VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like Freemake video convertor, but it really bloats my file size. It defaults to 3 times the size of a typical MKV file and only allows to decrease to 25% larger than the original file size. Changing the output format barely alters the file size options. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File size is largely affected by resolution and bitrate, and to some extent audio type. If you want more control, use a different/better tool.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what format are you converting too ?
    what is the codec and bit rate and resolution of the MKV

going from h264 to mpeg2 dvd or AVI xvdi / dvx will greatly increase file size

MKV avi etc are 'wrappers' that hold the video and audio together plus other info

the codec and the resolution and bit rate are the big factors in file size

EXAMPLE a video encoded with h264 at 1200kb MIGHT NEED 2400kb mpeg2.. to maintain the same file video quality
    that means a converted file 2x the size of the original
    Last edited by theewizard; 29th Jun 2016 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These programs designed for the average person tend to restrict you, as the average person does not know what what to do. If you don't like being restricted I would suggest Handbrake or Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote