VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its really hard for me to describe this, but it worked just fine a moment ago, suddenly all my damn programs wont deinterlace my newly purchased GTO DVD Collection for some odd reason.

QTGMC worked fine the first run, second run this issue appeared.
    I then tried Hybrid Video Converter, same issue.
    Then I tried Handbrake also the same issue.

What is going on here? Are there any files i must clear away?

(Check image)Click image for larger version

Name:	Interlace Issue.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	37708
    Quote Quote  
  2. I suspect DirectShowSource() is messing with the video before giving it to QTGMC. Use DgIndex/Mpeg2Source for DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    720x544 AVI. What are you doing to create this AVI from your DVD?

The video has been vertically resized before deinterlacing, corrupting the structure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    720x544 AVI.
    I missed that. Yes, it's probably a bad resize before DirectShowSource(). Again, DgIndex/Mpeg2Source() should be used with DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    720x544 AVI. What are you doing to create this AVI from your DVD?

The video has been vertically resized before deinterlacing, corrupting the structure.
    Its a direct rip from a PAL DVD I bought locally in Europe, could it be a bad resize from the PAL DVD?
    It worked just fine the first time I tried it, but the second time I tried it did not work which is weird, it also plays fine on my DVD/BD players
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another weird thing, at first I thought I had to do inverse telecine.
    FieldDeinterlace()
    Telecide()
    Decimate()
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Interlace test001648_Inverse-Telecine.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	37711

That seems to work, but I get these terrible ghosting images, is there any way to fix this or is there a way to actually reverse the bad up-size back to 480i I guess that is what they used since this might be an up-scaled Japanese edition since they are both region 2
    Quote Quote  
  7. Upload a short sample of your source, not re-encoded. A colorful, moderate speed panning shot would be best.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here I cut the opening from the main file with Free Video Editor which does lossless cutting.
    I noticed when I view both main file and the cut file in MediaInfo they are both listed as Progressive scan, have I been scammed with a poor DVD source maybe?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. A movie DVD would be full of IFO, BUP, and MPEG 2 video in VOB files. It would never include Xvid AVI files. Your AVI file contains video that was originally interlaced, it was incorrectly resized vertically corrupting the field structure, and XVID encoded progressive. You might be able to restore it partially with something like:

Code:
    AviSource("GTO_37_cut.avi") 
    Blur(0.0, 1.0) # blur the two fields together
    Sharpen(0.0, 0.7) # sharpen vertically
    SelectEvery(1,1,1) # duplicate frames 2x
    SRestore() # restore 25 fps frame rate, or maybe 23.976
    By the way, the title sequence is the worst place from which to sample. It is often very different from the body of the video because shots are sped up or slowed down to sync with the music.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A movie DVD would be full of IFO, BUP, and MPEG 2 video in VOB files. It would never include Xvid AVI files. Your AVI file contains video that was originally interlaced, it was incorrectly resized vertically corrupting the field structure, and XVID encoded progressive. You might be able to restore it partially with something like:

Code:
    AviSource("GTO_37_cut.avi") 
    Blur(0.0, 1.0) # blur the two fields together
    Sharpen(0.0, 0.7) # sharpen vertically
    SelectEvery(1,1,1) # duplicate frames 2x
    SRestore() # restore 25 fps frame rate, or maybe 23.976
    By the way, the title sequence is the worst place from which to sample. It is often very different from the body of the video because shots are sped up or slowed down to sync with the music.
    Aright thanks, it did not work properly sadly.
    No I ripped the DVD and converted it to xvid, but I looked in the DVD files the MPEG2 are prog as well.
    Its just a bad copy, I will return it and get a proper region 2 Japanese instead, thanks for your help.
    The sRestore() negates the issue but its still present sadly, a real shame.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr1TCfHlG7w
    This person has similar issues I have with mine, is it something AVISynth is capable of?
    I just want to make sure I try everything before I return the merchandise
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by SMGJohn View Post
    I ripped the DVD and converted it to xvid
    No DVD would have a frame size of 720x540. A PAL DVD would be 720x576, an NTSC DVD would be 720x480. So your resizing may have caused the problem. Use DgIndex to demux a segment (again, including a panning shot from the body of the video would be best) and upload the resulting M2V file here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SMGJohn View Post
    Its just a bad copy...
    Maybe, maybe not. Just provide an untouched sample, as requested.
    Originally Posted by SMGJohn View Post
    This person has similar issues I have with mine, is it something AVISynth is capable of?
    Capable of what? Of fixing? AviSynth is a helluva lot better at this sort of thing than Vegas will ever be.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to the store and returned it, I got a proper release after that, however its American release for Europe so its 480i29 and not 576i25 as apparently all of these are unofficial up-scales according to some guy who work for a publisher, this one is among the unofficial ones apparently that I bought scaled at 540p for some odd reasons.

I re-applied the script and it all works really well now.

BEFORE

Name:	Interlace test001268_Before.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	37724

AFTER

Name:	Interlace test001268_After.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	37722

AFTER2

Name:	Interlace test001268_After2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	37721

AFTER3

Name:	Interlace test001268_After3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	37723

Thanks for the help guys, in the end it was just a bad copy and I got scammed, all the internal files looked just like a DVD which made me trust it in the first place, it had the menus and all but the quality compared to the proper 480i29 release.

Here is the script I used for anyone who wants to make their anime DVD's a bit nicer
    FFVideoSource("FILE_NAME.mpg").ConvertToYV12()
    AssumeTFF() #Force Top Field First
    QTGMC(Preset="Slow") #Deinterlacing
    SelectEven() #Halve Framerate

daa().daa().daa() #Aliasing
    Deblock(quant=25) #Deblocking
    DeRainbow(10) #Remove colour fringe
    Checkmate(24) #Colour Noise Removal
    gradfun2dbmod(thr=3,str=0,mask=false) #Banding Reduction
    #TTempSmooth() #Very Light Noise Reduction
    Dfttest(sigma=16) #Light Noise Reduction
    LSFmod(strength=115) #Sharpening
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  15. The may have been nothing wrong with the original disc. It could not have had a frame size of 720x540 -- that was a problem you introduced. And probably the bad scaling too.

Your script is probably not appropriate for the new disc. It's likely the video is really 23.976 fps with hard pulldown -- where TFM().TDecimate() would be more appropriate. If so, QTGMC().SelecteEven() will give you a duplicate frame every 5th frame, resulting in jerky panning shots.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The may have been nothing wrong with the original disc. It could not have had a frame size of 720x540 -- that was a problem you introduced. And probably the bad scaling too.

Your script is probably not appropriate for the new disc. It's likely the video is really 23.976 fps with hard pulldown -- where TFM().TDecimate() would be more appropriate. If so, QTGMC().SelecteEven() will give you a duplicate frame every 5th frame, resulting in jerky panning shots.
    No he checked it at the store, its really 540i29 but its been returned now, to begin with the publisher was unknown on the DVD cover and neither could he find them if he searched, he was the one who told me that all 576i25 DVD's of GTO were upscales of 480i29 masters so it made no difference if I bought mine PAL or NTSC, I only needed a region free player.

Sorry for wasting your time on this, I should have realised that 720x540 DVD's are fakes. Albeit I have mastered DVD's in weird resolutions before and they worked just fine on DVD players
    Quote Quote