Its really hard for me to describe this, but it worked just fine a moment ago, suddenly all my damn programs wont deinterlace my newly purchased GTO DVD Collection for some odd reason.
QTGMC worked fine the first run, second run this issue appeared.
I then tried Hybrid Video Converter, same issue.
Then I tried Handbrake also the same issue.
What is going on here? Are there any files i must clear away?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
I suspect DirectShowSource() is messing with the video before giving it to QTGMC. Use DgIndex/Mpeg2Source for DVDs.
720x544 AVI. What are you doing to create this AVI from your DVD?
The video has been vertically resized before deinterlacing, corrupting the structure.
Another weird thing, at first I thought I had to do inverse telecine.
That seems to work, but I get these terrible ghosting images, is there any way to fix this or is there a way to actually reverse the bad up-size back to 480i I guess that is what they used since this might be an up-scaled Japanese edition since they are both region 2
Upload a short sample of your source, not re-encoded. A colorful, moderate speed panning shot would be best.
A movie DVD would be full of IFO, BUP, and MPEG 2 video in VOB files. It would never include Xvid AVI files. Your AVI file contains video that was originally interlaced, it was incorrectly resized vertically corrupting the field structure, and XVID encoded progressive. You might be able to restore it partially with something like:
AviSource("GTO_37_cut.avi") Blur(0.0, 1.0) # blur the two fields together Sharpen(0.0, 0.7) # sharpen vertically SelectEvery(1,1,1) # duplicate frames 2x SRestore() # restore 25 fps frame rate, or maybe 23.976
No I ripped the DVD and converted it to xvid, but I looked in the DVD files the MPEG2 are prog as well.
Its just a bad copy, I will return it and get a proper region 2 Japanese instead, thanks for your help.
The sRestore() negates the issue but its still present sadly, a real shame.
DgIndex to demux a segment (again, including a panning shot from the body of the video would be best) and upload the resulting M2V file here.
I went to the store and returned it, I got a proper release after that, however its American release for Europe so its 480i29 and not 576i25 as apparently all of these are unofficial up-scales according to some guy who work for a publisher, this one is among the unofficial ones apparently that I bought scaled at 540p for some odd reasons.
I re-applied the script and it all works really well now.
Thanks for the help guys, in the end it was just a bad copy and I got scammed, all the internal files looked just like a DVD which made me trust it in the first place, it had the menus and all but the quality compared to the proper 480i29 release.
Here is the script I used for anyone who wants to make their anime DVD's a bit nicer
AssumeTFF() #Force Top Field First
SelectEven() #Halve Framerate
DeRainbow(10) #Remove colour fringe
Checkmate(24) #Colour Noise Removal
gradfun2dbmod(thr=3,str=0,mask=false) #Banding Reduction
#TTempSmooth() #Very Light Noise Reduction
Dfttest(sigma=16) #Light Noise Reduction
The may have been nothing wrong with the original disc. It could not have had a frame size of 720x540 -- that was a problem you introduced. And probably the bad scaling too.
Your script is probably not appropriate for the new disc. It's likely the video is really 23.976 fps with hard pulldown -- where TFM().TDecimate() would be more appropriate. If so, QTGMC().SelecteEven() will give you a duplicate frame every 5th frame, resulting in jerky panning shots.
Sorry for wasting your time on this, I should have realised that 720x540 DVD's are fakes. Albeit I have mastered DVD's in weird resolutions before and they worked just fine on DVD players