VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    We are being asked by a digital platform (Amazon) to provide English closed captions (which include dialogue and sound effects) on native spanish language films. As opposed to creating JUST an english subtitle file (without the sound effects) we would like to create a single file that would contain translated dialogue + sound effects (i.e. closed caption file) and code the source file in such a way that the sound effects could be easily removed to create the subtitle file and/or left in to create the closed caption file.

Analogous to a layered Photoshop file that you can save depending on the need.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. What you asking how to create subtitles?
    You can create subtitles in Subtitle Edit
    sound effects for hearing impaired
    usual type in parentheses, like this (SINGING) (MUSIC STOPS)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    What you asking how to create subtitles?
    You can create subtitles in Subtitle Edit
    sound effects for hearing impaired
    usual type in parentheses, like this (SINGING) (MUSIC STOPS)
    N. American closed captions are provided using a different technology than what is used for subtitles. Closed captions are stored in the video's the GOP user data while subtitles are normally provided in their own separate stream. At least that is the way it works for DVD and Blu-Ray. It can be true for streaming video as well, but not always.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few professional closed captioning programs using proprietary file formats (i.e. Scenarist Closed Caption (SCC)) as well as a few different captioning/subtitle file formats used on the web. ...but since I'm a hobbyist not a pro, I'm not familiar enough with these file types to know if any of them provide a method for marking sound effects for automated removal. However, if sound effects are always enclosed in parentheses or square brackets, search and remove might not be too difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are a few professional closed captioning programs using proprietary file formats (i.e. Scenarist Closed Caption (SCC)) as well as a few different captioning/subtitle file formats used on the web. ...but since I'm a hobbyist not a pro. I'm not familiar enough with these file types to know if any of them provide a method for marking sound effects for automated removal. However, if sound effects are always enclosed in parentheses or square brackets, search and remove might not be too difficult.
    That's what we are trying to do is NOT being forced to go through each file and search and removing all parenthesis or brackets that are calling out the closed caption sound effects etc. Trying to find that software that will allow us to create a source file containing both the data for subtitles and additional data for closed captions and automatically strip out the extra closed caption data. My example or analogy was a source photoshop file that you could hide or display layers.

If anyone knows a solution, let me know.

thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just create 2 version subtiltes in one video
    than can be selected by user
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Just came across this answer on Doom9. This is what I was looking for.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166185
    "But you might want the more advanced tool in "Tools" -> "Remove text for hearing impaired""
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
    Thanks. Just came across this answer on Doom9. This is what I was looking for.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166185
    "But you might want the more advanced tool in "Tools" -> "Remove text for hearing impaired""
    This is not what you asked for. You asked for a way of marking sound effects.

This is automated search and remove, which will remove for text for the hearing impaired based on the presence of parentheses or maybe square brackets. Lots of text editors allow using wildcards. Also, Subtitle Edit was suggested to you in the first reply.
    Quote Quote