VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread
  1. Me and my better half want to try as a hobby (fun family thing) of editing some videos so we can make them interesting with some basic affects, clipping from one video and adding to another. Adding some audio commentary etc.

    We are both going to buy an inexpensive camera and start taking videos of family (we used to with our phones) and then edit some of the videos to make them fun. As I said we want to start off as a hobby and have searched google and other sites for free (not trial free) software that will run on our laptops running win10.

    We have tried downloading some software and ended up deleting it because until we get it downloaded we don't realize it is only a short free trial. We don't want to go learning the software just to have to stop using it to go to another free trial software. We also dont want software that connects to a site where you edit the video on their site.

    Can anyone suggest a free editing software that would not be too difficult to learn in our spare time and have fun using?

    Thanks so much
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux would be one to try. Most editors with lots of advanced features are pay type. You might also DL Audacity for audio editing. Both programs are freeware.

    And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Texas
    Search PM
    Windows Movie Maker is still available as part of the Windows Essentials package. It might suit your purpose right now. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779

    Here is a guide for using it: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-use-windows-movie-maker/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    AviDemux would be one to try. Most editors with lots of advanced features are pay type. You might also DL Audacity for audio editing. Both programs are freeware.

    And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks. I downloaded Avi and will see if I can handle it. Again, thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Windows Movie Maker is still available as part of the Windows Essentials package. It might suit your purpose right now. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779

    Here is a guide for using it: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-use-windows-movie-maker/
    I read up about Movie Maker and it said it was not compatible with Win10. I could not find it on my laptop so gave up. Apparently though it was on it because when I went to download Essentionals it said it would update the existing version. Go figure.

    Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Win 10 should run any Windows native editor. It's the Universal Win 10 Apps that are not compatible.

    The cheapest "real" video editor is here http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio. Although the name is a little hokey, Sony Movie Studio is a rock solid editor made in the USA.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Jul 2016 at 19:41.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Win 10 should run any Windows native editor. It's the Universal Win 10 Apps that are not compatible.

    The cheapest "real" video editor is here http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio. Although the name is a little hokey, Sony Movie Studio is a rock solid editor made in the USA.
    Oh, okay. I misunderstood the article; just glanced at it quickly. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Check out "Quik", a free editor with free music. Combine Quik with AviDemux, and you've got a complete solution. Although Quik is a mobile app, you can use Google Drive to transfer the media around.

    Workflow? Do all your cuts and stills on your laptop, then use the phone app to render.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th Jul 2016 at 16:04.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads