VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello folks,

I have 2015 Subaru Forester, without navigation. I don't know the exact manufacturer of the head unit. According to the manual, it can play mp3 and wma files without any issues. The limitations like number of files and folders it can scan and play is quite large. I have a 32GB memory stick with approx 400 mp3+wma+flac files, through which it plays all the music.

Now the problem is, out of these 400 files, it can recognize and play only 255 files. It doesn't play wma files at all. I can't figure out why it can play only these files and skips the rest. These files have been encoded with various different methods, encoders and settings. How do I figure out the differences between the files it can play and the files it can't play?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Note - I do not have any issue playing these files on a Windows machine or an android phone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use MediaInfo (in Tree (text?) mode*) to analyze the files. Compare a known working file for each container with one that doesn't work (or compare the information for one that doesn't work with the information given for what the player allows in the manual).

(* Sorry, I'm on a system that doesn't have MediaInfo installed. Tree (text?) mode should be the view that offers the most information about a file, at a glance.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Its a tree mode.
    Thats the first thing I used but nothing came to me as off. Except the Replay gain and mp3 gain numbers, all seemed OK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indijay View Post
    Now the problem is, out of these 400 files, it can recognize and play only 255 files. It doesn't play wma files at all. I can't figure out why it can play only these files and skips the rest. These files have been encoded with various different methods, encoders and settings. How do I figure out the differences between the files it can play and the files it can't play?
    Except the Replay gain and mp3 gain numbers, all seemed OK.
    There still exist some software and firmware which doesn't deal very-well with certain metadata (i.e., the so-called "tags") —

— cover art, for example. Also, maybe the problematic files are really b0rked, and most desktop applications just play them correctly anyway.

I've already seen some MP3 files which make LAV Audio "freeze", but are played fine by MPlayer...

P.S.: Also, take a look at the sampling frequency... MP3 supports 48kHz and 32kHz as well...
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 9th Jul 2016 at 21:48. Reason: add P.S.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Don't waste your time and convert all audio files to one format that works - this is best approach - pragmatical - from quality loss perspective - you will not loose anything - car is far from best listening space - at best you may have 30 - 40dB there... Sorry life is brutal - be pragmatic, enjoy music not bits and headers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For MP3 you can open them with Mp3DirectCut and resave them as new files. That will eliminate some compatibility issues, but it'll take a while to do a large number of them. Or you can load MP3s into a foobar2000 playlist and it has functions for rebuilding mp3 streams, and also fixing VBR header problems. It can optimise MP4/M4A files.

It could be possible that the player relies on tags to read files, so files without tags might be ignored. You can open lots of different audio types with Mp3Tag and check the tags and it can create tags using the file name or rename files using the tags. It can also optimise MP4/M4a files.

There's a few different flavours of IDE3 tags (mainly used for MP3) and an MP3 can contain more than one type. IDE3 version 2.3 tags should be quite compatible, but IDE3 version 1 should be supported by everything. MP3Tag can change the type of tag or add/delete them.
    Mp3Gain saves it's ReplayGain info to APE tags for MP3s. It's about the only program that uses them but I've never known them to cause problems.

I know almost nothing about WMA files, but Mp3Tag can open and tag them too. Mp3Tag is quite versatile and can apply operations to batches of files, but make backup copies first in case it does something unexpected until you get to know it. They could contain differentr versions of WMA audio and the player mightn't support them all. MediaInfo or Mp3Tag should tell you what's inside.

As pandy said though.... for the car it might be easier to load the whole lot into a conversion program and convert them all to a known, good format.
    Quote Quote