VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys,

I'm trying to backup some Video8 tapes with a Sony CCD-SC7 (PAL) Hi8 camera connected via a good S-Video cable to a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC170. Whenever the camera is powered on for more than half an hour or so the image starts to get colour banding as it can be seen on the video attached. This happens with every tape I have.

This is not a very common camera. I have found a service manual for the CCD-SC5 which is part of the same range of models. I could try to mess around with the hardware but with this kind of analog stuff I have found out it's pretty hard.

Here is a self-explanatory video about the issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame1.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	37729
    https://youtu.be/_sgDV1EeBYs

Does anyone have a clue on where to start diagnosing the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is not banding, it can be lot of reasons, age (analog component drifting after warming up), some issues related to capture...
    Quote Quote  
  3. The "banding" issue doesn't appear on the video output when the tape is fast-forward.

Do you know where I can find a more technically oriented message board? I'm able to replace discrete components if necessary but I don't have the expertise in video camera hardware .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by grandenabo View Post
    The "banding" issue doesn't appear on the video output when the tape is fast-forward.

Do you know where I can find a more technically oriented message board? I'm able to replace discrete components if necessary but I don't have the expertise in video camera hardware .
    First you need to localize issue - if this is related to source side or to your capture... some video signal analyzer or at least oscilloscope with maybe FFT capabilities.
    Try to record on different tape something and play - DVD player can be used for this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi,

That kind of problem is not called banding but total loss of chroma sync. Seems like it is caused by leaky or dried-up capacitor(s) either in the Dazzle device, but more likely in the camera's chroma circuit, which must be older than the capture card. Trying another capture card with the camera tells you if it's the camera or capture card that's faulty.

If it looks like it's the camera, you can tap it gently on the side while its running and see if the colors get normal even for a second. Or point a blow-drier at the camera to get its internal circuit board temperature rise quickly. Sometimes sudden heating 'fixes' those bad capacitors. But don't overdo it.

BR,

Leob

Originally Posted by grandenabo View Post
    Hello guys,

I'm trying to backup some Video8 tapes with a Sony CCD-SC7 (PAL) Hi8 camera connected via a good S-Video cable to a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC170. Whenever the camera is powered on for more than half an hour or so the image starts to get colour banding as it can be seen on the video attached. This happens with every tape I have.

Does anyone have a clue on where to start diagnosing the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by grandenabo View Post
    Whenever the camera is powered on for more than half an hour or so the image starts to get colour banding as it can be seen on the video attached.
    There's your #1 clue. You have overheating component(s). They could be bad themselves, or they could be overheating because some other part has failed. Leo's right that it's most likely the camera and capacitors are a prime suspect. Get some electronics cold spray and try chilling different components. When the picture goes right, you know you are close to the problem.
    Quote Quote