VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Autorun doesn't work and I've tried several solutions (in control panel or registry) I found online and none of them worked. There's no problem installing software. I also wrote to a CD-R and a DVD-R without errors. The computer is about 10 months old and autorun hasn't worked in a long time. Everything else works fine. I have Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not near enough info...

Autorun of WHAT? or do you mean AutoPlay? There IS a difference. Autorun is a designed & pre-specified program execution. Autorun requires it's being allowed in the registry both as a systemic feature and as a per-drive feature. It also requires a properly formatted & syntaxed "autorun.inf" file in the root of the disc.

Autoplay is an associative action (do X when disc contains files of Y type...).

WHY are you wanting this feature to work? AutoRUN is an exploitable/vulnerable feature, so use at your own risk. AutoPLAY usually isn't.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I always disable both (autorun and autoplay).
    Because a personal computer is not a standalone audio/video player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Not near enough info...

Autorun of WHAT? or do you mean AutoPlay? There IS a difference. Autorun is a designed & pre-specified program execution. Autorun requires it's being allowed in the registry both as a systemic feature and as a per-drive feature. It also requires a properly formatted & syntaxed "autorun.inf" file in the root of the disc.

Autoplay is an associative action (do X when disc contains files of Y type...).

WHY are you wanting this feature to work? AutoRUN is an exploitable/vulnerable feature, so use at your own risk. AutoPLAY usually isn't.

Scott
    OK, I'll rephrase. When I put a store-bought music CD in the drive it doesn't play automatically. When I put a store-bought software DVD in the drive it doesn't run automatically. That's all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Go into control panel/autoplay and set your preferences there for cd/dvd for what app you want to open them with.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Go into control panel/autoplay and set your preferences there for cd/dvd for what app you want to open them with.
    Tried it. DIdn't help. I set audio CDs to load automatically with VLC and then Media Player, and software to "Install or run program from your media". Nothing happens when I test it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I always disable both (autorun and autoplay).
    Because a personal computer is not a standalone audio/video player.
    So?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Locutus0985 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Tried it. DIdn't help. I set audio CDs to load automatically with VLC and then Media Player, and software to "Install or run program from your media". Nothing happens when I test it.
    Apparently there is a registry value pertaining to autorun as well, and it has a higher priority than the Control Panel settings. See http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable-nodrivetypeautorun.htm
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Registry values are added by the control panel settings when set by the autoplay,it's that sometimes the registry values get borked and need to be readded manually in the registry.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Registry values are added by the control panel settings when set by the autoplay,it's that sometimes the registry values get borked and need to be readded manually in the registry.
    The link in my post above says something different:

By choosing the Take no action option the AutoRun functionality will be disabled in Windows. When you insert a disc in the drive nothing will happen. By choosing Install or run program AutoRun will work again. But you should be aware of that the NoDriveTypeAutoRun subkey value in registry has higher priority than the setting in the Control Panel, so if AutoRun for a drive is disabled via NoDriveTypeAutoRun then you can not enable it by using the Control Panel. You can only enable it by changing the NoDriveTypeAutoRun subkey value in registry.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Locutus0985 View Post
    Apparently there is a registry value pertaining to autorun as well, and it has a higher priority than the Control Panel settings. See http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable-nodrivetypeautorun.htm
    That did it. Nice one. Thanks.
    Quote Quote