VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

I have here Virtualdub version below:

---> https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/ ( ffmpeg input driver plugin )

But, it seem do not open vob / MEPG2 files. When I try to open such files, the message appears:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	37812

How to fix this? I know that VirtualDub-MPEG2 or VirtualDubMod can open it, but I wonder why "ffmpeg input driver plugin" could not open vob/mpeg2 files, because in theory it should be able to open various formats, like MP4 or flv content, among others.

Vob/Mpeg2 are not supported for "ffmpeg input driver plugin" ? Or we can get some "plug-in" or something to make it able to open such kind of format?

Thanks for the tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, dear all.

I could find some tips:

---> http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/MPEG2/index.html ( MPEG-2 plugin by fccHandler - for vob / MPEG2 content )

To open other formats ( example: AC-3, FLIC, FLV, Matroska, QuickTime, WMV ) we can use such plug-ins:

---> http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/index.html

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you sure you are opening it with ffmpeg driver? "MPEG Import Filter" does not sound like proper message.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's the error message you get when you use the 'All types' selection.
    You must use the drop down menu to get the ffmpeg choice.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	37818
    Quote Quote  
  5. @ shekh
    Are you sure you are opening it with ffmpeg driver? "MPEG Import Filter" does not sound like proper message.

Hi. How can I do that properly?

@ sambat

That's the error message you get when you use the 'All types' selection.
    You must use the drop down menu to get the ffmpeg choice.

Hello. I'm trying to open files from a complete dvd that I rip to my PC. My own dvd collection. Just for test purposes. All the video files are vob type. Not MPEG / MPG extension.

When I try drop down menu to get the ffmpeg choice the vob files do not appear.

The only option that show me the vob file is when I select " all types (*.*) "

Name:	Test 2.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	37828

And when I try to open this way, I get the message posted previously.

Yes, when I use MPEG-2 plugin by fccHandler I can open it. But I can't understand why only "ffmpeg input driver plugin" cannot do it directly.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  6. "All Types" lets VirtualDub automatically select a source filter. The error message you're getting is because VirtualDub decided to use the MPEG 1 source filter. Select the ffmpeg source filter instead.

But you'd be much better of using AviSynth to open your VOB files via DgIndex/Mpeg2Source().
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm using VirtualDub 1.10.4 with ffmpeg input driver 1.8.3.6 and it behaves differently. There's only one ffmpeg entry in the file type drop down list (ffmpeg supported files) and it displays and opens vob files fine.

Name:	ffmpeg input driver.gif
Views:	1193
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	37829

Edit: Ahhhhhhhhh....... Are you using this version of VirtualDub?
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/
    It comes with it's own ffmpeg plugin which appears as "ffmpeg select formats" and there's also "ffmpeg all formats" in the drop down list. They're what you have but neither appear to open vob files. When I add the ffmpeg input driver plugin I also have an "ffmpeg supported files" entry. That's the one you need for vob files. If it's not there I assume the ffmpeg input driver isn't compatible or it's conflicting. Both plugins seem to need their ffmpeg dlls in the plugins32/ffdlls folder and for me when I use the ffmpeg input driver 1.8.3.6 and it's dlls it works fine, but if I select either of the other ffmpeg options from the drop down list no file of any type is displayed for opening.

If you're not using VDFilterMod do you have more the one ffmpeg plugin installed (although I don't know of any others myself)?

Edit 2: I suspect you can get the two ffmpeg plugins to play together, at least if you're using the 32 bit version of VirtualDub.
    There's probably already a "plugins32" folder containing the original plugins, but you can create a folder called "plugins" and put the FFMpeg Input Driver and it's ffdlls folder in there (leave the original plugins in "plugins32"). Hopefully that way the two ffmpeg plugins won't mess with each other. The same principle probably applies to "plugins64" if you're using a 64 bit VirtualDub but I can't test it. I can't even test the theory using 32 bit VirtualDub properly, because the ffmpeg plugin that comes with VDFilterMod crashes for me no matter what type of file I try to open, but that's probably an XP thing.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Jul 2016 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. "ffmpeg (all formats)" should work.
    In fact this is my input driver (not virtualdubffmpeginputplugin), did you change horses?

ps.
    I made two "type" entries to help sorting some autodetection/priority madness.
    For example this allows to detect avi, mp4, mov as files supported by plugin but at the same time skip gif, bmp etc. and at last resort handle all the rest like sgi or whatever.
    Obviously vob is out of luck and handled somewhere inbetween.
    Last edited by shekh; 15th Jul 2016 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It comes with it's own ffmpeg plugin which appears as "ffmpeg select formats" and there's also "ffmpeg all formats" in the drop down list, neither of which appear to open vob files.
    I guess the confusion comes for file extensions. Extensions do not matter at all! When you manually select input type it will open vob.
    If you want to see it in extensions list you can edit cch_input.ini

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I suspect you can get the two ffmpeg plugins to play together, at least if you're using the 32 bit version of VirtualDub...
    Bad idea. There is little reason to use both and they can probably interfere, unless someone prove otherwise (which I have no passion to investigate).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello, dear all.

