VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I uploaded a video file to google drive. I generated a link to send it to a user, so that he can download this video file.

When the user clicks on that link, he is presented with 2 versions of the video file:
    - one is the original video file, that the user can download if he clicks on the "download" button;
    - and a second one, that is not the original, but is a copy of the original, which has lower quality than the original, and can be played back online in a html5 video player (the user clicks on the "play" button, the playback starts immediately; playback doesn't start after the file downloaded completely).

The same thing happens with Dropbox.

Question 1: In Google Drive, is it possible to disable the lower quality copy of the video, so that the user will be presented with only the original version of the video file ? If yes, then how ?

Question 2: Same as question 1, but for Dropbox.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't checked recently if they have settings in the user panel, but one way would be to archive it (e.g. rar, zip, tar), perhaps even split archive and/or password should prevent generation of the low quality preview. But then the recipient has to know about how to handle archive formats
    Quote Quote  
  3. The solution to archive the video file, works.

I tested with .zip, without password, without split. In both Google Drive and Dropbox, no preview was generated for the video file inside the zip archive.

User has to extract the video file from the zip archive, but at least he doesn't need to install anything (which is why I chose zip instead of rar, 7zip, etc). And I would have used an archive anyway in cases where I need to send more than one file, so that the user can download them once.
    Last edited by codemaster; 29th Jun 2016 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote