VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please be gentle with me.
    I am a high tech reject who struggles with anything more complex than 'reply' on email even......I am getting into making videos, short clips, not made up stories with people, but product stuff really. It is an extension from my photography that I am having to get to grips with. Up to now I have been using a compact to shoot at the moment, but as I do stills as well and this has to be as well as, not instead of. I have probably made a mistake - too bad, I will have to live with it. I have bought a D4s, so I can do stills and video in the same kit - often I am fighting with other journos and having to get what I can in a media scrum. I am also limited with how much kit I can take - so it isn't ever going to be up to your film making standards, but any help on how to use the DSLR for video and ideas greatfully received.

I am thinking of getting a Came TV 3-axis gimbal to help iron out bumps, for shooting from one moving boat to another, jumping over waves whilst not holding on! So it isn't all plain sailing.

I look forward to progressing my video clip production with your help - if someone tells me how to share video clips on here I am happy to be ridiculed and pulled up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lensflare, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. You asked: "if someone tells me how to share video clips on here I am happy to be ridiculed and pulled up."

I suggest you post one of your videos on youtube then give us the link.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Redwudz: I am sorry, my writing incorporated both an introduction and my level of incompetence, Perhaps I should have made two seperate topics. Please accept my apologies.

Treetops: I shall try to load something to You Tube - that is a completely new aspect for me. Unlike the young generation I do not watch You tube or know how to work it. It sounds as though that is another aspect I need to address. Are there any hints or tips you could provide to help me avoid pitfalls with it please?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lots of tutorials on how to upload your video. Go to YouTube.com and input "How to upload to YouTube".
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, it sounds like you are a professional if you own a D4s and from other details in your OP. As you probably know, video using a DSLR is far from ideal. But you are on the right track by investing in a gimbal. But be aware of some of the limitations in using the D4s for video. First, it is limited to about 30 minutes of recording assuming battery life doesn't get in the way. Second, it only records in HD at a maximum frame rate of 60 fps. Third, it records to a highly compressed non-pro codec i.e. MOV or AVCHD that is likely in 8-bit, 4:2:0 colorspace.

Now, you admitted you are new to video, so maybe some of what I said sounds like martian. Let me see if I can put this in photog terms. If a pro level video camera only offers HD recording into an 8-bit delivery format codec, that is analogous to a journo who uses a camera that only records 8 MP jpegs and no RAW. All the pros grade their footage these days. So you are going to very quickly want at a minimum 4K and 10 bits in a ProRes HQ or similar pro codec format.

Now the D4s has an HDMI-out. So you should be able to get at least 10 bits, 4:2:2, and ProRes HQ with an Atomos Ninja 2 assuming the HDMI-out is a clean signal. In fact the Atomos Ninja 2 was practically invented for DSLR's. But let's face it. HD as an acquisition format is quickly becoming obsolete. And if you really want to compete in the video space, I would think 4K is the minimum entry point right now. For half the price of a D4s body, I can get a Panny GH4 MFT with great glass and start shooting fantastic 4K video tomorrow. And the rumor is that the GH5 later this year will offer 6K video. While at the same time, the Sony A7r II lowlight performance is almost single-handedly redefining video as we know it. But then neither of those cameras have global shutter, and you or your peers might shudder at any hint of jello.

So as you can see, getting an answer to your questions is not easy. I am not sure how you landed on this forum as a place to ask about video. But I would recommend searching the web for reviews and talking with your peers before taking the advice you might get here. This forum is mostly populated by people who rip movies as a hobby versus those who generate their own content.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Lots of tutorials on how to upload your video. Go to YouTube.com and input "How to upload to YouTube".
    Not done it yet - I have done Vimeo though, but it needs a password to view each one.....and that is how my videos will be done.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    OK, it sounds like you are a professional if you own a D4s YESand from other details in your OP. As you probably know, video using a DSLR is far from ideal. NO, which is why I want to have ONE means of doing both jobs at the same time. Currently I am selling videos quite happily using a handheld compact camera.But you are on the right track by investing in a gimbal. But be aware of some of the limitations in using the D4s for video. First, it is limited to about 30 minutes of recording Way more than I need - currently about 10 -15 minutes is sufficint to capture what I needassuming battery life doesn't get in the way. Second, it only records in HD at a maximum frame rate of 60 fps. I have been advised to use 30fps setting Third, it records to a highly compressed non-pro codec i.e. MOV or AVCHD that is likely in 8-bit, 4:2:0 colorspace.
    Que? It is what it is...
    Now, you admitted you are new to video, totally. I don't even go to the cinema... so maybe some of what I said sounds like martian. All of it! Let me see if I can put this in photog terms. If a pro level video camera only offers HD recording into an 8-bit delivery format codec, that is analogous to a journo who uses a camera that only records 8 MP jpegs Bigger than any of the clients I supply use at the moment...D3 jpeg fine is more than they use anyway, so the D4s is huge in comparison. and no RAW.I rarely shoot RAW, it is completely unecessary All the pros grade their footage these days. So you are going to very quickly want at a minimum 4K and 10 bits in a ProRes HQ or similar pro codec format.Tough, they will get what comes out of the D4 or the compact....I am NOT investing in more kit! I need to know how to use what I have got, not be told it is the wrong thing. Thanks anyway.

Now the D4s has an HDMI-out.I shall be recording to the cards in the camera only - I cannot take a computer in one hand, the camera in the other and be stood on the deck of a fast moving powerboat, jumping waves, while shooting another powerboat, jumping waves..... So you should be able to get at least 10 bits, 4:2:2,The D4 is more quality than I need already... and ProRes HQ with an Atomos Ninja 2 assuming the HDMI-out is a clean signal. In fact the Atomos Ninja 2 was practically invented for DSLR's. I know you are doing your best, but I have no idea what this techno jargon relates toBut let's face it. HD as an acquisition format is quickly becoming obsolete. And if you really want to compete in the video space, I would think 4K is the minimum entry point right now. For half the price of a D4s body, I can get a Panny GH4 MFT with great glass and start shooting fantastic 4K video tomorrow. Good for you - but I said at the start, I have a D4s and that is what I am going to be using, nothing else.And the rumor is that the GH5 later this year will offer 6K video. While at the same time, the Sony A7r II lowlight performance is almost single-handedly redefining video as we know it. But then neither of those cameras have global shutter,Again...que? and you or your peers might shudder at any hint of jello.
    Jello??? Once more...que?
    So as you can see, getting an answer to your questions is not easy. I don't know why it isn't easy - all I wanted was some hnts and tips on how to go about shooting video, with what I have got....you don't need to be a techno junkie to have good video results...but there must be some dos and don'ts, akin to the rule of 3rds in photography - as a starting point.I am not sure how you landed on this forum as a place to ask about video. But I would recommend searching the web for reviews and talking with your peers before taking the advice you might get here. This forum is mostly populated by people who rip movies as a hobby What the hell does this sentence mean? What is RIP A MOVIE?versus those who generate their own content.

I will need translations for the bits emboldened.....into English please! I had to write something here because it didn't let me post the response otherwise...it said my reply was too short or something. I ahve put my bits in red, so it should read sort of sensibly, for gone midnight after having been working since 03.30 this morning.....so don't be offended if it sounds a bit curt. I am knackered.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh - the reason I came here in the first place? Because of the title...HELP VIDEO, I thought that sounded like the sort of place to er, get help wth video!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Videohelp, as in, "I have this video and it..." vs "I am a budding videographer, can you help me...".

I don't really have the bandwidth to answer all your questions, sorry. A little google-fu goes a long way. Just be warned that this camera lacks proper autofocus in video mode and will be less than adequate in an ENG environment and will likely make your viewers seasick, especially with a gimbal, a situation that hasn't improved in even the D5. The D4s is a fantastic camera. A video camera, it is not. But as I said, this is the case for all DSLRs. Also, the Atomos Ninja is not a computer. Again google. And rolling shutter vs global shutter. Again google and youtube are your friends.

But, you already have the camera, so go take some video. Then watch it on a really big screen e.g. 60" HDTV. Then come back here, because you will surely have some questions like, "Why does my video...?"
    Quote Quote