I install again all the files, just in case to avoid any mistakes.

And I try to open the vob file again.

Name:	Test 3.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	37830

This time I choose "FFMpeg Supported Files" instead " All Types (*.*) " option. It woks!

I just don't know why Virtualdub could not open it using " All Types (*.*) option ( or even any other chooses, but only "FFMpeg Supported Files" ), if ( ffmpeg input driver plugin ) is properly placed on Virtualdub's plugins32 folder.

Thanks for all help here. If you have more tips / advices will be nice to hear!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 15th Jul 2016 at 09:54.
    Quote Quote  
  11. "why Virtualdub could not open it using " All Types (*.*) option"

It tries to open it with "MPEG-1" decoder. Unfortunately none of the decoders is complete and they cannot talk to each other.
    And since "MPEG-1" is built-in you cannot completely disable it.

But I got some insight on the problem and maybe I can improve situation a little bit..
    Quote Quote  
  12. VirtualDub uses a "random" source filter when you leave it set to "All Types". I use the term random not because it literally picks a random filter but because it's not clear exactly which filter it will pick (though it picks the same one every time for a given container). It doesn't appear to simply pick the first one in the pulldown list that supports the container. Maybe it's the order they appear in the plugins folder (keep in mind that Windows sorts them when you view them in Explorer so the order you see in Explorer may not be the order they appear in the folder).

In any case the solution is simple. Use the pulldown to select the source filter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The FFMpeg Input Driver plugin has a priority option and it can also be disabled. Whether the priority setting works as intended I don't really know, but the option to disable it does.

Name:	ffmpeg input driver.gif
Views:	1086
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	37831
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    It comes with it's own ffmpeg plugin which appears as "ffmpeg select formats" and there's also "ffmpeg all formats" in the drop down list, neither of which appear to open vob files.
    I guess the confusion comes for file extensions. Extensions do not matter at all! When you manually select input type it will open vob.
    If you want to see it in extensions list you can edit cch_input.ini
    When I select ffmpeg files I can't see vob files at all. If I select "all files" I can, but that doesn't use ffmeg to open them.
    I just realised selecting "all files' then selecting the vob file to be opened (so it's listed in the "file name" field) the switching the file types to "ffmpeg select formats", then clicking "Open" works, but it's pretty counter-intuitive.

Adding vob to the list of extensions in the cch_input.ini file also seems to work, but It wouldn't have occurred to me to do that.

Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    I suspect you can get the two ffmpeg plugins to play together, at least if you're using the 32 bit version of VirtualDub...
    Bad idea. There is little reason to use both and they can probably interfere, unless someone prove otherwise (which I have no passion to investigate).
    Why would they interfere?
    Maybe it's a bad idea but it seemed to be working for me.... to a point.... your ffmpeg plugin is crashing VirtualDub every time i try to open a file. I swapped out the ffmpeg dlls for some older, XP-friendly versions though, so no doubt that's the cause. I'll try to make the current ffmpeg work on XP soon and try again.

I think someone posted this in your doom9 thread.
    Making last version of FFmpeg work under XP
    Quote Quote  
  15. @ hello_hello

Adding vob to the list of extensions in the cch_input.ini file also seems to work

Hi. How can I do that? I mean: manually, how to do this? Where is cch_input.ini? How to edit it?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    When I select ffmpeg files I can't see vob files at all.
    Type *.* in the filename field and hit Enter. All files will show up. Or *.VOB to see only VOB files. This works in all Windows file dialogs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    When I select ffmpeg files I can't see vob files at all. If I select "all files" I can, but that doesn't use ffmeg to open them.
    I just realised selecting "all files' then selecting the vob file to be opened (so it's listed in the "file name" field) the switching the file types to "ffmpeg select formats", then clicking "Open" works, but it's pretty counter-intuitive.
    I agree this looks wrong.

I suspect you can get the two ffmpeg plugins to play together, at least if you're using the 32 bit version of...

