VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to convert a video I recorded to 720x4??. But I'm wondering what resolution I should record in: 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

Does one provide better quality if I downscale to 720x4?? assuming the end file size will be the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you recording and with what?

It's usually best to have the highest resolution possible first and then downscale from that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you mean you've recorded it on a DVR and are going to play it back and capture it on your computer? Best would probably be the same as the resolution it's recorded in the DVR. If it's 1080i you'll need to deinterlace or IVTC and that makes it a little harder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    What are you recording and with what?

It's usually best to have the highest resolution possible first and then downscale from that.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you really mean 720x4 (four pixels in height) ? Just curious why / what scenario ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you mean you've recorded it on a DVR and are going to play it back and capture it on your computer? Best would probably be the same as the resolution it's recorded in the DVR. If it's 1080i you'll need to deinterlace or IVTC and that makes it a little harder.
    Yes, I'm recording from an Elgato HD60 Pro. I believe you have an Elgato as well? I tried recording in the Elgato capture software and compared it to some other rips people have made.. my videos seems to lack details (raw recording) and has a bit of blur. Do you think using OBS Studio will be better quality?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you really mean 720x4 (four pixels in height) ? Just curious why / what scenario ?
    No I mean like ex. 720x464 etc..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ChibiSqueeze View Post
    compared it to some other rips people have made.. my videos seems to lack details (raw recording) and has a bit of blur.
    That could be any number of things. Over compressed video from your cable/sat provider. Maybe your provider is transmitting upscaled SD, not true HD. Poor deinterlacing by the PVR. Poor deinterlacing during playback. You should post a sample that shows the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely capture in the highest res possible before downscaling.

As for what pixel height for 720p wide, if the video is 16:9 then 720/(16/9) ~= 404.

But one of the best bits of advice I ever read is that you should downsize to dimensions that are mod 16, ie. evenly divisible by 16.Video encoding and decoding is basically matrix processing and doing this makes the video encode and decode better. So I actually use 720x400 for this sort of thing. Sometimes the encoder presets handle this eg.in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote