VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I am VERY new and am a huge noob to the whole video encoding thing. We're trying to get our Library of approx. 200 DVD's into digital files that can then be broadcast via DNLA to our PS4. I have already used the program "Make MKV" to create all the MKV files for the movies, and I already use "Plex Media Server" to broadcast these movies via DNLA. However the PS4 refuses to open these MKV files, so I tried to convert the MKV files into MP4 with "FFmpeg" and that still didn't work. Now I’m stuck and don’t really know enough of what I’m doing to proceed. Here is a screenshot of what’s in one of the files not sure if that helps. Thanks for anyone's help. Also I am using Windows 10
    Last edited by Stejorin; 12th Jul 2016 at 00:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here are the file formats the ps4 will play - http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I see that it says it supports .MKV files, but they don't play on my system. Any more suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Stejorin View Post
    I see that it says it supports .MKV files, but they don't play on my system. Any more suggestions.
    You didn't read closely enough. It says nothing about MPEG-2 video in the MKV container. And none of them say anything about DTS audio. MKV with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2 video and AAC or AC3 audio should play fine. That will require reencoding at least the video.

If you want to use your DVDs without reencoding, then they should be packed in MPEG PS (I think MPG should be okay). And lose the DTS audio. Reencode it to AC3 or something else.

If you'd like to try MPG, then use ImagoMPEG-Muxer to create them. You'll have to demux first. And pick a DVD that doesn't have DTS audio. Also, MPEG2Cut2 can convert quickly to MPG. Or VOB2MPG.
    Last edited by manono; 12th Jul 2016 at 02:20.
    Quote Quote