VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was thinking about ripping my whole dvd collection to my PC. I'm using MakeMKV to rip the dvds. But the picture quality ended up to be very poor and grainy.

So I'm wondering if i use the wrong program to rip the dvd, if my dvd drive is poor to rip or if it's just impossible for a ripped dvd, to get the same picture quality, i get when i play a dvd on a dvd-player.

Btw i use Plex to play the ripped dvd on my PS4.

hope someone can help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'd try ripping with Handbrake to create your MKV file's.

These are the PS4 supported formats
    MKV
    Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. But the picture quality ended up to be very poor
    You should get the exact same quality - except if the DVD has a copy protection that MakeMKV can't handle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Do you get a identical picture quality when you rip using handbreak? I cant be my disc driver that is bad to rip?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    But the picture quality ended up to be very poor
    You should get the exact same quality - except if the DVD has a copy protection that MakeMKV can't handle.
    +1. MakeMKV just rips, it does no re encoding because it doesn't have that capability. Nor does it have good copy protection removal. Ripping and encoding are 2 different things. The picture should be identical. The bit rate of DVD video can be up to almost 10Mb/s ... can your hardware handle that?

Handbrake isn't much good at removing copy protection either ... it's an encoder really, not a ripper as such unless the DVD has no copy protection.

If you want to shrink/compress the file size, which Handbrake does quite well, you aren't going to get the same video quality as the original. Newer codecs like x264 which Handbrake outputs to are better than DVD compliant video but not that much better. But quality is somewhat subjective so whether you'll notice the difference is another question. What sort of screen will you watch it on?

Video encoding isn't simple. There are a lot of good video encoders recommended here but many are really not suited for beginners. Handbrake has a good balance of power and ease of use so it's the one I'd recommend to beginners, along with avidemux. They're both well documented.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No. Using HandBrake you reencode which has a loss in quality unlike MakeMKV that just take the video/audio and put it unaltered in a MKV file. And unlike MakeMKV HandBrake doesn't have any copy protection removal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get dvdfab or anydvd

Rip/Copy the whole complete disc to your hard drive
    This will give a folder that has identical files and quality as the DVD
    That is now copy decrypted, not protected

Now If you want main movie in a smaller compressed format use handbrake
    If you want the same exact quality and file use makemkv
    It simply re wraps the video and audio streams into an mkv file format
    It does Not compress/shrink the file
    It you want small files you are going to have quality loss
    The smaller the file the lower the quality
    Using h264 encoding and a constant quality setting 'crf 16~18'
    Will give a smaller file with good quality, but not a tiny file,
    don't use Fast encoding
    Use slow encoding, everything is a trade off
    Generally you can't get good quality going fast
    And always use constant frame rate, not variable frame rate
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you do decide to re-encode, I would try VidCoder. It's easier to use, IMO, than Handbrake for processing a stack of DVDs and is just a GUI for Handbrake.
    And you will need a decrypter program for all but fairly old DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    The makemkv gule i get is about 7 GB and it looks aweful.. Does that mean my dvd drive is just bad to rip with?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No..
    Don't blame the hard ware for software problems
    If the DVD will play on your PC then there is nothing wrong with your disc drive
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I'm a little surprised at the comments about MakeMKV's decryption capabilities. I haven't run into a DVD yet that it couldn't rip properly. I haven't tried it with many Blu-ray, but it hasn't failed on them either.

A straight rip with MakeMKV will not degrade the video whatsoever. Many have already pointed this out.

What are you using for playback on the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I'm wondering if i use the wrong program to rip the dvd, if my dvd drive is poor to rip or if it's just impossible for a ripped dvd, to get the same picture quality, i get when i play a dvd on a dvd-player.

Btw i use Plex to play the ripped dvd on my PS4.
    try playing the mkv file on your PC

tell us what that looks like

might be Nothing wrong with the MKV file

might be plex and the PS4, or the PS4 TV combination
    what is the connection between the PS4 and the TV
    HDMI ? component , straight old A/V ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    i just found out, that when i play the dvd on my PC with VLC, it looks the same as the MKV file. It's just when i play the dvd on my PS4 it looks so much better.

When i connect my PC to my TV through a HDMI caple and play the dvd it still looks the same as the MKV file.
    Last edited by chillout; 25th Jun 2016 at 05:27.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What PC?
    What display resolution?
    What version Windows?
    Did you try windows media player, PC only not on TV
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    a custom made PC
    uses Win 8.
    the resolution 1920.1080

windows movie player gives the same picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chillout View Post
    i just found out, that when i play the dvd on my PC with VLC, it looks the same as the MKV file. It's just when i play the dvd on my PS4 it looks so much better.

When i connect my PC to my TV through a HDMI caple and play the dvd it still looks the same as the MKV file.
    The poor quality you see when you play your files is probably due to interlacing artifacts. Many hardware DVD player (in this case a PS3) can deinterlace when you play a DVD disc. If not, your TV will automatically deinterlace interlaced video it receives from a DVD player (in this case a PS3).

VLC does not deinerlace unless you set it up to do that. Handbrake and Vidcoder don't deinterlace unless you instruct them to do it. I don't use Plex, and have no idea if Plex automatically deinterlaces when it re-encodes interlaced video for streaming
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2016 at 13:34. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    okay. thank you very much for the help
    Quote Quote