VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have noticed something unusual for the past two weeks. Every time I access VideoHelp's page for any program in the Software and downloads section and click on "Visit developer's site" or download via a direct link, and click on the tab for VideoHelp's page for the software again, within 30 seconds, a popup ad with the following message appears ovelaying the VideoHelp page for the software:

Highly recommended

Update Windows Drivers

Download the DriverUpdate Utility to scan
    and identify out-of-date and missing Windows Drivers

Start Download

ad by driverupdate.net

Both Chrome and Firefox are affected. At first I thought I had accidentally installed malware, but scans find nothing. I decided to check if this happens inside a virtual machine, or when I'm using my HTPC or my mothers laptop, and it does. What is going on? This ad doen't seem like something VideoHelp would want to present to its members
    Quote Quote  
  2. Adblock plus
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Adblock plus
    That would work, but I deliberately disabled Adblock Plus at VideoHelp, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible. I can tolerate one banner ad at the top of the page. The revenue helps to keep this website operating and most ads are from legitimate sources.

This is not a banner ad, and the subject of the ad never changes. I never see it under circumstances other than those described. Sometimes it claims to be sponsored advertising. However, the software being advertised has such a dubious reputation that it doesn't seem like a company Baldrick would want as a sponsor.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2016 at 12:19. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The revenue helps to keep this website operating
    The Ads are still there even if you block them, so whatever revenue is generated from them still goes to website hosting them.
    Some sites only get revenue, or get additional revenue, if you visit the site the Ad directs you to. So make sure you keep clicking on this sites Ads

Personally, Adblock Plus all the way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Some sites only get revenue, or get additional revenue, if you visit the site the Ad directs you to. So make sure you keep clicking on this sites Ads
    As it happens, I do click on some ads at VideoHelp. A fair number of the ads I see are from stores that I shop at at anyway, so why not allow VideoHelp to benefit?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have noticed something unusual for the past two weeks. Every time I access VideoHelp's page for any program in the Software and downloads section and click on "Visit developer's site" or download via a direct link, and click on the tab for VideoHelp's page for the software again, within 30 seconds, a popup ad with the following message appears ovelaying the VideoHelp page for the software:

Highly recommended

Update Windows Drivers

Download the DriverUpdate Utility to scan
    and identify out-of-date and missing Windows Drivers

Start Download

ad by driverupdate.net

Both Chrome and Firefox are affected. At first I thought I had accidentally installed malware, but scans find nothing. I decided to check if this happens inside a virtual machine, or when I'm using my HTPC or my mothers laptop, and it does. What is going on? This ad doen't seem like something VideoHelp would want to present to its members
    When I first read your post I couldn't reproduce the issue, but I just got the same popup you did and in the same way
    Using Pale Moon browser
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post

When I first read your post I couldn't reproduce the issue, but I just got the same popup you did and in the same way
    Using Pale Moon browser
    Sometimes the advertisement takes a little longer to appear. I haven't used Internet Explorer for a while, but I found it is affected as well.

I haven't seen any pop-up/overlay ads anywhere at VideoHelp other than in the software section and they don't appear there unless I use a link on the page. So far I have not seen popups appear showing anything other than ads for the driver update software either. The standard VideoHelp banner ads might be for almost anything, including political organizations.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jun 2016 at 13:19. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    It does vary in the time it takes to appear.
    Shows up whether you are logged in or not
    Always the same ad
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	281
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	37517
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Seems my ad might be different from yours
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm seeing this ad, from driversupport.com instead of driverupdate.net Both organizations are questionable.

Name:	driver support.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	37518
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had Adblock Plus disabled on Videohelp for weeks if not months but don't see any popups only the ads in the placeholders. Nothing like what you guys show. This browsing PC is on XP Sp3 and I'm still running Firefox 39 and have popups blocked under Tools/Options/Content so maybe that has an effect.

****EDIT****
    OK Scrub what I said. I did what usually_quiet said and finally saw one. I went to tools and clicked on the codec pack one. I then chose the site links home page. When I left that site to come back this popup came up

Name:	popup.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	37519

***Edit2***

I tried another site same thing.... Chose Emby Server and clicked the link to their site and it opened in a new tab. There was no popup until I closed their page/tab then this is what popped up

Name:	popup2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	37520

Something else happened too after I came back to the VH tab. In the placeholder at the top of VH page there was an ad that seems targeted. It's an auto company I researched recently. Coincidence? Not sure!

I may have to rethink using the popup blocker unless there is another solution
    Last edited by gll99; 25th Jun 2016 at 23:26.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. This is the problem with internet ads in general. They're designed to take advantage of novice users. I would say quite a high proportion
    are deceptive/malicious and should be avoided at all costs.
    Quote Quote