VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone! I'm new on this forum and I have two questions about Blu-Ray subtitles.

1) What font size usually used on Blu-Ray discs (Resolution: 1920x1980)? How many pixels is?
    Screenshot for example: https://i.imgsafe.org/c7c97f028a.png

2) How can I open Blu-Ray sup file for see all information about font style, size, etc? Is it possible?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, BD subtitles are based on pictures.
    So I'm afraid that no general text-info can be retrieved from bd sup files.
    When you load the supfile in BDSup2Sub, you can see the size of each subtile.

Cheers
    Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit will allow you to create and visualize PGS subtitles for the video in question, and edit to taste.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your responses.

OK, I get. So, I have one question. Is it possible to set two or more fonts in one .sup file like in subtitles on The Lord of the Rings' Blu-Ray (Arial for general subtitles and ITC Weidemann Medium for Elvish words)? If it's how can I do it in BDsup2sub or easySUP? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Subtitle Edit it's pretty easy, and acts similar to any word processor. Just highlight the subs and click the standard slanted I.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    In Subtitle Edit it's pretty easy, and acts similar to any word processor. Just highlight the subs and click the standard slanted I.
    Can you elaborate on that?

Ayer asked to put two or more different fonts in a single .sup file. I wouldn't know how to let SE do so because I never dealt with it. I always create separate tracks (flagged "forced" or not) for different fonts or "foreign/tribal" speak. Maybe you have to create 2 separate SUP files and later merge them, if possible? I'm keen also how to do this, since Ayer asked for this.
    (I think technically it should be possible since SUP is based on pictures. For that matter, any picture could be in SUP. But what software will do so?)

Cheers
    Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  7. But what software will do so?
    In Subtitle Edit just create the subtitle as .ass and use available formatting.

Then use File -> Export -> Blu-ray sup.. (or use the .ass in EasySUP)
    Last edited by videobruger; 1st Jul 2016 at 03:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm gonna check it out.
    Thank you videobruger
    Quote Quote  
  9. I should mention:

Subtitle Edit doesn't handle all ass override tags well(like {\pos}). If it's just a matter of changing font it's OK. Else EasySUP gives a better result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the extra info.

I have been not using EasySUP for a long time anymore, in the first place because of the built-in SUP-export convenience in SubtitleEdit.
    Also EasySUP has a 24 fps bug (which can be corrected withBDSup2Sub) and I don't like the manner it handles the lower side of SUP concerning characters like "g" , "j" etc. (they seem flattened).
    SubtitleEdit does this better IMO and also has the possibility - independently from "Font size" - to manually enter the "Line height", which I'm very font of
    But I will check EasySUP again; maybe it reacts differently on .ass input.

Cheers
    Ennio
    Quote Quote