Why would they interfere?
    For example you open a file with my plugin, avcodec-57.dll stays in memory.
    Then you try to open another file with another plugin, and it is fooled to use avcodec-57.dll already in memory instead of reloading a new one (different version).
    This is just a guess however.

Dont swap just ffmpeg dlls, swap plugin too, it has binary compatibility only with certain dlls.
    Unfortunately the best way to deal with this and XP compatibility is to compile ffmpeg into plugin, but this is over my head atm.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ jagabo / Others

Type *.* in the filename field and hit Enter. All files will show up. Or *.VOB to see only VOB files. This works in all Windows file dialogs.

Hi. Sorry my total lack of knowledge about the subject, but I can't visualize it. Do you talk about Virtualdub itself, ffmpeg, Windows Explorer? Where is "filename field" to type *.*?

Can you please post a print screen of such action? I mean, the program / folder / method of it?

Maybe will help to see more clearly where / how / what to do properly.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  19. @devilcoelhodog

It is field labelled "File name" or "Nome" in the file open dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @ shekh

Hi. Do you talk about Virtualdub? Or other program, like ffmpeg?

Name:	Test 4.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	37832

My goal is to do this:

Adding vob to the list of extensions in the cch_input.ini file also seems to work

Finding cch_input.ini and Adding vob to the list of extensions.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. @devilcoelhodog

cch_input.ini is in plugins32 folder, same place as cch_input.vdf (input plugin).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    When I select ffmpeg files I can't see vob files at all.
    Ahhhhhhh......... I'd forgotten about that, although it's something I'd not considered initially given usually files show up if a program can open them and not if it can't. Forcing non-supported file types to appear (usually by selecting "All Types", but obviously that doesn't work here) tends to end in unpleasantness much of the time. I assumed if vob files didn't show up when "ffmpeg selected formats" was chosen, the plugin wasn't supposed to open them. Obviously I was wrong.

Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Finding cch_input.ini and Adding vob to the list of extensions.
    It's inside the plugins32 folder (VDFilterMod). Opening it in Notepad it looks like this for me (after I added vob to the list):

; initial options

[priority]
    default = -5
    select = 1

[file_mask]
    default = "*.mov;*.mp4;*.avi;*.vob"
    select = "*.mov;*.mp4;*.avi;*.vob"
    Maybe if it's not there for some reason you could create the ini file yourself.

If you type *.* or *.vob etc into the name field you showed in your screenshot (for opening a file with VD), and then hit enter, the "hidden" files (ie vob files) will show up as files you can then select to open, just as jagabo described. That's when "ffmpeg selected formats" is selected and you want to see other file types. Obviously when "All Types" is selected vob files will be visible anyway, but the ffmpeg plugin won't be used to open them.

Or if you add extensions to the cch_input.ini file they'll show up automatically when "ffmpeg selected formats" is selected.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Jul 2016 at 18:35.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Be careful, when you type *.* and hit enter the Files of Type will revert to All Types. The best thing to do is just select the file you want, then change Files of Type to the source filter you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
  24. version 12 of FilterMod pack solved some issues mentioned here:
    A big list of possible file extensions is already included in cch_input.ini (VD now displays truncated extension list).
    And cch_input.vdf is now single module (this heals both XP compatibility and dll conflicts).

However it still may be good idea to open vob with dedicated mpeg2 plugin. I dont support all the trouble of interlace, pulldown, intra refresh and other nasty mpeg stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hi, dear all.

I could find some tips:

---> http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/MPEG2/index.html ( MPEG-2 plugin by fccHandler - for vob / MPEG2 content )

To open other formats ( example: AC-3, FLIC, FLV, Matroska, QuickTime, WMV ) we can use such plug-ins:

---> http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/index.html

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Those links are 404/Not Found.

Trying to find the 64 bit version of his quicktime plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

Those links are 404/Not Found.

Trying to find the 64 bit version of his quicktime plugin.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130510133058/http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/index.html

BTW... possibly I will copy those .ZIPs to my GitHub folder...
    Quote Quote  
  27. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

BTW... possibly I will copy those .ZIPs to my GitHub folder...
    Unnecessary (for now, at least):

This page is a mirror for FccHandlers codecs and plugins for Virtualdub.
    It is here as an archive of his work after his website closed, and he vanished off the face of the net.
    I've also added a few installers for his codecs+LameMp3, to make them easier to install on x64 and systems with UAC.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/fcchandler/files/
    Quote Quote