (in GOP's audio). Does audio play a role here?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said all specs
    The audio spec of each segment should be the same ,sorry I forgot the comma separating GOP's and audio

And do you mean burn a data disc with video file?
    That is not the same as creating Blu-ray movie disc
    You are the one that said encore will not join them with out transcoding
    Is your time line video disc transcoded?
    Yes? Proves what I'm saying
    Or this a disc that play three files one after the other, Each one different specs
    Afaik a timeline play and a single joined movie file are different things
    Like I said i don't use encore
    You keep saying encore transcods and you don't want to trans code
    I'm saying afaik there is no way to avoid it
    It has to happen somewhere in the processes, your files don't match, they may fall within spec but they don't match ,

A video file with changing specs cannot be turned into a movie disc
    Separate files with different specs can exist on the disc
    But the movie will be one set of specs, variation of video bitrate within certain range is normal depending on picture data
    But Gop size and spec and some other data? Will be the same

Some body with more BR experience needs to step in here and help out
    Last edited by theewizard; 23rd Jul 2016 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote